Advertisements
SRT-4 TD04 Turbo Upgrade BWS on PT GT

Like Tree22Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2017, 12:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default SRT-4 TD04 Turbo Upgrade BWS on PT GT

Was looking to purchase an AGP Big Wheel Stock Turbo. Web site like Modern Performance sells these for example. There they say you can run as is but better to get a custom tune.

Why a tune? Will this give me enough extra flow that I'll out flow my 577cc injectors? Should I just upgrade to next size up injectors and do a rescale tune? What more would be needed.

I have a Diablo Intune2 now and looking for a custom tune if needed for this setup.

The only mod to my car is K&N cold air intake and HeartThrob 2.5" cat back. It is a 2006 PT GT Convertible MTX

Anyone running this minor upgrade TD04 turbo. Is there already a tune done I can buy and load?

Thanks
Old 13 Sep 2017, 01:35 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: SRT-4 TD04 Turbo Upgrade BWS on PT GT

i would skip it. at the end of the day you're in a PT Cruiser, built for cruising. a fun car but it will never be a fast car, it will just be a kinda-quick car that is less reliable.

just my 2
Old 13 Sep 2017, 03:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageman View Post
Was looking to purchase an AGP Big Wheel Stock Turbo. Web site like Modern Performance sells these for example. There they say you can run as is but better to get a custom tune.

Why a tune? Will this give me enough extra flow that I'll out flow my 577cc injectors? Should I just upgrade to next size up injectors and do a rescale tune? What more would be needed. And at least one member here will likely tell you to just forget all that stuff, get a rattle can of dilute NOS and install a wet injection kit.

I have a Diablo Intune2 now and looking for a custom tune if needed for this setup.

The only mod to my car is K&N cold air intake and HeartThrob 2.5" cat back. It is a 2006 PT GT Convertible MTX

Anyone running this minor upgrade TD04 turbo. Is there already a tune done I can buy and load?

Thanks
Right now, you are pulling about 12 psi of boost max. My custom Stage 1 PCM and factory turbo does 15 psi. However, you can go up to around 18 psi with stock components with the right tune. And with more aggressive tuning, you can go substantially higher with the factory turbocharger with larger Stage 2 fuel injectors an aftermarket wastegate and a 3 bar MAP and TIP sensors.

So basically, there's a lot that can be easily gained using the stock turbo, a different tune and some other minor component upgrades. Beyond this, you start needing to do a lot more to get any good out of a larger turbo.

Playing off what Rob already said, I believe the turbo PT is a great car for some fun street-level performance. Just adding a Stage 1 PCM or DS canned tune really seems to make these cars fun to drive. But to me, you are wasting your money and effort to go much further beyond this unless you plan to race your PT. And some of our members do that and post their times here. That's very cool, but it's not for everyone and there are much better cars for serious racing.
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Sep 2017 at 03:42 pm.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The member GTPT05 is building a Performance Convertible PT Cruiser and not only knows what he is doing has done lots of research to find the best parts to get for money spent that will work. I suggest that you perhaps PM him or read his on going build thread.

There is a lot of information available Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk about what many claim works but in the end it does not tale much to wake up the 2.4 with a Stock Turbo. And a lot of considerations before increasing power out put.
Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts

GTPT05 Convertible Performance Build ongoing:
'05 GT convertible build
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

PERFROMANCE PARTS ENGINEER
"not a Professional Engineer"
Engineers are people who design, construct and test structures, materials and systems
while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost.

& ase =Already Seriously Experienced
RICE(r)Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
Old 13 Sep 2017, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

PLEASE NOTE I 'LIKED" your response!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Right now, you are pulling about 12 psi of boost max. My custom Stage 1 PCM and factory turbo does 15 psi. However, you can go up to around 18 psi with stock components with the right tune. NOT something I would post And with more aggressive tuning, you can go substantially higher with the factory turbocharger with larger Stage 2 fuel injectors There is NO such Factory thing for PT Cruisers an *aftermarket wastegate and a 3 bar MAP and TIP sensors.

So basically, there's a lot that can be easily gained using the stock turbo, a different tune and some other minor component upgrades. Beyond this, you start needing to do a lot more to get any good out of a larger turbo.

Playing off what Rob already said, I believe the turbo PT is a great car for some fun street-level performance. Just adding a Stage 1 PCM or DS canned tune really seems to make these cars fun to drive. But to me, you are wasting your money and effort to go much further beyond this unless you plan to race your PT. And some of our members do that and post their times here. That's very cool, but it's not for everyone and there are much better cars for serious racing.
Posting a time slip only means they like sharing nothing more!

As I often suggest k.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) add a 75hp shot of Nitrous and you will easily be in the mid 12's with very little other parts beyond the basic's mentioned.
* parts not needed and may be hard for some to dial in just to be as quick as ^^^
I strongly suggest a baseline DYNO run only to see what your starting power is so that you dont get caught up in the HYP of what the theoretical power can be!

Engineers are people who design, construct and test structures, materials and systems
while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost.

Old 13 Sep 2017, 04:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]I strongly suggest a baseline DYNO run only to see what your starting power is so that you dont get caught up in the HYP of what the theoretical power can be!
+1
When they tell you to get a "custom tune," they should be talking about on a dyno. A canned tune is mostly just going to be a guess. They can be educated guesses, but slap it on a dyno and take the guessing out. It's not like you are going cheap if you are changing cartridge wheels. It will let you match your exhaust/intake mods too. If there were a specific tune to match the bigger wheel turbo, they'd probably be trying to sell it to you.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 04:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I already have "tunes" from Diablo sports as mentioned via Intune 2. Came with a 91 Octane or 93 Octane pre canned. Makes a significant difference. Now I want a little more.

So my question is very specific please. Has anyone installed the AGP Stock Big Wheel Turbo from AGP? What did you do for a tune if done at all. Worked with DS 93 canned tune? etc.

Per AGP you don't need a tune... but should get one ...?????.

If indeed get 15% more CFM with this BWS TD04 Turbo will the 577 injectors be able to keep up else I need 577*1.15 = 664cc injectors correct?

Then don't I just need a rescale my code just for the PWM driver for injectors? That should put me well in the ball park yes? The just get wide band and check some ranges?
Who has done just a rescale tune. Can it be done with just Intune2 UI directly or must edit the tune file and reload?

But which tune to leverage? my stock tune or DS 91 or 93 tune (not published maybe by DS).

Maybe I must work off stock tune which I have file saved and create my own 91 and 93 for BWS Turbo with little more advance and boost. so now I need more than just rescale (Ugh)

I don't want to go over 18 PSI, so won't change any sensors. I just want to use BWS Turbo if I believe I can get another 15% HP/Torque.

Please advice if you uses BWS Turbo, what you did or how I can add new injectors and rescale PWM drive only and that makes sense

Fun Stuff and learning Rookie wants to know please if you know

Last edited by Vintageman; 13 Sep 2017 at 04:55 pm.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 05:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The problem is...only a couple of us have done what you are wanting to try. If you are asking these questions IMHO you need to find someone that can directly and physically work with you on your PT Cruiser that has experience in engine performance upgrading preferably from a Performance Shop and not a DIY..
Your last response I know seems to you to be clear is not very realistic and WILL cause you problems that I truly foresee you more headaches then rewards. Anyone can make horse power and or torque for a few seconds and then you will be buying and replacing parts.

Old 13 Sep 2017, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post

Posting a time slip only means they like sharing nothing more!

...I strongly suggest a baseline DYNO run only to see what your starting power is so that you dont get caught up in the HYP of what the theoretical power can be!
Actually, posting a time slip shows that someone else actually raced. It's kind of like someone saying that did a bunch of DYNO testing but then never shows any of those results. There's no way to know if they actually did this nor if they even know how to interpret the results if they did. On the internet, folks often make claims like this that they can't support. It just perpetuates those MYTHS you like to talk about.

You see real data can stand on it's own and doesn't have to be hidden. And when folks have something to hide, well, it means they have something to hide. But instead, those that do actually race and do actually mod their cars with successful results usually have good stuff to share. You and I should encourage this all we can.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Sep 2017 at 05:30 pm.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 05:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

I never want to chase anybody away, and I certainly want to hear about the results from this project, but you might have better luck surfing the SRT4 forums. More of those guys race and share their stuff than here.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.