PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Progress in changing TB and WP

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Sep 2017, 03:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Progress in changing TB and WP

So yesterday I removed the waterpump and cleaned up a bit so now it's starting to look better. Does anybody know what the bolt that looks like you could fill some oil or something into is for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6548.jpg (69.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 14 Sep 2017, 05:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Progress in changing TB and WP

That is the pressure relife bolt cover (DONT REMOVE HAS LARGE SPRING UNDER IT) part of oil pump
Old 14 Sep 2017, 05:59 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks, so I will definitely not open that one.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 02:38 am
Regular Cruiser

Read that the generator is hard to remove so i removed it while it's fairly easily accessible. Thought i'd at least check the "coals" but noticed that it's not so easy as with my alfas to check since it seems you have to dismantle the whole generator. The car has about 100.000 miles on it and the bearings seem tight.

Any experience one when the generator normally stops working because of wore out "coals". I mean the diodes etc can always brake unexpectedly but the coals probably wear out in about the same milage.

Is it worth dismantling to check while it's out or am i planning to much ahead?

How hard is it to remove the generator when the engine is sitting in the car? I mean do you have to raise the engine or is it just "hard" because it's very tight but doable without having to tear down to much if it should brake later on?
Old 21 Sep 2017, 06:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

I"m not sure what you mean by "coals", ed. If you're referring to the two pieces of carbon that contact the armature of the generator, then over here we call them brushes. It's not that difficult to check them while you have it out and may provide you with some peace of mind, if you do. I've seen some wear out in under 100,000 miles and I've seen some go well over 200,000. You just never know. If you have or can purchase a new set locally, then now would be the time to do it. And I sure hope you have all of your timing marks set before you put that water pump and timing belt back on. Have fun with it.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I"m not sure what you mean by "coals", ed. If you're referring to the two pieces of carbon that contact the armature of the generator, then over here we call them brushes. It's not that difficult to check them while you have it out and may provide you with some peace of mind, if you do. I've seen some wear out in under 100,000 miles and I've seen some go well over 200,000. You just never know. If you have or can purchase a new set locally, then now would be the time to do it. And I sure hope you have all of your timing marks set before you put that water pump and timing belt back on. Have fun with it.
Yes it's the brushes I mean Chuzz, they are called coal in Swedish, German and Czech so I just googled the translation to English.
When you say it's not difficult to check them, you mean to split the generator apart or is there an easier way to just inspect?
Do you know where to source the brushes as locally I can forget to source them.
And yes put the engine in TDC and checked the crankgear and camgear marks, marked the old belt with two marks across both camgears and the crankgear so that should be ok. Changed the TB on my old Alfa Romeo GTV GP V6 among other cars as well so it's not the first time I change the TB.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

IIRC, ed, you just remove the long bolts that hold the case together and slowly separate it. The coals are in the back half of the case and you can see them easily enough. It's been several years since I replaced them in any of my cars, but the back of the case should have two small holes that you can place a stiff wire in to hold the new ones away from the armature while you put the case back together. After you get it back together, you simply remove the wires. I have no idea where you'd buy replacements anymore as I don't have a clue what type auto parts stores you have there. I'd suggest trying to find them on amazon or ebay if you can. If you look under use listings, just type in "alternator brushes" for your search. Interesting that they're called "coals" there. Maybe because of the carbon content?

Charlie
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:12 am
Veteran Cruiser

Ed, what year is your PT? I forgot.

Charlie
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:13 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
IIRC, ed, you just remove the long bolts that hold the case together and slowly separate it. The coals are in the back half of the case and you can see them easily enough. It's been several years since I replaced them in any of my cars, but the back of the case should have two small holes that you can place a stiff wire in to hold the new ones away from the armature while you put the case back together. After you get it back together, you simply remove the wires. I have no idea where you'd buy replacements anymore as I don't have a clue what type auto parts stores you have there. I'd suggest trying to find them on amazon or ebay if you can. If you look under use listings, just type in "alternator brushes" for your search. Interesting that they're called "coals" there. Maybe because of the carbon content?
Thanks chuzz, yes coals because of the carbon which also is called coal in those languages. By the way what does IIRC mean?
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:14 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Ed, what year is your PT? I forgot.
2003 2.0 Litre