Advertisements
Yes another question on Iridium Plugs

Like Tree12Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2017, 08:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Yes another question on Iridium Plugs

Hey All, I'm sure this topic has been beat to death many times but what is the general consensus on Iridium spark plugs.. Champions in particular.. good, bad, don't waste yer money, better than sliced bread. Easy enough to change them out.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 10:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Yes another question on Iridium Plugs

There will likely never be a consensus on spark plugs on any car forum. And the reason is that most name brand spark plugs are going to perform about the same in a daily driver. And in most cases, the specialty plugs like the Iridium plugs don't perform or last any better than the standard copper plug.

There are exceptions. Some of the platinum plugs have been shown to not work well in turbocharged engines. However as big a subject as this is, there is very little actual testing data available to indicate a substantial performance gain from the regular choices of specialty plug. And don't be fooled by those on internet forums claiming one plug is better than another based on testing unless they can provide that data for review. Plus, if a plug is known to perform well in racing, that's no indication it has any advantage in a car used for daily driving.

A lot of folks on this forum chose to use standard Champion plugs because that's what came new in our cars. I myself like NGK plugs because they've always served me well and I almost never find one that isn't gapped correctly from the factory. But this is just a personal opinion. That's really what most folks use when buying spark plugs anyway.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Sep 2017 at 10:04 am.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have not seen personally any problem during Platinum plugs in a turbo. I've only seen damage plug with s burnt valve. Not mine. I will use them because I don't like to change them often. But do as you wish. It's your car after all.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Sep 2017, 10:36 am
Senior Cruiser

I think the general consensus is good but not worth the money.

The higher priced metals do not really add to performance, but they can last considerably longer. If you plan to change your plugs often, I wouldn't bother. If, like Busted, you want to leave them in? Go for it.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 01:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Spark Plug manufactures WILL tell you there is NO truth to the MYTH that started years ago ( 80's) about Turbo engines having issues with any specific spark plug.

There is lots of good information which spark plugs are better choice to use you just need to know where to look and who to ask (spark plug manufactures) for it. Unfortunately most of that data is internet found from less then the best sources and in reality one really needs to be in the circles of both professional racer's and Performance Engine builder to get the real stories and information. Surprisingly you would find many of them even today will use a single electrode spark plug.

The PT Cruiser ignition as it is and the coil pack can only provide a good supply of maximum spark energy up to about 3600 rpm and then that energy starts to dip off. This means that your engine efficiency to sustain its power level above those engines speeds start to diminish. While many say they do not feel this and they would be incorrect, the effect is there and can accurately measured. These are many times also those same people that when you talk to them will tell you that the coil and most any spark plug and their various untested chosen plug gaps work most efficient. These statements would be "butt dyno" and poorly reported information.

The optimum spark plug gap setting for the ignition system on a PT Cruiser for engine speeds from idle and exceeding around 3600 rpm is .040-.042. A few simple short power run and pulling any spark plug can verify optimal gap settings. This is NOT an opinion and anyone can easily confirm by using an oscilloscope and a load bearing Chassis DYNO. The waste spark system, coil pack of the gasoline 1.6 and 2.4 Chrysler engine only has a limited amount of spark energy to release. You can not create more electrical energy by itself not already capable with the OE or aftermarket OE 2 single coil system commonly called the mitsubishi coil pack.

Owners of PT Cruisers have very few that are Performance oriented to build higher engine output that truly consider upgrading their ignition system beyond an after market Performance OE replacement coil pack and better spark plug wires. Also there are very few that are experienced with doing so and rely much in part on the internet for their response information on threads like this. This is why they constantly ask for DATA because they can not find it anywhere to begin with and or would rather other's do the work and benefit from those results using other's obtained DATA. The Little Red Hen story! If these same members question other thread subject experienced members responses then they should get off their arse and go to a shop and do their own testing and DATA acquisitions. I am sure that they would quickly find that some of us actually do know what we are talking about and DO NOT NEED to fill the forum full of DATA that would surly become nothing more then more information to debate and argue about its methodology of collecting that said DATA (been there done that and never again for me) because these same members that don't do will always question others that DO and their information.

I have given at least 2 ways that anyone can do their own testing to find what works best when choosing a spark plug and the best gap to adjust it to. These are also excellent ways to comment about my recommendations and information posted with a little more informed and personally obtained experence.

NitroPT recommends for all 1.6 and 2,4 gasoline engines basically stock engines Champion copper single electrode gapped at .042.

My choice of spark plugs and also much of the information I posted came was either learned or directly came from a well known individual in the Performance field both marketing a long time successful ignition line of products and who also is a PhD. E.E.

Copied in case it is deleted or edited for future posting

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 Sep 2017 at 01:58 pm.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
NitroPT recommends for all 1.6 and 2,4 gasoline engines basically stock engines Champion copper single electrode gapped at .042.

My choice of spark plugs and also much of the information I posted came was either learned or directly came from a well known individual in the Performance field both marketing a long time successful ignition line of products and who also is a PhD. E.E.

Copied in case it is deleted or edited for future posting

This is just the kind of thing that creates internet MYTHS and keeps the debate on spark plugs going.

The part above in GREEN is good. A member gives his choice on a spark plug and how he like to gap them. By the way, you can get the NGK plugs come gapped like this already since similar Chryslers have used this gap for many years.

But in the RED part, the member then tries to back up his choice with some undefined experience and/or from some other unknown individual with a PhD. These statemenst add nothing to sure up his opinion. But later someone reading this will then repeat the unsubstantiated claims. Thus, internet MYTHS are perpetuated.

According to those that like him, NitroPT is known for doing quality and detailed repairs on cars. So his opinion on spark plugs can be taken on that alone. It's not necessary to reference suspect or non-existent data, testing and experts that cannot be provided. Let's avoid this kind thing.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 02:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
This is just the kind of thing that creates internet MYTHS and keeps the debate on spark plugs going.

The part above in GREEN is good. A member gives his choice on a spark plug and how he like to gap them. By the way, you can get the NGK plugs come gapped like this already since similar Chryslers have used this gap for many years.

But in the RED part, the member then tries to back up his choice with some undefined experience and/or from some other unknown individual with a PhD. These statemenst add nothing to sure up his opinion. But later someone reading this will then repeat the unsubstantiated claims. Thus, internet MYTHS are perpetuated.

According to those that like him, NitroPT is known for doing quality and detailed repairs on cars. So his opinion on spark plugs can be taken on that alone. It's not necessary to reference suspect or non-existent data, testing and experts that cannot be provided. Let's avoid this kind thing.
Handy_Cruiser, we can do without the negative posting.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 02:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

FWIW, the story about platinums being worse for turbos is an old one. The electrode is not full platinum, it is plated. The anecdotal evidence was that the plating was flaking off under high boost. I believe it was specific to Bosch platinum core. This started with old T1 2.2s which people were upping the boost in without even adding an intercooler. Suffice it to say, they were pretty hot. I am pretty sure that this was accepted information coming from guys like Donovan and Gus who have been there and done that, but now the plugs are probably better and the whole story was probably blown out of proportion by one instance.

I have literally never heard of a single problem with them at stock boost levels and I ran them in my turbo Stealth for 180K miles (originals + 1 replacement set)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by Fk5; 22 Sep 2017 at 03:07 pm.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

You rummage through thus forum and others a find someone's work and the reword it as your own. Giving no reference to the original person. That my friend is a forum myth. Making yourself the delivery if all knowledge. When in fact you are the myth. The you call out NITRO_PT AND make it appear your the boss on this forum and say that the backup and references to others work is false. Trying to discredit him and making yourself king and the finale say on who can be trusted. The final say and boss is CREWZEN. And far as who really knows what on here. You are definitely not the judge on this forum. Get some help buddy. Being the one one the top of the head is not that important. And you just don't have the professional experience to pull it off any way. Quit starting fights.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Sep 2017, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Make up your mind Todd. First you tell me on several threads and PM's not to name drop to support my responses, now you say I should?
I also gave enough clues to who this individual is!

You never seem to read my responses very well or clearly do you?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 Sep 2017 at 03:07 pm.
Closed Thread