PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
can't clear P0340

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2017, 11:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Arrow can't clear P0340

2001 P.T. 150k miles, rusty but trusty in the past. Turns over but doesn't start, throws a P0340 code. I checked the voltages at the 3 wire plug; fine. I replaced the camshaft position sensor with one from Autozone still won't start with a P0340 code. Bought an oem camshaft sensor from Chrysler thinking the aftermarket part was shoddy. Still no start with a P0340 code. I've verified that I have spark at #1 plug. Fuel pressure at the rail. I checked the fuses & relays and I can hear the fuel pump start. Timing belt is turning engine over.

Do you think the magnetic trigger at the end of the camshaft might be bad? I've read here that there's been some failures but it doesn't seem common. I've been through the P0340 threads.

Any ideas? Thanx gang!
Old 02 Oct 2017, 11:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: can't clear P0340

I hope that you are first using a good quality Diagnostic Scanning tool at the Diagnostic connector? OBDII

Clearing a engine trouble code does not mean you are correcting the ECU information concerning a possible problem. If you go to the monitors you will see that clearing a code the monitors may still be in fault. All this means is that you have not resolved the issue.

The camshaft magnet and the reports of them going bad if FAR fetched to say the least but given I would be ridiculed by a few on this forum if I suggested they can not go bad, I won't.

At this point you should look at the factory Service manual for specif procedure to check the area the engine code is displaying.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Oct 2017, 01:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTJones View Post
2001 P.T. 150k miles, rusty but trusty in the past. Turns over but doesn't start, throws a P0340 code. I checked the voltages at the 3 wire plug; fine. I replaced the camshaft position sensor with one from Autozone still won't start with a P0340 code. Bought an oem camshaft sensor from Chrysler thinking the aftermarket part was shoddy. Still no start with a P0340 code. I've verified that I have spark at #1 plug. Fuel pressure at the rail. I checked the fuses & relays and I can hear the fuel pump start. Timing belt is turning engine over.

Do you think the magnetic trigger at the end of the camshaft might be bad? I've read here that there's been some failures but it doesn't seem common. I've been through the P0340 threads.

Any ideas? Thanx gang!

The reports of magnet failure are almost always for the 2001/2002 PT's. However, these are usually reported to cause intermittent problems. If you just wanted to eliminate this as a potential cause, a magnet from a salvage PT would likely be good since reports of magnet failure are rare. Just make sure it comes from a 2001/2002 PT. They were changed in 2003.

Has the timing belt ever been changed? Once passed their service life, these belts have been known to slip and throw a P0340. It's often accompanied by the crankshaft code as well, but not always.

PS: You may want to clear the trouble code and then attempt to start the car. If legitimate, this code will often return during cranking.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Oct 2017 at 01:37 pm.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 03:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your Camshaft and Crankshaft sensor is working properly I would suggest checking the coil. The coil can be arcing to ground causing it to trigger a code.

If the coil is working properly I would suggest checking the engine cylinder compression to see if your timing belt has slipped a few teeth.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 03:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

I don't know of any particular problem with PTs having issues with the magnet, but I have seen cars where the magnet cracks and causes intermittent problems. This is usually from hack mechanics over-tightening when changing the sensor. <knock wood> I think I torqued mine correctly.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 04:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Arrow Re: can't clear P0340

At this point, the oem magnet is only $21.00. I'll try that next. If it turns out to be a timing belt issue, I'll junk the car. Not worth my hassle or cost (at a dealer) to replace it. I didn't know about the coil issue. You're the first to mention it. The P0340 is the only code turning up. Because the car won't start and its still generating a P0340 only I'm attacking that first. Not crankshaft sensor (P0344 I think) or timing belt. I also hadn't run across timing belt throwing a P0340 code. Can anyone else corroborate that? Thanx all.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest trying to start the engine with the camshaft sensor wire connector disconnected. It can take up to 30 seconds of hard starting to get it started if there is a possibility the ignition timing is off.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 07:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTJones View Post
At this point, the oem magnet is only $21.00. I'll try that next. If it turns out to be a timing belt issue, I'll junk the car. Not worth my hassle or cost (at a dealer) to replace it. I didn't know about the coil issue. You're the first to mention it. The P0340 is the only code turning up. Because the car won't start and its still generating a P0340 only I'm attacking that first. Not crankshaft sensor (P0344 I think) or timing belt. I also hadn't run across timing belt throwing a P0340 code. Can anyone else corroborate that? Thanx all.
The easiest way to check for a slipped timing belt is to remove the top dust cover on the right side of the engine. Then removed #1 spark plug and get the piston all the way up on the compression stroke. The sprockets should align like this:

As far as relating a P0340 for the timing belt, here's a list of threads on this. It doesn't always turn out to be the timing belt but sometimes it does. Some of these threads will be good reading for your issue:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pt+c...w=1920&bih=904
Old 03 Oct 2017, 10:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Arrow Re: can't clear P0340

Thanx PtcruiserSteve & Handycruiser, both great suggestions I"ll try to eliminate unkown factors. I'm working on it outside in the off/on rain so it doesn't have my full attention right now.
Old 09 Oct 2017, 07:03 pm
Young Cruiser

you can remove one battery cable and hold the cable end against the other battery post to drain the PCM, hold it together for 10 seconds, then if that cured it,drive steady non stop for 5 miles to do a PCM relearn..