Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator fan (probably) bad, what else?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2017, 01:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Radiator fan (probably) bad, what else?

So, I am 97% sure my radiator fan broke. Something right there makes a horrendous sound, and the symptoms all match up for that to be the case. My question - Do I replace anything else at the same time? I did a quick google search and came across this link (https://www.2carpros.com/articles/re...tric-fan-motor) which is clearly a PT Cruiser, so I have that going for me. I am specifically wondering if I need to replace the radiator (I doubt it, 2007 with 115K miles on it, and no overheating issues, at least yet) or possibly the brushes? I have a few more weeks of decent weather left, before it is just too cold and dark to do much outside. Thanks in advance,
Old 02 Oct 2017, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator fan (probably) bad, what else?

Have you replaced your radiator hoses?

Have you replaced the HOAT coolant if you had the Pt Cruiser since it was new?
Old 02 Oct 2017, 04:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No to both. I was thinking it might be good to change the hoses now, but I wonder if it is worth removing and replacing the radiator as well? And I bought the car with about 40K on it, so the coolant has not been maintained. In for a penny, in for a pound. Replace the radiator, and the coolant? Worth it? I doubt it, but I will already be in there... I had to change the relays this spring, and that was easy enough. I looked at a fan swap video today, and I am worried I might not have enough daylight today to get it done.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 08:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Radiator fan (probably) bad, what else?

I looked at this a little more this afternoon. The fan is spinning freely by hand, and it didn't feel anything broken inside the housing. I noticed the problem Saturday when I heard what sounded like a small air leak that lasted about 2 seconds after I turned off the engine. This morning, it sounded like a blade was hitting something inside the housing. Now, back to nothing... Any ideas on what else would make that kind of noise?
Old 03 Oct 2017, 03:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Any ideas on what else would make that kind of noise?
Could be anything from a dead leaf to a chunk of radiator popping out to a mouse that fell asleep.

Start and run it to temperature and check that the fan cuts in OK, and if it does, and it's not overheating or losing coolant follow the old adage of if it's not broke don't fix it.

Coolant... easy job (provided you take your time burping it) and worth changing just so you know, but I wouldn't go ripping it apart unless I had to.
Old 05 Oct 2017, 08:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Is there a quick way to find out if my 2007 has a 3 pin or 4 pin radiator fan? I don't want to do this twice. Thanks!
Old 05 Oct 2017, 08:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese_retriever View Post
......Saturday when I heard what sounded like a small air leak that lasted about 2 seconds after I turned off the engine. This morning, it sounded like a blade was hitting something inside the housing. Now, back to nothing... Any ideas on what else would make that kind of noise?

the hissing noise is the high and low side AC equalizing when the compressor stops spinning. this noise is normal, even though you don't hear it all the time.

the fan hitting something this time of year could be a mouse seeking warmth, or the fan blades destroying it's home, or fallen crispy leaves that just happened to find their way inside the shroud...
Old 05 Oct 2017, 08:53 am
Senior Cruiser

I actually had an old 2.2 turbo Laser where the engine rolled forward and the fan hit something on the engine (thermostat housing I believe because the motor mounts were shot. Chewed up the edge of the blade, but was fine otherwise. I have never seen or heard of anything like that with a PT and believe me, my mounts are almost gone.
Old 05 Oct 2017, 01:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese_retriever View Post
Is there a quick way to find out if my 2007 has a 3 pin or 4 pin radiator fan? I don't want to do this twice. Thanks!
The connector is on the lower driver's side of the fan near the radiator drain plug. Be careful, if you know Chrysler plugs, you'll know there is a red lock that needs to be moved out of the way (usually out) before the plug can be pulled. You can then easily see whether you have a 3 or four pin plug. Usually the 3 pin versions will have the relays mounted near the firewall while the 4 pin versions have the relays mounted on the fan housing on the top-passenger side. The 4 pin plug is actually part of a harness that then goes to a 3 pin plug/socket on the fan assembly itself.

A picture of my 09 fan replacement (old one of the right). The plugs at the top are actually on the bottom when the fan is installed.

Old 06 Oct 2017, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! I replaced the relays this summer, and have had some experience with the locking clip on this and The Warden's 2002 Grand Caravan. Sounds like mine is a 4 pin. Any major differences in manufacturers on these? Rockauto has TYC, GPD, Spectra, Four Seasons, and VDO. The price range goes from around 65 - 95 each. I don't know enough about any of these companies to know if the quality is worth the extra cost. I think my local auto parts place has Dorman, and it was around $100.

Tags
radiator, radiator fan, radiator fans