Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By buddyd61
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By RVC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2017, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Cruiser owner with questions

I thought I got the deal of the century when I paid $150 for a 2005 touring Edition w/ air, steering, brakes, 5-speed, Kenwood Stero, and new tires. the car looks almost new. the previous owner was told by a certified mechanic that she had a blown engine and the repair would be $6,000. I ran all of the normal tests for a blown head gasket and was unable to find a problem. The plugs look good, the compresson is within 5 pounds on all 4 jugs, The coolant does not "bubble" when the engine is running. the engine runs strong and and smooth. I had an overheating problem and a code of po116. I changed the coolant temp sensor, the thermostat, and the associated gaskets. when the code was reset I had a different symptom and a different code.Now I have a po118. the car no longer overheats but the temp gauge registers for only about 2-3 seconds then drops to nothing. The check engine symbol is on and the engine overheast symbol is on. I'm an old time shade tree but don't know a lot about the computer cars. Can anyone give me some direction to pursue this problem Many Thanks, Buddyd61. If I have violated any protocols or rules it was unintentional.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Cruiser owner with questions

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Sounds like your problem could be as simple as a bad temperature send unit or the leads going to it. This is what I would check first since it's can be a likely cause of the temperature gauge not reading.

Here's a link to a copy of the 2005 PT Service Manual that you can safely download from my Google Drive. It will show you the location and how to change it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

Also, check for any visible signs of past overheating just to make sure. Often what kills a PT Cruiser is radiator fan failure. Make sure you fan is working correctly.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Oct 2017 at 03:56 pm.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 04:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I. Would suggest checking the. Ground. Wires on the drivers inner fender. Sometimes the group of wires lose contact with the fender.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Many Thanks Handy_cruiser for the download of the manual. I bought a Haynes but it is only a $25 confusion device. I looked at the manual u let me have. It goes into more detail than I hope to need. Very nice and I thank you. I also appreciate the quick response to my quest. I'm finding that I like this forum. Nice Folks on here. I'm in central western Georgia. Columbus to be precise. Home of the Infantry Center at Fort Benning.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, ptcruisersteve, I will check that next.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyd61 View Post
Many Thanks Handy_cruiser for the download of the manual. I bought a Haynes but it is only a $25 confusion device. I looked at the manual u let me have. It goes into more detail than I hope to need. Very nice and I thank you. I also appreciate the quick response to my quest. I'm finding that I like this forum. Nice Folks on here. I'm in central western Georgia. Columbus to be precise. Home of the Infantry Center at Fort Benning.
Very cool. I spent better part of a year in Columbus while at the Infantry School after I got my commission. I was part of the 95 Infantry Division in the Reserves. Our mission was to conduct an Infantry Center to mirror Fort Benning's at Fort Polk, Louisiana should war break out. Our unit conducted AIT for new trainees during the Summer. I ran automatic weapon ranges like the M249 SAW.

That's some beautiful country where you live. Get rid of that stinging nettle and it would be very nice.
podo2000 likes this.
Old 03 Oct 2017, 06:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Ft. Benning and Ft. Polk! Man, does that bring back memories. I was there in 69 & 70 and then to Phu Bai. Sorry for going off topic, but as I said, lots of memories.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles