PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 Cruiser - Multiple Trans Codes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2017, 10:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 Cruiser - Multiple Trans Codes

Hello everyone,

This forum seems to come up more often than any other whenever I start looking for answers to the many issues I have encountered so I figured it would be a good place to post my most recent dilemma!

First off, I work in the medical field so I am not familiar with all the mechanical terminology as well as I would like. I am fairly mechanically inclined though and would refer to my skill set as a certified parts changer (though I might not always know the name of the part...)

I am working on a 2005 PT Cruiser Base (No Turbo). When I purchased it the speedometer wasn't working and it gave me an error code (can't remember the number) which Advance Auto stated was for a Speed Sensor. Shortly thereafter it began going into Limp Mode. Took it back to Advance, confirmed it was still only the one code and I replaced both the input and output sensors. While I had it on the lifts, before reassembling the battery tray and air intake, the speedometer worked fine and the error code went away. Excited I had fixed it I took it off the lifts and took it for a test drive only to immediately note the speedometer was once again not working, the error code was back and now in addition to limp mode it would shut off while slowing down to turn. Which brings us up to the present.

Yesterday my father in law brought over a computer and we determined that it now has the following codes: PO500, PO501, PO700, PO701 and PO891. With many of these pointing toward the Transmission Control Module I have attempted, very unsuccessfully, to find a replacement part. If not for finding one on Advance Auto and having actually seen the part in my PT I would believe the part didn't exist.

Questions:
1.) Is there another name for the TCM on my PT? I've found ECMs and have read about PCMs and while they seemed different they looked fairly similar.
2.) Has anyone ever experienced a similar issue? If so what was the fix?
Old 03 Oct 2017, 07:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 05 Cruiser - Multiple Trans Codes

Check transmission solenoid pack. You have an 8mm bolt in the wire harness connector to remove, then 3 10mm long bolts that hold it to the transmission. I found a good one at the junkyard for $20. The key is to make sure you get one that has red transmission fluid in it and NOT burnt fluid. That would be one bad part for another. Or, you can buy a new one with a warranty on it. Like this.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/tra...033=Show%20All

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Last edited by chuzz; 03 Oct 2017 at 07:37 am.
Old 03 Oct 2017, 02:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

the tcm is integrated with the pcm (powertrain control mod) the wife had a million weird codes and intermittent problems as well. I changed everything electrical in the tranny- including the shift pack and it turned out to be the pcm. a tranny shop has the means to bypass the pcm and check these components fwiw.... as long as they are honest and good... one shop told the wife it needed a new tranny :/this seems to be the best way to rule out the pcm.
ours took a crap at 90k miles btw
ps, many members have had great luck with aftermarket pcm's- that will be your task to research which brand. being in Arizona and breaking down during the summer can be bad (for the wife) every sensor, shift pack and pcm replaced was genuine mopar....

Last edited by rambojoe; 03 Oct 2017 at 02:32 pm.
Old 03 Oct 2017, 03:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the transmission control relay in the power distribution center. Check to make sure fuse #15 in the PDC is good and providing voltage to the transmission control relay in the PDC.
Old 03 Oct 2017, 04:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

His is an 05. Is the tcm integrated in the 05 models? I didn't think they started that until 06.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 03 Oct 2017, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
His is an 05. Is the tcm integrated in the 05 models? I didn't think they started that until 06.
The image below shows the transmission relay in the PDC for a 2002 Pt Cruiser.

https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/up..._154140683.jpg
Old 03 Oct 2017, 09:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

From 2003 and up the TCM is integrated into the PCM. It is the green plug on the right of the PCM for automatics. Of course there is no TCM required for manual cars, so on those manual PCMs, there are no pins in the green connector.
Old 03 Oct 2017, 10:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The link below is for the Transmission Relay for the 2005 Pt Cruiser from RockAuto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ion+relay,3036
Old 03 Oct 2017, 11:00 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
From 2003 and up the TCM is integrated into the PCM. It is the green plug on the right of the PCM for automatics. Of course there is no TCM required for manual cars, so on those manual PCMs, there are no pins in the green connector.
Like these 2?

On this PT you can see that there is no wire connection on the green of the PCM:

And on this PCM you can see that there are no pins in the green connection:

Old 04 Oct 2017, 05:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

chuzz - Any idea how to test the solenoid?

ptcruisersteve - Checked the relay or rather swapped it with the AC Relay. Both times the AC worked fine. Thank you for the insight on that one and providing the link though!

rambojoe - Sounds identical, I was just about to give up and take it to a shop... my budget tends to like it better when I do it myself but it looks like I might not have an option. Any idea how they go about testing around the PCM as it pertains to my situation?

TCM in the PCM is making sense now... just finished tearing it down and reassembling it and noted what I initially thought was the TCM appears to be the Solenoid. Odd thing happened and I'm not sure whether it's a clue or just the intermittent problem being absent. I took it all the way back down as I did when I changed the sensors. I noted polarized rust on the battery tray arm so I sanded and painted it with rustoleum. Then I began assembling it one part a time with the battery suspended on a bungee and took it for a test drive everytime. It worked perfectly each time until I put the bumper and grill on. Thought it might be grounding out when I attached it so I took it off only to discover no metal, only plastic and rubber. Sure enough though I left it off and it test drove with no issues. I'm going to drive it to work tomorrow night to give it 2 30mile trips to confirm. I'm still going to look into the PCM and start studying up but I was curious if this made any sense to any of you?

One other thing, aside from giving the tire wells something to secure to the bumper also seems to keep debris from getting to the air box on the driver side. Despite having only Trans codes I thought that it might not be getting enough air which should put it into limp so I removed the box with the bumper attached but it still stalled out. I'm planning to study the wiring diagram to see if maybe one of the bumper screws could be connecting with a wire but thought it was worth mentioning.