PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I've got a bit of a problem...any idea's?

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Sinbad
  • 3 Post By rob302
  • 1 Post By Silver_Sleeper
  • 1 Post By Fk5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Oct 2017, 06:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default I've got a bit of a problem...any idea's?

As some of you know, I'm new on here and this is the first PT Cruiser I have owned. It's a 2.4 limited auto and it seems to be the first of the G2 ones. This is what happened, I was driving to work, set the cruise control to 60mph and all of a sudden, the engine started playing up after a few minutes. It seemed like it was missing above around 2,200 rpm. The cruise control cut out as well. I nursed it to work. When I finished work, it started up fine so I drove it home, but after around 5 miles, it started missing again and couldn't go above 2,200 revs again. I had a look at it and thought it may be the coil pack. I went out in it again and it run really well. I went to work in it again and it was playing up again but on the way home this time, it drove perfectly. Any ideas what it may be. I've ordered a new ignition pack and plugs, but I'm thinking it may be something else.
Old 03 Oct 2017, 06:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: I've got a bit of a problem...any idea's?

Could be almost anything - plug breaking down, lead(s), coil pack, shit in the petrol, cam or crank sensors ducking out etc etc...

try taking a vid with your phone next time it does it (stationary of course ) and posting it - might help.

In the bright side, it's definitely not your wheel bearings
Tony7 likes this.
Old 03 Oct 2017, 06:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

any check engine light? any codes? when it acts up does the exhaust stink rich, or burn your eyes lean?

coils on GM cars, ignitors in Hondas, TFI modules on fords all seem to fail when hot and work again when cold, so i see why you'd go that route.. i'd look for codes before buying any (more) parts. for a PT, a cam or crank sensor would have been my guess.

when my coil failed and it made the car run on 2 cylinders, and the car made a "duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh" sound at idle. also threw 2 misfire codes for the 2 dead cylinders
Fk5, JDK52 and Tony7 like this.

Last edited by rob302; 03 Oct 2017 at 06:29 am.
Old 03 Oct 2017, 06:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Cam position sensor
Tony7 likes this.
Old 04 Oct 2017, 08:34 am
Senior Cruiser

Cam position sensor would be my guess too, but it should throw a code.
Old 04 Oct 2017, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony7 View Post
As some of you know, I'm new on here and this is the first PT Cruiser I have owned. It's a 2.4 limited auto and it seems to be the first of the G2 ones. This is what happened, I was driving to work, set the cruise control to 60mph and all of a sudden, the engine started playing up after a few minutes. It seemed like it was missing above around 2,200 rpm. The cruise control cut out as well. I nursed it to work. When I finished work, it started up fine so I drove it home, but after around 5 miles, it started missing again and couldn't go above 2,200 revs again. I had a look at it and thought it may be the coil pack. I went out in it again and it run really well. I went to work in it again and it was playing up again but on the way home this time, it drove perfectly. Any ideas what it may be. I've ordered a new ignition pack and plugs, but I'm thinking it may be something else.

The cam sensor would throw a Check Engine Light and a trouble code. Usually it's P0340. If the Check Engine Light comes on when this happens, you need to pull the codes and let us know what they are. You can use the "Key Dance" if you don't have a code reader.

My Key Dance video

However, getting your own inexpensive code reader is highly recommended if you plan to work on your own PT.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.walmart.com/ip/OxGord-OB...&wl13=&veh=sem
https://www.harborfreight.com/can-ob...ool-62119.html

Again, let us know what the codes are if you have them. However, if you find that you have no trouble codes, I'd try some fuel cleaner first because it's cheap and easy to try. If me, I'd mix in about half bottle of a cheap red bottle of STP fuel cleaner along with half of a bottle of HEAT fuel dryer.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Oct 2017 at 09:01 am.
Old 04 Oct 2017, 09:29 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The cam sensor would throw a Check Engine Light and a trouble code. Usually it's P0340. If the Check Engine Light comes on when this happens, you need to pull the codes and let us know what they are. You can use the "Key Dance" if you don't have a code reader.

My Key Dance video

However, getting your own inexpensive code reader is highly recommended if you plan to work on your own PT.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.walmart.com/ip/OxGord-OB...&wl13=&veh=sem
https://www.harborfreight.com/can-ob...ool-62119.html

Again, let us know what the codes are if you have them. However, if you find that you have no trouble codes, I'd try some fuel cleaner first because it's cheap and easy to try. If me, I'd mix in about half bottle of a cheap red bottle of STP fuel cleaner along with half of a bottle of HEAT fuel dryer.

FWIW, mine threw P0344
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 09 Oct 2017, 06:57 pm
Young Cruiser

check engine light on??