Advertisements
My head gasket blew Again!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2017, 11:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default My head gasket blew Again!

Hey guys,

Iíve been cruzing. I think I put 35,000 miles on my car after I did the head gasket myself. But today I was driving my car. Parked for a second, upon restarting the engine I saw the temp light on. Then I saw the temp gauge almost pinned.

I heard some bubbling also from res tank.

Still need to check it out. Iím letting it cool down now.

A few days also I might have heard some bubbling. Also I noticed the red tank low and topped it up about a week ago.

Maybe related, my ac stopped working a few months ago. If I jiggled the high pressure switch the compressor would kick on. I was certain it was a bad connection. So I actually cut and soldered the two wires together. I checked the pressures before and after and they were fine. A few days ago I did here the compressive blow off valve kick open for a brief second. Always cold air.

Temp gauge was always perfect, half way.

This sucks.
Old 07 Oct 2017, 12:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My head gasket blew Again!

I would suggest you do a coolant compression test to see if your engine coolant system is sealed.

Check your radiator cap to make sure it working properly;

Check the little hose between the radiator cap and the overflow tank. if it is leaking it will put air in the coolant system.

You will need to change your thermostat as when it overheats the thermostat can stop working properly. If you heard some bubbling a few days ago the thermostat might have gotten damaged at that time and partially caused the issue you have now.

Are you using HOAT coolant?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 07 Oct 2017 at 12:14 am.
Old 07 Oct 2017, 10:52 am
Cool Cruiser

I am using hoat.

I will look into all those other things you suggested.

Iím thinking itís just the radiator fan. Itís running, but I donít think fast enough, Iím not sure there is currently two speeds either.

Itís driveable, if Iím going down the road. If I throw the heat on, the temp drops. There is still coolant in the system. Iím going to look at it today.
Old 07 Oct 2017, 11:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A failed radiator fan would be might first thought.

Also, pressure tests are not that accurate with small head gasket leaks. Many, including those on our engines, will sometimes only leak after the engine is thoroughly heat soaked and under load. A chemical test for combustion gas in the coolant is going to be much more definitive.
Old 07 Oct 2017, 11:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
A failed radiator fan would be might first thought.

Also, pressure tests are not that accurate with small head gasket leaks. Many, including those on our engines, will sometimes only leak after the engine is thoroughly heat soaked and under load. A chemical test for combustion gas in the coolant is going to be much more definitive.
It's always a good idea to start with the basic diagnosis before getting into more difficult diagnosis such as the chemical block test. We need to make sure we find the cause of the overheating before fixing whatever damage it does to the engine if we don't want the same thing to happen again.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 07 Oct 2017, 12:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
It's always a good idea to start with the basic diagnosis before getting into more difficult diagnosis such as the chemical block test. We need to make sure we find the cause of the overheating before fixing whatever damage it does to the engine if we don't want the same thing to happen again.
Steve,

I never said he OP shouldn't find the source of the overheating. The radiator fan is the first place to look per my earlier post. Try to stay focused here so we can help the OP. Also, the Chemical test is going to be simpler than a pressure test and likely less expensive if the OP doesn't already own the gear for the pressure testing.
Old 07 Oct 2017, 01:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Steve,

I never said he OP shouldn't find the source of the overheating. The radiator fan is the first place to look per my earlier post. Try to stay focused here so we can help the OP. Also, the Chemical test is going to be simpler than a pressure test and likely less expensive if the OP doesn't already own the gear for the pressure testing.
Handy_Cruiser.
If you had not said anything about the chemical testing I would have not posted but unfortunately you did. Chemical testing only verifies the that the member has a blown head gasket but does not verify what caused the overheating in the first place. Lets find out what caused the overheating first.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 07 Oct 2017, 04:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Letís not make this a pissing contest.

I changed the thermostat the rad fan and bled the coolant.

Promising so far. The fan feels and sounds faster. I think.

Will test in about half hour and report back.
Old 07 Oct 2017, 07:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Iím cruzing again!

No more over heating issues so far. It was the fan.

Anyone who buys a dorman rad fan. It has a lifetime warranty, just change it ever 20,000. Why not?
rckstein and dougs like this.
Old 07 Oct 2017, 08:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTloser32805 View Post
Iím cruzing again!

No more over heating issues so far. It was the fan.

Anyone who buys a dorman rad fan. It has a lifetime warranty, just change it ever 20,000. Why not?
Glad to hear that you got it fixed and are back cruisin'

I'll bet that was a big relief to you that it wasn't the head gasket

After you replaced the head gasket did you check the fan operation at that time? If so, was it working correctly then and just happen to go bad after the head gasket work, or it was the cause all along of the head gasket?