Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'03 PT Cruiser - No Reverse - Automatic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2017, 11:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default '03 PT Cruiser - No Reverse - Automatic

Hey guys... just joined the forum to see if can get any advice on the below.

Looking at used cars and came across one (PT Cruiser) that I can get pretty cheap that looks really nice (especially being in Canada, most are starting to rust out) but seller says it lost reverse.

Automatic... not manual... seems when I search online most results are a quick fix with the manual, if it's not a bad transmission. Not much for automatics.

I've seen some posts about a solenoid under the hood that affects shifting, but usually people are talking about nosing 2nd gear or something, no mention of reverse.

I'm pretty handy and have done my own car work for 10yrs thanks to forums and YouTube, and if something I can fix myself, great... but if it is indeed a transmission, I may be outta luck... I work in the driveway and have no special tools for that kind of job.

Anyways... just looking for some feedback. I know can't say 100% for certain what the issue is online, and I have yet to see it in person, but, could it be something other than the trans? something I can check when I go look? will it be something my ODBII bluetooth adapter will detect?
Old 07 Oct 2017, 12:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '03 PT Cruiser - No Reverse - Automatic

Chances are you are probably going to have an issue with the reverse clutch in the transmission unless you have some transmission codes that has been triggered.
Old 07 Oct 2017, 08:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: '03 PT Cruiser - No Reverse - Automatic

Was afraid of that... too bad too, just saw a guy giving away a transmission for free with 140,000km on it, but lives 5h from here.

Tags
reverse, transmission