Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Airaid Airmax and throttle body spacers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2004, 02:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Airaid Airmax and throttle body spacers

Hello all, I just purchased a used Cruiser about a week ago and must say im not very impressed with the MPG which is currently about 19. Other than that I love it![?] I've been looking into getting an airfilter system like the Airaid or Airmax. Also a throttle body spacer. I've been eyeing the throttle body spacer simply because of the possible MPG increase, I wouldnt mind the extra HP as well . What caught my eye on the Airmax filter system is the intake pipe which swirls the intake air just like the throttle body spacer. Wouldnt this feature add increased MPG as well?[:I] Whats all this talk about cold air intake? If I understand the theory correctly cold air adds more power by telling the computer to add more fuel, therefore you would have less MPG but added power? Would a header, exhaust system, throttle body spacer and aftermarket air filter increase the current MPG if I could manage to stay off the throttle? It would be great if these items would, I'd dig on the added power as well. I just need to stick to my story when telling my wife that its really for added MPG![B)] Any and all feedback on my situation would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08 Jul 2004, 03:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Dont buy the spacer. I havent heard of any performance improvements that the spacer gives. If you want better mileage put in a K&N dropin, and turn off the AC. that is how i get up to the sticer 30mpg. (highway of course; usually about 25 in town being nice)
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 08 Jul 2004, 03:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

I forgot to mention I've had two individuals give thumbs up on two seperate occasions for the cruiser in a one week period. (Bragging rights? [8D]It must be the flames)
Anyways, the specs given on the throttle body spacer I was looking at are:
up to 22hp
up to 4 mpg
up to 25 ft lbs torque
these ratings cant be for a cruiser of course but it looks good.
Old 08 Jul 2004, 04:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

I got 2-4 mpg (depending on my lead foot) with the Powerade spacer. People are going to tell you for the most part that it doesn't work but I kept a detailed mpg log on my '01 auto PT from the time it was new, before and after the spacer. I did not get any extra HP, but the mpg went up. The engine was already broke in at 28,880 miles and tops for mpg in combo city, country highways and freeways was 20 mpg before the spacer. After the spacer I got 22-24 mpg. The '01 is now my wife's and without a chronic lead foot like I have she gets 24 mpg. If I hadn't kept a detailed mpg log I probably wouldn't have believed it either.....Don't get the Airmax intake. It's overpriced and the swirling air thing is BS. If you want a nice intake that keeps out the hot engine air then get an Airaid intake. It's not spendy and does the job. It uses the bottom of your airbox and keeps out the hot air. I put one on the '01 when it was mine. It sounds and works great. My wife likes it too and told me when I got my GT I couldn't have it.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 08 Jul 2004, 07:09 am
Cool Cruiser

I got another 1-2 MPG using the spacer also. But had to remove it when I installed my GT intake & bored TB (won't fit) Not sure if it helped performance all that much.

Sounds like you have an auto tranny there & doing a bit of city driving.Higehest I got was 28 on a long distance highway trip. usually I get between 17-21 in the city depending if I keep my foot in it or not.[8)]
Old 08 Jul 2004, 07:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Oh BTW, I kept a detailed log also thats how I knew if it worked.
Old 08 Jul 2004, 11:19 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Robster

I forgot to mention I've had two individuals give thumbs up on two seperate occasions for the cruiser in a one week period. (Bragging rights? [8D]It must be the flames)
Anyways, the specs given on the throttle body spacer I was looking at are:
up to 22hp
up to 4 mpg
up to 25 ft lbs torque
these ratings cant be for a cruiser of course but it looks good.
Yea and a pig can fly. Even the people who make it don't believe that. If you are getting 19 mpg that is what the window sticker rates for city. If you bought it used invest in a new set of spark plugs and a new air filter. I put a K & N FIPK and Bassani exhaust but didn't get any better mileage I can't say that it won't help I tend to push the gas pedal a little harder. Runs better and sounds better.All kidding aside if you bought a Cruiser for the gas mileage your not going to get much better that what the window sticker states. Keep in mind you are pushing a 3200 lb car that's as aerodynamic as a barn door thru the air. All these mileage boosters do is lighten your wallet.
Old 08 Jul 2004, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Grouch

Quote:
[i]Yea and a pig can fly. All these mileage boosters do is lighten your wallet.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Jul 2004, 06:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a '02 NA. City driving (leadfoot) I get 18-20 mpg, highway best I got was 27.1 AFTER I installed a Airaid Air Box, prior to that I was getting 17-19 city, 21-23 hiway. I have been very pleased with the filter. IMHO!!!!
Old 08 Jul 2004, 07:03 pm
Young Cruiser

I bought the spacer too. Its a good waste of $95. If it worked for other people, Great! But its worthless to me. Thanks,
02\' Patriot Blue Cruiser, dual cat back exhaust, blue under car lights, airaid cold air intake, throttle body spacer and custom sound system.*Xenon front bumper (crusher), polished aluminum gas door.