PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Correct TIPM for 06 PT Wagon ?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2017, 04:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Correct TIPM for 06 PT Wagon ?

I'm mostly certain that my PT Cruiser needs a new TIPM, but I have a hard time to find any reseller.
This is for a 06 PT Cruiser, Limited, Wagon, 4 Cylinder, 2.4 L, DOHC

Based on Dorman and other lookups if should fit the Dorman 599-909, but the original TIPM part is a P56049719AL (based on sticker on it) - which isn't compatible and I can't find any places which have these in stock (looking for new or remanufactured).
(Dorman show P56049719AL for Convertible and no longer available)

So I'm confused... Either all the lookup tools are wrong or they are compatible or something is weird on my car.

- Martin

(PS: In case someone wonders what the symptons are: Had a few times the engine turn off while driving - RPM and fuel and instrumation lights stay on, but turn signal doesn't work [except warn signal] and speedometer shows 0 even when still rolling at 50 mph to side of highway. Now got P0700 and P0882 and got into limp mode. Checked cabling between PCM and TIPM which looks good.)
Old 10 Oct 2017, 06:28 pm
Banned

Default Re: Correct TIPM for 06 PT Wagon ?

Welcome to the forum

Contact Dorman via chat on their website and they will give you the correct part number of their TIPM for your PT. Then search RockAuto website using the Dorman part number.

Several months ago when my PT needed a new TIPM, I found the RockAuto website had errors. They had listed a Dorman TIPM part number, that doesn't even exist. But when you get the correct one, it's very easy to install and basically plug-n-play, just follow the included programming instructions. When removing your old one, be careful of the 3 big connectors so you don't break them while trying to unlock them, it's a 3 step process. All of the smaller connectors just have a single locking tab.

When you get a chance please go to the Welcome New PT Cruiser Members section and create an intro thread

Last edited by rckstein; 10 Oct 2017 at 06:33 pm.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 06:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Welcome to the forum

Contact Dorman via chat on their website and they will give you the correct part number of their TIPM for your PT. Then search RockAuto website using the Dorman part number.
I did this, but their reply was limited, telling me that 599-909 won't work (as I expected - it's not referring to the ...AL version) and 599-938 is no longer available (which is listed for the convertible PT Cruiser, but matches the P56049719AL part from my car). In their email, they claim to don't have the right part.
That's why I'm confused. Based on their info, the part in my PT Cruiser is for a convertible, but it's the wagon. Something sounds wrong here...

Quote:
Several months ago when my PT needed a new TIPM, I found the RockAuto website had errors. They had listed a Dorman TIPM part number, that doesn't even exist. But when you get the correct one, it's very easy to install and basically plug-n-play, just follow the included programming instructions. When removing your old one, be careful of the 3 big connectors so you don't break them while trying to unlock them, it's a 3 step process. All of the smaller connectors just have a single locking tab.
I have another request open with carid - hope they can suggest something, but was curious with all the people here who swapped their TIPM on which model they found (or if they would just go with what Dorman etc claims on their website as compatible, even if the part number suggest otherwise)

Thanks,
Martin
Old 10 Oct 2017, 06:53 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizdon View Post
I did this, but their reply was limited, telling me that 599-909 won't work (as I expected - it's not referring to the ...AL version) and 599-938 is no longer available (which is listed for the convertible PT Cruiser, but matches the P56049719AL part from my car). In their email, they claim to don't have the right part.
That's why I'm confused. Based on their info, the part in my PT Cruiser is for a convertible, but it's the wagon. Something sounds wrong here...

I have another request open with carid - hope they can suggest something, but was curious with all the people here who swapped their TIPM on which model they found (or if they would just go with what Dorman etc claims on their website as compatible, even if the part number suggest otherwise)

Thanks,
Martin
Are you the original owner to your PT? If not, it's possible that a previous owner replaced the TIPM with something that they found.

If you call a dealership, using the VIN for your PT, they will give you the correct MOPAR part number for the TIPM that should be in your PT. I will tell you that the MOPAR replacement is about $1000 not including installation if you have the dealership replace it, and will also require a programming fee of about $150 additional. Hopefully you can find a replacement Dorman as they are about $250, after the core credit, and are plug-n-play.

What is the 8th digit of your PT VIN? That is your engine code.

Last edited by rckstein; 10 Oct 2017 at 07:11 pm.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 07:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here is the Alldata diagnosis procedure for P0882

I would suggest making sure you do a battery load test. The TIPM is sensitive to low battery voltage.

One member checked the transmission wire connections under the battery box, took it apart, put dielectric grease on the connectors, and it fixed the P0882 code.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Oct 2017 at 07:22 pm.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Are you the original owner to your PT? If not, it's possible that a previous owner replaced the TIPM with something that they found.

If you call a dealership, using the VIN for your PT, they will give you the correct MOPAR part number for the TIPM that should be in your PT. I will tell you that the MOPAR replacement is about $1000 not including installation if you have the dealership replace it, and will also require a programming fee of about $150 additional. Hopefully you can find a replacement Dorman as they are about $250, after the core credit, and are plug-n-play.
No, I'm not the original owner. And checking with a dealer is a great suggestion, no idea why I didn't think about this (only tried to avoid their high prices, so never crossed my mind). I'll definitely do this tomorrow.

Quote:
What is the 8th digit of your PT VIN? That is your engine code.
It's 'B'
Model is Body style: WAGON 4-DR
Engine type: 4 Cylinder, 2.4 L, DOHC (non-turbo)
Limited Edition

- Martin
Old 10 Oct 2017, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Here is the Alldata diagnosis procedure for P0882

I would suggest making sure you do a battery load test. The TIPM is sensitive to low battery voltage.
Thanks for diagram, I found this before and used it to verify the wiring (before I decided to swap TIPM next).

The battery is less than 6 months old and voltage is fine (always > 13-14V)

I believe the symptom clearly points to TIPM (or less likely the PCM), assuming the cable is ok. (Happy to hear other suggestions).

The weirdest issue was really the engine turning off (no stuttering or anything, just a silent turning off of engine, no error code) in the middle of driving. Happened 3 times over the last 2 months. When it happens, the lights stay on on instrument panel, fuel level and rpm continue to show correct, but speed shows 0, left/right turn signal do not work anymore, but warn (blinking) lights still work. Car starts immediately again with no issues at all and no error code is show at all.

- Martin
Old 10 Oct 2017, 08:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

I don't think you should get hung up on the letters after the part number. They only indicate revisions to the part or programming, and generally meaningless. If the Dorman 599-909 is compatible with the actual part number of your TIPM, which I am sure it is, regardless of the letters, then I think it will work in your car.

Your current 56049719AL is now superceded with an AR.

Code:
Manufacturer: Mopar 
Part Number: RL049719AR 
Part: Block-Totally Integrated Power 
Replaces: 56049719AI, 56049719AJ, 56049719AK, 56049719AL, 56049719AM, 56049719AN, 56049719AO, 56049719AP, 56049719AQ, 56049719AR
Since the AR covers all previous revisions, and if any of those older revisions are covered by the Dorman, then by deduction I would have the tendency to believe the Dorman 599-909 will work. I guess it is possible that it wouldn't, but that would be one of the items I would take a leap of faith on. Good luck.
rckstein and Carnut like this.

Last edited by myckee; 10 Oct 2017 at 08:27 pm.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 08:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I don't think you should get hung up on the letters after the part number. They only indicate revisions to the part or programming, and generally meaningless. If the Dorman 599-909 is compatible with the actual part number of your TIPM, which I am sure it is, regardless of the letters, then I think it will work in your car.

Your current 56049719AL is now superceded with an AR.

Code:
Manufacturer: Mopar 
Part Number: RL049719AR 
Part: Block-Totally Integrated Power 
Replaces: 56049719AI, 56049719AJ, 56049719AK, 56049719AL, 56049719AM, 56049719AN, 56049719AO, 56049719AP, 56049719AQ, 56049719AR
Since the AR covers all previous revisions, and if any of those older revisions are covered by the Dorman, then by deduction I would have the tendency to believe the Dorman 599-909 will work. I guess it is possible that it wouldn't, but that would be one of the items I would take a leap of faith on. Good luck.
So, based on your knowhow the last letter is a revision and a later version (should) work. Good to know. My assumption was a different (incompatible) programming with the same physical form factor.
How much risk is there involved? (Ignoring the TIPM cost, assuming they give a return right if it's the wrong part). Any risk on seriously damaging anything?

I'm also curious on how you got to part RL049719AR. Based on a VIN lookup on mopar.com, the part should be R6049719AR.

- Martin
Old 10 Oct 2017, 09:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well there is some risk involved as far as cost goes, because generally for electrical parts they do not take them back. So I guess its good you are being cautious. I strongly doubt you would fry something electrically since the mopar parts seem to be interchangeable with even older revisions than yours. Probably the Dorman cataloguer got lazy or missed those revision letters not listed. That's my assumption.

I got that part number by entering your old number on Tasca Parts website. It usually will spit out the latest superceded part number as it did in this case.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...wer-rl049719ar

They too ask for your VIN and will verify the part number. Your remanufactured part number on Tasca Parts comes up much cheaper and almost the same price as the Dorman part at Rockauto. So, I guess you should check at the dealer as Rick suggested to find out which part number is the correct one.
rckstein likes this.

Last edited by myckee; 10 Oct 2017 at 09:05 pm.

Tags
tipm p56049719al 2006