PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 limited no fire

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2017, 11:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 limited no fire

I just bought a 02 limited with 73000 miles on it (auto trans),it will turn over but has no fire,i looked at timing belt to make sure it was not broke but that's all ive done,what all do I need to check and where is it located on the car ,thanks
Old 17 Oct 2017, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02 limited no fire

Suggest getting an OBDII Scan Tool and check for diagnostic trouble codes.

Is the little red security light on all the time when you are cranking the engine?
Old 17 Oct 2017, 12:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes06ptcruiser View Post
I just bought a 02 limited with 73000 miles on it (auto trans),it will turn over but has no fire,i looked at timing belt to make sure it was not broke but that's all ive done,what all do I need to check and where is it located on the car ,thanks
Fuses #10 & 11 (both 10 amp) in dash fuse-block
Fuse #13 (20 amp) in the under-hood Power Distribution Center (PDC)

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 17 Oct 2017 at 01:05 pm.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 02:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
First check for trouble codes with either an OBDII reader or using the "Key Dance". If you have a code reader, do NOT use it to erase the codes yet.

Unlike the 2003 and later PT's, the 2001/2002 PT's have the older JTEC PCM (computer) with separate TCM. These usually will not run at all if the camshaft sensor fails and there will be no spark. If you bought the car not running, this might be the issue since cam sensor failure is pretty common. And if so, you may have a trouble code stored if the battery has not been discharged or removed for too long.

Check this and the fuses mentioned first, then report back and we will help as needed.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 03:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Look at the passenger side axle and make sure there aren't a couple of wires hanging down and rubbing on it.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
First check for trouble codes with either an OBDII reader or using the "Key Dance". If you have a code reader, do NOT use it to erase the codes yet.

Unlike the 2003 and later PT's, the 2001/2002 PT's have the older JTEC PCM (computer) with separate TCM. These usually will not run at all if the camshaft sensor fails and there will be no spark. If you bought the car not running, this might be the issue since cam sensor failure is pretty common. And if so, you may have a trouble code stored if the battery has not been discharged or removed for too long.

Check this and the fuses mentioned first, then report back and we will help as needed.
It is suggested that you don't use the "Key Dance" as members have gotten confused and have replaced unnecessary parts before realizing the OBDII Scan Tool is the way to go with much more information for diagnostic purposes.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 17 Oct 2017 at 03:10 pm.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 03:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
It is suggested that you don't use the "Key Dance" as members have gotten confused and have replaced unnecessary parts before realizing the OBDII Scan Tool is the way to go with much more information for diagnostic purposes.
Time to give it up, Steve.

The key dance can be very effective for members without a code reader. If you disagree with me, thousands of others and Chrysler too, that's okay. But please quit bringing it up in every thread. Let's stay focused on the OP's issue.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Time to give it up, Steve.

The key dance can be very effective for members without a code reader. If you disagree with me, thousands of others and Chrysler too, that's okay. But please quit bringing it up in every thread. Let's stay focused on the OP's issue.
Time for you to give it up too. I went through this myself when I started working on my Pt Cruisers. Many other members agree with me so I think it's better if you stop giving out this advice that may or may not be good. Stay focused that not everyone has the same skills we do. I don't see ASE mechanics using the key dance at the dealers.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 17 Oct 2017 at 03:29 pm.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks guys for the info.where can I get one of these scan tools,auto zone?
Old 17 Oct 2017, 04:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
thanks guys for the info.where can I get one of these scan tools,auto zone?
I am probably the #1 proponent of the key dance, but sure you should be able to buy a scan tool at auto-zone. You will probably find a bigger selection online or at Harbor Freight.