PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2.0 Litre CAMS?????

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2017, 03:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2.0 Litre CAMS?????

So, interesting question....... I was thinking of rebuilding the motor if I must rebuilt the trans for the second go around. I was looking at some performance cam options. But I really don't want to be bothered spending $500.00 on crane or crower cams...... and then have to get forged rod/pistons. Plus chromolly springs/retainers. And then no one makes a hand held for the 2003 PT computer, so I'd have to get a 2004, and have it flashed and thats hard with aftermarket stuff. I was told today that some guys were taking cams from the old 2.0 Litre neon and sticking them into the 2.4 Litre PT head, the grind/lift was much bigger and gave a lot more bang,a nd you could use stock retainer/springs. any ideas on this?
Old 18 Oct 2017, 07:07 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2.0 Litre CAMS?????

Waste of time.

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.89at 115mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 08:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

what he said ^^^ You would be better off to do some exhaust work.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 09:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

just use a belt sander to change the back and sides of the lobes from the stock size on the left to the new size on the right. the hydraulic adjusters should make up the difference in height and it'll force the valve lift to increase by the amount ground off the back, in this case lift increases by 0.20. if you go over 020 you may need to shim the base of the lash adjusters with washers. note the fatter opening and closing ramps on the pic on the right. this increases overlap and will produce the choppy hotrod idle we all love. recommend trimming these lobe ramps down a bit if the car is automatic though, as it may not idle well since you'll be closer to a 110°LSA. with a stick trans, it'll be fine.

i recommend you print this pic and make a cardboard template so they'll all match.

not a mechanic, just my 2˘

Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
just use a belt sander to change the back and sides of the lobes from the stock size on the left to the new size on the right. the hydraulic adjusters should make up the difference in height and it'll force the valve lift to increase by the amount ground off the back, in this case lift increases by 0.20. if you go over 020 you may need to shim the base of the lash adjusters with washers. note the fatter opening and closing ramps on the pic on the right. this increases overlap and will produce the choppy hotrod idle we all love. recommend trimming these lobe ramps down a bit if the car is automatic though, as it may not idle well since you'll be closer to a 110°LSA. with a stick trans, it'll be fine.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...1&d=1415212148

i recommend you print this pic and make a cardboard template so they'll all match.

Man, I didn't know they made rednecks that far north of Arkansas. Let's get them sanders and git her done.

PS: The way the PT engine rockers are made, it decreases the effect of the lifter pre-load. Basically the arm on the lifter (slack adjuster) side is substantial longer than on the cam-follower side. So you really cannot take that much off a stock 2.4 camshaft without topping out the lifter and creating lash. Anything other than a extremely mild grind is going ruin a set of PT camshafts. I can give you the hard numbers on this by PM. Just the facts. I don't want to drag up an old fight here that worked out very good in the end anyway.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 18 Oct 2017 at 10:38 am.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 06:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post

Lash caps ftw LOL
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.89at 115mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 08:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLNeon View Post
Lash caps ftw LOL
Most will not fit. There's guides on the rocker arm that create a track where the top of the valve stem rides. A lash cap that would not bind up in there would have to be very thin and likely not secure enough for long term use. The better choice is to shim the lifters like the turbo Omni guys do. But you can only shim about 0.065" without impacting lifter oiling. And due to the asymmetry of the rocker you get a 1:2.33 ratio on the lifter side. So shimming the lifter 0.060" only buys you around 0.0258" for lash control. And for the cost of adjustable lifters and/or other modified valve train parts to get you further than this you could instead just buy new performance cams on new blanks.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 18 Oct 2017 at 08:43 pm.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 09:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Man, I didn't know they made rednecks that far north of Arkansas. Let's get them sanders and git her done.

PS: The way the PT engine rockers are made, it decreases the effect of the lifter pre-load. Basically the arm on the lifter (slack adjuster) side is substantial longer than on the cam-follower side. So you really cannot take that much off a stock 2.4 camshaft without topping out the lifter and creating lash. Anything other than a extremely mild grind is going ruin a set of PT camshafts. I can give you the hard numbers on this by PM. Just the facts. I don't want to drag up an old fight here that worked out very good in the end anyway.
Why are you posting if you don't want to back up your statement with data? I thought you were complaining about another member not doing it and here you are doing it yourself.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 03:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Why are you posting if you don't want to back up your statement with data? I thought you were complaining about another member not doing it and here you are doing it yourself.
Just like my other thread... this will hijack it too, like the argument over the key dance. Lets stay on track. Sounds like to me, I have to grind some crappy factory cams to a low limit grind and hope I dont bend some lash adjusters and blow the motor... over some random choppy idle sound and 4.3HP increase. Doesn't sound like its worth the hassle. Are the crower or crane cams worth the $500 investment + the springs / retainers of $300? Can I use Factory dished pistons / factory rods with these cams? Plus who the hell programs PT Cruisers?????????? Especially the 1 year random 2003 computer?
rob302 likes this.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 07:44 am
Veteran Cruiser

You would be far better off just to get a GT. I liked Nitro's performance torque converter idea back in the day. Cams people usually want just to say they have cams, and that is the wrong reason. Unless you're upgrading EVERYTHING and raising the rev limit and need a cam to bring your combo together, you'd just be wasting money turning a car that needs a trans into a long term project that will be less driveable, less emission friendly, and will still be slow

Last edited by rob302; 19 Oct 2017 at 07:59 am.