Fresh Cruiser

Default thermostat 2.2 crd is it easy to change

Hi has anyone changed thermostat on 2.2 crd the one with fixed thermostat
seen some on ebay for about £75 or should i get it from pt cruiser company
it looks awkward to get to it got 3 screws on picture
Old 20 Oct 2017, 10:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: thermostat 2.2 crd is it easy to change

No, it's very easy - and don't pay £75 for one... give me half an hour or so and I'll rack my brains and do you a how to from memory, and a link to a sensible priced one on eBay
Old 20 Oct 2017, 11:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post

First, you need to buy this - or something like it: TX Langbit T8 T10 T15 T20 T25 T27 T30 T40 (1/4" Bit, 150mm lang) für Torx Schr. | eBay - size T30

Thermostat (it's a complete assembly, housing, gasket and stat on a CRD) THERMOSTAT MAHLE TI2987 CHRYSLER PT-CRUISER 2,2CRD 02-10 | eBay

Unless you can buy locally cheaper, and cross reference the "herstellernummer" off that thermostat properly, I'd buy that one - delivery from Germany would probably be 5 or 6 quid.
With the state of the Pound I doubt you'll pay much more than 50 quid in total...

How to will follow after coffee
rckstein likes this.
Old 20 Oct 2017, 11:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post

Off to the right hand side as you look at the front of the car, underneath the front scuttle on the back face of the bottom of the radiator, feel around til you find the drain cock - it feels a bit like a butterfly nut. Spray liberally with WD40 a day or so before you intend to do the job.
Find a magnet (an speaker in a hi fi or whatever) and stick the T30 extension on it for a day or so, so it's magnetised.
1) 5 - 10 litre bowl under the radiator, *CAREFULLY* open the drain cock. Be prepared to wiggle it and eff around with it gently using grips to open it - they can seize solid and if you shear it off you will be sitting in a corner crying...
Don't try and open it more than a quarter turn.

2) Once coolant is flowing into the bowl, take the top off the expansion tank at the back of the engine and try to judge how much you need to loose into the bowl - it's around 4 litres. You want the coolant level to drop just below the thermostat, which is an inch or two below the bottom of the coolant tank. Take too much out and you can have a right game refilling and bleeding. Letting just enough out makes it easy.

3) Take the plastic cover off (2 x 10mm at back then pull hard straight up)

4) move any pipes / hoses in the way and locate the Thermostat. Take hoses / temperature cable from thermostat housing and move out the way.

5) Best way with the T30 long wotsit is find an old socket that fits the end (6.5mm if I remember right) and epoxy it in place, but if not, jam it in a socket with paper or tape, then mount on a ratchet - these bolts are not tight, you will be able to use the average 1/4" ratchet.

6) EXCEPT for the one that is at about 5o'clock, carefully undo the bolts and take them out BEING VERY CAREFUL that they stay on the end of the T30. This is why you magnetised it. For extra insurance, use chewing gum - it's easier to clean chewing gum off the screws than dismantle the front of the car to find the screw you dropped... last, do the one at abour 5 o'clock... this is a right moo because you can hardly see it, and if you do it wrong you'll drop the bolt and....
... so hold the thermostat housing and start undoing the last bolt, GENTLY lifting the thermostat housing away in line with the screw as you undo it... you should end up with the thermostat housing coming free with the screw still in the hole and attached to the T30.
You will need to wriggle it about a bit but it will come out.

Replacement = reverse order BUT I would start the "5 o'clock bolt" but don't do it up. Instead hold the thermostat housing away from where it needs to go and start each of the other two bolts in their holes, then push the housing down into position and tighten the bolts.
Torque? I have no idea, but really, just be sensible. It's a fitted rubber gasket and it's on a three bolt fixing - just tight, then an eighth turn? Maybe Google can help.
I just nipped mine up and it hasn't fallen off 3000Km later

Coolant back in, run to temp, check etc etc... Bobs your uncle, Fannies your aunt
rckstein and wingman55 like this.
Old 20 Oct 2017, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all info will come in very handy
Sinbad likes this.