LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Oct 2017, 01:49 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Replaced ECM, now trans downshifts different

Will do.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 07:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

AAMCO. All Automatics Must Come Out. That's all I'm saying.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 02 Dec 2017, 01:10 pm
Young Cruiser

OK, I know it's been awhile, but I finally solved the issue. Took the car to the dealer, and they did the quick learn procedure, and the problem went away, at least it didn't happen again on the 8 mile ride home. They charged $105, less than their hourly rate of $130. They wanted $267 to change the trans oil and filter. I'll be doing that myself, thank you!
PS: AAMCO and the local repair shop I've used before wouldn't touch it.

Last edited by Jeffz; 02 Dec 2017 at 01:13 pm.
Old 02 Dec 2017, 02:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffz View Post
OK, I know it's been awhile, but I finally solved the issue. Took the car to the dealer, and they did the quick learn procedure, and the problem went away, at least it didn't happen again on the 8 mile ride home. They charged $105, less than their hourly rate of $130. They wanted $267 to change the trans oil and filter. I'll be doing that myself, thank you!
Thanks for coming back to report the fix.

The ODB Quick Learn procedure is discussed in the Gen1 and Gen2 Service Manuals, and I have mentioned it several times. But each time that it's brought up, the naysayers try to discount the procedure.

It fixed my transmission shifting issues after the solenoid pack replacement, any my dealership charged about the same as yours did. So, IMO, it was $ well spent.
myckee likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 02 Dec 2017, 02:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffz View Post
Did the dealer check for transmission codes and let you know if there were any?

I took my Pt Cruiser in under warranty for a different issue and the service person said something about a transmission code being triggered in my Pt Cruiser but would not tell me what the code was. I had to go back several times before they gave up and gave me the transmission code. My impression is that sometimes they will just make adjustments and not inform the customer that a code has been triggered.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 02 Dec 2017 at 02:43 pm.
Old 02 Dec 2017, 02:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post

I took my Pt Cruiser in under warranty for a different issue and the service person said something about a transmission code being triggered in my Pt Cruiser but would not tell me what the code was. I had to go back several times before they gave up and gave me the transmission code. My impression is that sometimes they will just make adjustments and not inform the customer that a code has been triggered.
At the dealerships that I use, during the check in process the service advisor plugs a pod into the ODB. This not only reports the vehicle ID to their tablet, which then does a quick service history scan so they can upsell any of their services, but it also does a code scan, for any issues, as well as any pending software updates waiting to be incorporated to the vehicle. Whenever it has shown a code, the service advisor will gladly show it to me.

This pic is of the codes when the TIPM replacement was producing codes, because it needed dealership programming after it was installed:

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 02 Dec 2017 at 02:58 pm.
Old 02 Dec 2017, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
At the dealerships that I use, during the check in process the service advisor plugs a pod into the ODB. This not only reports the vehicle ID to their tablet, which then does a quick service history scan so they can upsell any of their services, but it also does a code scan, for any issues, as well as any pending software updates waiting to be incorporated to the vehicle. Whenever it has shown a code, the service advisor will gladly show it to me.

This pic is of the codes when the TIPM replacement was producing codes, because it needed dealership programming after it was installed:
It's possible that the process is different whether you have a vehicle under warranty or not. My Pt Cruiser was under warranty so they probably were trying to keep costs down.

Was yours under warranty when they gave you the report?
Old 02 Dec 2017, 06:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

glad you got it sorted

Last edited by rambojoe; 02 Dec 2017 at 06:25 pm.
Old 02 Dec 2017, 07:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
It's possible that the process is different whether you have a vehicle under warranty or not. My Pt Cruiser was under warranty so they probably were trying to keep costs down.

Was yours under warranty when they gave you the report?
I had my PT at the dealership several years ago and it was no longer under the factory warranty, when they plugged in their ODB module and found a software update that needed to be incorporated to my vehicle. It was a no charge driveability software update. That was pretty good customer service in my book, when they told me about something that my vehicle needed and it was at no charge.

The one in the pic above my vehicle was no longer under warranty, but I knew there would be a charge because only the dealerships have the STARSCAN equipment capable of programming the TIPM.

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 02 Dec 2017 at 08:21 pm.
Old 02 Dec 2017, 08:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks, guys.
Steve, the dealer didn't mention any codes. The shop that refused the job, I did get them to give it a quick scan and there were none.