Splicing manual speed sensor on an auto harness

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2017, 12:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Splicing manual speed sensor on an auto harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJR View Post
I have also swapped an automatic 4 speed for a manual 5 (NV150) in my 04 PT turbo lite.(Non GT) I have been struggling to get the speedometer working. I came up with the same plan you have listed here after weeks of trial and error. The ECM is the original 04 turbo automatic, (Non GT). I have my wires hooked up as you describe here but still no reading. I have replaced my speed sensor, the nylon gear that attaches to it, and my cluster. Both clusters' tested ok for the speedometer. My last hope is the connector on the harness I made from the sensor pigtail pin 3 is faulty.

No disrespect to you at all but, how sure are you that pin 13 on connector 1 (Speed signal MTX) will take a reading if the ECM was programed for an automatic? I'm beginning to think its a dead pin.

Thanks for your help. I wish I had seen your post before figuring it all out on my own. dan@ju-online.com
Dan are you using a MTX cluster? This is pure speculation on my part, but since the cluster is also the BCM, which instructs the pcm which options the car has, if you are using an ATX cluster, it will tell the pcm to look for the auto speed sensor. Perhaps by installing an MTX cluster, it will enable pin 13, and your speedo would work. A non turbo mtx cluster should be a relatively cheap and easy find from the junkyard to test. That's what I would do.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 12:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

neat idea. ..and cheap
Old 28 Nov 2017, 02:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Okay well since I was bored today and I have the ability to program the PCM, I programmed and installed an 03 GT Automatic PCM into my 03 GT Manual car with obviously correct factory manual wiring and cluster.

The end result: Speedo doesn't work with an auto pcm and manual cluster. It appears pin 13 is "dead" in the auto pcm, or at least with the auto tune it is.

While this was on an 03, and not an 04 or 05, I would expect that the same result would be expected with one of them too.

It would be interesting to know if flashing the manual tune onto the auto pcm would work or not. I should be able to test that in the next couple of weeks.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Okay well since I was bored today and I have the ability to program the PCM, I programmed and installed an 03 GT Automatic PCM into my 03 GT Manual car with obviously correct factory manual wiring and cluster.

The end result: Speedo doesn't work with an auto pcm and manual cluster. It appears pin 13 is "dead" in the auto pcm, or at least with the auto tune it is.

While this was on an 03, and not an 04 or 05, I would expect that the same result would be expected with one of them too.

It would be interesting to know if flashing the manual tune onto the auto pcm would work or not. I should be able to test that in the next couple of weeks.
What software do you use to program the PCM? This is great that you are sharing this information.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 04:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Rob302, That is actually how I have it hooked up now. Still no luck yet. I really don't need the speedo to work, my real issue is that the PCM won't complete the OBD IM readiness for the O2 Catalyst and O2 sensor. I live in the Atlanta GA metro area and our cars get an emission test every year. I'm not sure if it wont attempt or complete the test because it thinks it's sitting still or because of the various auto trans CEL codes it's getting. Either way I've learned my lesson about drive train swaps in computer controlled cars... Start with the correct drivetrain then just upgrade and retune.
04 PT Cruiser Turbo | Ju-online.com
Thanks for your help.
rob302 likes this.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 08:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have an mtx pcm in my 5-speed swapped turbo lite. I think this is your best bet. To read correct speed I have a frequency multiplier in between the vehicle speed sensor and pcm. The cluster is from an atx car.
rob302 likes this.
2004 Touring Turbo Lite, Hahn 20g turbo, ATX ->T350 5-speed swap, mtx stage 1 pcm, DiabloSport InTune, rear sway bar, Wilwood big front brakes, rear disc brake conversion, Drop Zone springs, SRT4 dual exhaust
Old 01 Dec 2017, 11:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

Frequency multiplier?
Old 01 Dec 2017, 12:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
Frequency multiplier?
A turbo mtx PCM expects about a 12x faster square wave signal compared to the output of the T350 vehicle speed sensor because the getrag vss is different. Without a multiplier the speedo reads 1/12 actual.
2004 Touring Turbo Lite, Hahn 20g turbo, ATX ->T350 5-speed swap, mtx stage 1 pcm, DiabloSport InTune, rear sway bar, Wilwood big front brakes, rear disc brake conversion, Drop Zone springs, SRT4 dual exhaust
Old 01 Dec 2017, 12:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

is that something you purchased? or built? i'm intrigued. that's the most interesting thing i've read on here in ages.
Old 01 Dec 2017, 12:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
is that something you purchased? or built? i'm intrigued. that's the most interesting thing i've read on here in ages.
I built a prototype on a breadboard, but ultimately went with a Dakota digital multiplier when they revised it with the capability of variability up to 16x.