Like Tree10Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2017, 12:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby5041 View Post
if its summer and its 85 degrees f out and im driving 30 mph which is speed limit here...i guarantee a pt cruiser will overheat with no fan running

From personal experience, albeit with a 2.0ltr during a German summer with temps in the 80's - the PT will not OH without a low speed fan running unless you get in traffic. If you get in traffic you have a couple of minutes grace.

You really are just being perverse and trying to re-invent the wheel on this

Did you take the fan out and see if you could fix it? Because your problem is............. that your fan is broken. Until the fan is fixed, you're pissing in the wind with the rest of your fiddling around.
rob302 likes this.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 03:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
it has been proven by many people that when the low speed relay is removed the high speed fan by default runs all the time.

Is this actually so? Can anyone confirm this?
Old 11 Nov 2017, 08:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
rocket......i have many replies here and if you havent followed them you would get as confused as i am and fyi i am more stubborn then i am stupid lol.
...etc etc etc
I have been following this thread daily for the past two weeks. I haven't posted because I didn't want to get my feet caught in this. I should have followed my gut feelings.

Your problems seem to be multifold, there may be more than one problem.
You need to test one and only one thing at a time. If it's OK, you can eliminate it and go on to the next. Fixing one thing might not solve all the problems if you do have multiple failures.

Relays
Fan assembly with harness
Control Signals to the fan
Temperature sensing
Engine Control Unit
Coolant level

I'll back out now. Good luck.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 02:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

rocket you very well could be correct with multiple issues

all im saying to people that the high speed fan should power on regardless if low speed is functional or not....people are waying replace the fan.....the fan is not the issue i am having right now..im getting no powerl to the fan when it should be getting power to the fan...

also i tested hs and ls relays and they are both 100% good so relay is not the issue.

i tested the relays using multimeter and 12v directly applied to it and check resistance and all are per specs...

i came on here to get help and input...good help or bad help all is good in my opinion.....im just hoping to find the root cause of my fan not wanting to power on when it should.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 02:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

hi sinbad yes i confirmed via chrysler dealer that when the ls fan relay is removed by default the check engine light should come on and the high speed fan should power on

...the dealer also told me that if the low speed fan is inoperable the high speed fan should still function if correct parameters are met such as temp and vehcile speed...

i do appreciate the input but im looking for the cause of the issue not just going to be a part swapper until issue is fixed.....i like to find out why things dont work....
Old 11 Nov 2017, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
hi sinbad yes i confirmed via chrysler dealer that when the ls fan relay is removed by default the check engine light should come on and the high speed fan should power on

...the dealer also told me that if the low speed fan is inoperable the high speed fan should still function if correct parameters are met such as temp and vehcile speed...

i do appreciate the input but im looking for the cause of the issue not just going to be a part swapper until issue is fixed.....i like to find out why things dont work....
I would suggest removing both low speed relay and high speed relay and see if any engine trouble codes get triggered when you start the engine.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Steve there are no codes when using built in codes doing the ignition sequence

Another concern thats its a pcm issue is that when the low speed relay is removed.....the high speed fan should turn on immediately....and mine doesnt.
Did I miss something earlier or later but are you still using the "key dance" to retrieve any codes?

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 11 Nov 2017, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Did I miss something earlier or later but are you still using the "key dance" to retrieve any codes?
I believe he has purchased the OBDII Scan Tool online and waiting for it to be delivered.
rckstein likes this.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 06:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you are getting P0490 with both low and high speed relays removed please double check the fuse #12 in the fuse box under the dash. 10 amp fuse. You might have very little contact and pulling the fuse out an putting it back in might give you better contact.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 06:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

currently using key dance toget codes..until i get my scanner delivered soon

anyways..today i did some further testing

if i pull HS relay i get no check engine light and no code

if i pull LS relay i get check engine light and code p1490

if i remove both HS and LS relays i get check engine light and one code p1490
Closed Thread