2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

Like Tree10Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2017, 05:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

ouch...spoke too soon

ran car again (with my wire swap hook up) and this time radiator fan did not come on and gauge was past half way

prior to that it turned on at less than half way temp gauge

now im really consfused...this could be an intermittent sensor issue or pcm or wire issue

in addition to having a bad low speed

oh well
Old 28 Oct 2017, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby5041 View Post
ouch...spoke too soon

ran car again (with my wire swap hook up) and this time radiator fan did not come on and gauge was past half way

prior to that it turned on at less than half way temp gauge

now im really consfused...this could be an intermittent sensor issue or pcm or wire issue

in addition to having a bad low speed

oh well
You might have two different problems but eliminating the radiator fan low speed issue will help you with another issue if the new fan does not fix all of your problems.

The statement below is not specific for 2001 Pt Cruiser.

The radiator fan operation in general is often regulated by the powertrain control module (PCM) or a fan control module. Input from the engine coolant sensor, ambient air temperature, vehicle speed sensor and other sensors may be used by the PCM to determine when the fan needs to be energized.
Old 28 Oct 2017, 06:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

You may be correct steve

The low speed may have been inoperable for long time but that alone should not cause temp gauge to go past half way....since by that time the high speed should have kicked in assuming the fan operation chart is somewhat correct

When people keep saying the low speed not working causes engine to overheat .....i disagree since high speed should then kick on assuming fan operating chart is somewhat correct

Anyways....i may just hot wire the fan to fuse box and let it run all the time.....troubleshooting pcm...wires etc etc would be too costly

Unless someone else has any ideas why my swapping power feed wires worked 1 time only...
Old 28 Oct 2017, 06:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

My jeep cherokee never had this problem...fan was serpentine belt driven on as long as engine running the fan was on lol

Electronics are nice but way more high maintenance and troublesome and royal pain in the azz
Old 29 Oct 2017, 12:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

hi can anyone verify that this info that i founf online is true regarding if you remove low speed fan relay?..the following is a quote i found in a forum

"After chasing my tail and the web I found that removing the LOW SPEED FAN RELAY FUSE Located under the hood in the Power Center Fuse box is a simple way to Not only diagnose if the Fan is working but it Will make the AC work properly. HOWEVER, REMOVING THE LOW SPEED FAN RELAY FUSE WILL MAKE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COME ON AND STAY ON IF REMOVED. The upside is the HIGH SPEED OPERATION, if properly working will STAY ON ALL THE TIME. The method is before you start the car, pop the hood and locate the Central Power Fuse Box. Check the diagram for the LOW SPEED FAN RELAY(Larger 40amp black fuse) should be on left side nearest end toward BOOSTING POST. Remove the fuse and simply crank the car. The fan should spin with or without the AC on. The engine code will be P0480, Cooling Circuit 1. No spin bad fan. Spinning fan good AC. "
Old 29 Oct 2017, 12:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
hi can anyone verify that this info that i founf online is true regarding if you remove low speed fan relay?..the following is a quote i found in a forum

"After chasing my tail and the web I found that removing the LOW SPEED FAN RELAY FUSE Located under the hood in the Power Center Fuse box is a simple way to Not only diagnose if the Fan is working but it Will make the AC work properly. HOWEVER, REMOVING THE LOW SPEED FAN RELAY FUSE WILL MAKE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COME ON AND STAY ON IF REMOVED. The upside is the HIGH SPEED OPERATION, if properly working will STAY ON ALL THE TIME. The method is before you start the car, pop the hood and locate the Central Power Fuse Box. Check the diagram for the LOW SPEED FAN RELAY(Larger 40amp black fuse) should be on left side nearest end toward BOOSTING POST. Remove the fuse and simply crank the car. The fan should spin with or without the AC on. The engine code will be P0480, Cooling Circuit 1. No spin bad fan. Spinning fan good AC. "
I have suggested this for 1st generation Pt Cruisers but I have never seen this information in the factory shop manual and have not tried this myself.
I would have suggested it on this thread if you had verified that both speeds on the radiator fan were working properly. When the low speed relay is removed the high speed automatically turns on and verifies that the circuit is working properly from the radiator relay to the radiator fan and the high speed is working on the fan.
Old 29 Oct 2017, 04:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

when i remove low speed fan relay i do get 12v to the PDC at high speed fan relay....i just tested at PDC with relay removed....

however the high speed fan does not power on and i do not have power at the connector to fan.

the relay is good i tested it in horn spot and functions fine

any ideas wherre to look now?

i even hooked up 12v directly to PDC at pin 87 location and fan does not power on and i dont get power at fan connector

doesnt 12v from relay go directly to fan?
Old 29 Oct 2017, 04:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

i also tested ground wire at fan connector and traced it back to ground under hood and i get continuity so i know the ground wire to fan connector is good
Old 29 Oct 2017, 05:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
when i remove low speed fan relay i do get 12v to the PDC at high speed fan relay....i just tested at PDC with relay removed....

however the high speed fan does not power on and i do not have power at the connector to fan.

the relay is good i tested it in horn spot and functions fine

any ideas wherre to look now?

i even hooked up 12v directly to PDC at pin 87 location and fan does not power on and i dont get power at fan connector

doesnt 12v from relay go directly to fan?
The wiring diagram may not be specific to your Pt Cruiser but from what I see in the diagram it shows the wire going directly to the radiator fan.
2001 Radiator Fan Circuit.jpg

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 29 Oct 2017 at 05:08 pm.
Old 29 Oct 2017, 07:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Except for the PCM programming, the system is very simple
Wires, fuses, sockets, relays and radiator fan motor (brushes) and grounds
If you have active operating circuits when a fuse is removed, then there is a major short circuit somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
My Copyright 1998 Mitchell Repair Information Company, LLC
electrical schematic labeled for the 2002 model year agrees with this schematic

Both radiator speed relays get direct 12-volt battery power to the relay input through a circuit protected by PDC fuse #5 (40 amps)

There should be constant 12 volts at input pin #30 (or 87) at both relay sockets
If not, fuse or wiring is the problem

Only when coil is activated does this voltage exit the relay at pin #87 (or 30) going to the radiator connector

All of the control switching is the result of the PCM activating the coil side of the relays

The relay coil should be hot at pin #85 (or 86) only with ignition on
The circuit is protected by dash fuse-block #12 (10 amp) protects these coil circuits

The PCM grounds pin #86 (or 85) for the high speed or low speed relay coil as needed, only when PCM is satisfied with all of the required sensor inputs
Closed Thread