PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

 
Like Tree10Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 28 Oct 2017, 05:11 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 103
Default Re: 2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

ouch...spoke too soon

ran car again (with my wire swap hook up) and this time radiator fan did not come on and gauge was past half way

prior to that it turned on at less than half way temp gauge

now im really consfused...this could be an intermittent sensor issue or pcm or wire issue

in addition to having a bad low speed

oh well
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 28 Oct 2017, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 6,240
Default Re: 2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby5041 View Post
ouch...spoke too soon

ran car again (with my wire swap hook up) and this time radiator fan did not come on and gauge was past half way

prior to that it turned on at less than half way temp gauge

now im really consfused...this could be an intermittent sensor issue or pcm or wire issue

in addition to having a bad low speed

oh well
You might have two different problems but eliminating the radiator fan low speed issue will help you with another issue if the new fan does not fix all of your problems.

The statement below is not specific for 2001 Pt Cruiser.

The radiator fan operation in general is often regulated by the powertrain control module (PCM) or a fan control module. Input from the engine coolant sensor, ambient air temperature, vehicle speed sensor and other sensors may be used by the PCM to determine when the fan needs to be energized.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 28 Oct 2017, 06:29 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 103
Default Re: 2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

You may be correct steve

The low speed may have been inoperable for long time but that alone should not cause temp gauge to go past half way....since by that time the high speed should have kicked in assuming the fan operation chart is somewhat correct

When people keep saying the low speed not working causes engine to overheat .....i disagree since high speed should then kick on assuming fan operating chart is somewhat correct

Anyways....i may just hot wire the fan to fuse box and let it run all the time.....troubleshooting pcm...wires etc etc would be too costly

Unless someone else has any ideas why my swapping power feed wires worked 1 time only...
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 28 Oct 2017, 06:50 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 103
Default Re: 2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

My jeep cherokee never had this problem...fan was serpentine belt driven on as long as engine running the fan was on lol

Electronics are nice but way more high maintenance and troublesome and royal pain in the azz
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 29 Oct 2017, 12:01 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 103
Default Re: 2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

hi can anyone verify that this info that i founf online is true regarding if you remove low speed fan relay?..the following is a quote i found in a forum



"After chasing my tail and the web I found that removing the LOW SPEED FAN RELAY FUSE Located under the hood in the Power Center Fuse box is a simple way to Not only diagnose if the Fan is working but it Will make the AC work properly. HOWEVER, REMOVING THE LOW SPEED FAN RELAY FUSE WILL MAKE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COME ON AND STAY ON IF REMOVED. The upside is the HIGH SPEED OPERATION, if properly working will STAY ON ALL THE TIME. The method is before you start the car, pop the hood and locate the Central Power Fuse Box. Check the diagram for the LOW SPEED FAN RELAY(Larger 40amp black fuse) should be on left side nearest end toward BOOSTING POST. Remove the fuse and simply crank the car. The fan should spin with or without the AC on. The engine code will be P0480, Cooling Circuit 1. No spin bad fan. Spinning fan good AC. "
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 29 Oct 2017, 12:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 6,240
Default Re: 2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby5041 View Post
hi can anyone verify that this info that i founf online is true regarding if you remove low speed fan relay?..the following is a quote i found in a forum



"After chasing my tail and the web I found that removing the LOW SPEED FAN RELAY FUSE Located under the hood in the Power Center Fuse box is a simple way to Not only diagnose if the Fan is working but it Will make the AC work properly. HOWEVER, REMOVING THE LOW SPEED FAN RELAY FUSE WILL MAKE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COME ON AND STAY ON IF REMOVED. The upside is the HIGH SPEED OPERATION, if properly working will STAY ON ALL THE TIME. The method is before you start the car, pop the hood and locate the Central Power Fuse Box. Check the diagram for the LOW SPEED FAN RELAY(Larger 40amp black fuse) should be on left side nearest end toward BOOSTING POST. Remove the fuse and simply crank the car. The fan should spin with or without the AC on. The engine code will be P0480, Cooling Circuit 1. No spin bad fan. Spinning fan good AC. "
I have suggested this for 1st generation Pt Cruisers but I have never seen this information in the factory shop manual and have not tried this myself.
I would have suggested it on this thread if you had verified that both speeds on the radiator fan were working properly. When the low speed relay is removed the high speed automatically turns on and verifies that the circuit is working properly from the radiator relay to the radiator fan and the high speed is working on the fan.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 29 Oct 2017, 04:30 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 103
Default Re: 2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

when i remove low speed fan relay i do get 12v to the PDC at high speed fan relay....i just tested at PDC with relay removed....

however the high speed fan does not power on and i do not have power at the connector to fan.

the relay is good i tested it in horn spot and functions fine

any ideas wherre to look now?

i even hooked up 12v directly to PDC at pin 87 location and fan does not power on and i dont get power at fan connector

doesnt 12v from relay go directly to fan?
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 29 Oct 2017, 04:32 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 103
Default Re: 2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

i also tested ground wire at fan connector and traced it back to ground under hood and i get continuity so i know the ground wire to fan connector is good
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 29 Oct 2017, 05:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 6,240
Default Re: 2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby5041 View Post
when i remove low speed fan relay i do get 12v to the PDC at high speed fan relay....i just tested at PDC with relay removed....

however the high speed fan does not power on and i do not have power at the connector to fan.

the relay is good i tested it in horn spot and functions fine

any ideas wherre to look now?

i even hooked up 12v directly to PDC at pin 87 location and fan does not power on and i dont get power at fan connector

doesnt 12v from relay go directly to fan?
The wiring diagram may not be specific to your Pt Cruiser but from what I see in the diagram it shows the wire going directly to the radiator fan.
2001 Radiator Fan Circuit.jpg
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 29 Oct 2017 at 05:08 pm.
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 29 Oct 2017, 07:40 pm
sanatanadharma's Avatar
Dedicated Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: outside the states of delusion
Posts: 2,643
Default Re: 2001 ptcruiser radiator fan not coming on overheat at idle

Except for the PCM programming, the system is very simple
Wires, fuses, sockets, relays and radiator fan motor (brushes) and grounds
If you have active operating circuits when a fuse is removed, then there is a major short circuit somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
...
My Copyright 1998 Mitchell Repair Information Company, LLC
electrical schematic labeled for the 2002 model year agrees with this schematic

Both radiator speed relays get direct 12-volt battery power to the relay input through a circuit protected by PDC fuse #5 (40 amps)

There should be constant 12 volts at input pin #30 (or 87) at both relay sockets
If not, fuse or wiring is the problem

Only when coil is activated does this voltage exit the relay at pin #87 (or 30) going to the radiator connector

All of the control switching is the result of the PCM activating the coil side of the relays

The relay coil should be hot at pin #85 (or 86) only with ignition on
The circuit is protected by dash fuse-block #12 (10 amp) protects these coil circuits

The PCM grounds pin #86 (or 85) for the high speed or low speed relay coil as needed, only when PCM is satisfied with all of the required sensor inputs
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PT cruiser overheat at idle Fable55255 Tech & Performance Forum 10 28 Oct 2017 09:11 am
Rear seatbelts do not lock when tugged sharply (PTCruiser 2001) 98040ds General PT Cruiser Discussions 4 08 Aug 2016 12:23 am
2001 ptcruiser overheating problem with bubbling noise BrandyO General PT Cruiser Discussions 19 20 May 2014 11:42 am
05; air,idle and now overheat issues Treedweller General PT Cruiser Discussions 8 16 Jul 2011 04:50 pm
2001 Limited 198,740 Miles - WIERD Overheat... pasikobri General PT Cruiser Discussions 10 17 Mar 2011 09:12 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors