Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
spark plugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2001, 06:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default spark plugs

Does anyone here remember Split-fire spark plugs? I don't hear about them anymore, but I think they are still available. Did anyone ever use them? I seem to remember they claimed better gas milage...I never really heard one way or the other about them, so I was just curious. Anyone with experience with these, please provide your insight...are they worth the $$???

MNShaleCrusier
Old 17 Oct 2001, 07:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I used Splitfire plugs on my 69 , 460cu.in. Lincoln and to me it was a waste of money , didn't see any difference at all . The only plug I ever used that made an obvious difference was in a 47 Chev. 6 cylinder . they were called fire injectors . Mileage went from 18 to 27 mpg . They were "rim-fire" plugs , spark arked from center electrode to anywhere on the rim[no side electrode]. FYI , the only plug available for the PT right now , other then the stock plug by champion , is another plug by champion that is an extended tip , double platinum . Champions suggested price is $10.62 per plug . They have been available on E-Bay . If you want more info on the double platinum go to www.ptdoityourself.net , go to guides , then spark plug installation guide .

Edited by - OCCRUZER on 10/17/2001 18:47:05
Old 23 Oct 2001, 09:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Has anyone used the new Bosch plugs with the 4 electrodes off the end. I know they don't have them for the PT, but I was just curious if anyone has used them in the past.

Thanks,

PT-Happy (happy happy joy joy. PT PT joy joy)

Old 11 Dec 2001, 05:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Nutt

A dyno test was done on Splitfire sparkplugs on a 454 chevy in my previous auto class at the Air Force Academy. This was an engine dyno, not a chassis dyno. The test confirmed their gains in power, but ONLY at one tiny RPM range, near redline. My guess is the Bosch +4 is the same kind of deal. A better ignition booster is more bang for the buck than $8 sparkplugs. Don't get me wrong, platinum plugs are the way to go.

Old 11 Dec 2001, 05:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Nutt

A dyno test was done on Splitfire sparkplugs on a 454 chevy in my previous auto class at the Air Force Academy. This was an engine dyno, not a chassis dyno. The test confirmed their gains in power, but ONLY at one tiny RPM range, near redline. My guess is the Bosch +4 is the same kind of deal. A better ignition booster is more bang for the buck than $8 sparkplugs. Don't get me wrong, platinum plugs are the way to go.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 03:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

From what I hear, Splitfires are just Autolite plugs with their name on it and split electrodes. AC Rapid Fire and Bosch Platinum plugs worked the best for me. Champion is the only one at this time to make a double platinum for the PT.

2002 Almond Pearl Limited Edition 27K