PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine cuts out !!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2017, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Engine cuts out !!

Hi guys ! Yep im a newbie and always wanted a Pt Cruiser, wish I'd read up a bit more before taking the plunge though .
Anyway.....seems like the big one that everyone goes on about is the engine cut out !! And mine has started about 2 days after buying it ! I wonder if they knew haha......Had a bit of a fright as I drove over a roundabout and lost all power !!! And there is so much out there and im sure I will spend many happy hours, scouring the forums / you tube etc and hopefully chatting with like minded owners ! I still love Rod .......but need to sort the problem out sharpish ! So please feel free to impart any help you can , as I still believe most people are good at heart.........or am I just a dreamer ?
Many thanks for any comments ........Bob
Old 30 Oct 2017, 05:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Engine cuts out !!

Nah, the most common problem isn't engine cut out, it's overheating and electrical problems. You probably didn't want to hear that.

The PT Cruiser is not too different than any other discontinued older designed car. It's just that more things tend to wear out earlier than its contemporary designs. That being said, there were a lot made and fixing them isn't terribly complex, it's just that there is very little room in the engine compartment. Things like suspension parts are pretty easy to get to.

Fortunately for you this forum is loaded with very helpful people who can figure out almost any problem with the PT Cruiser provided you give them the correct information. If you get emotional and vague in the description of what is going on and don't want to deal with a detailed diagnostic or just want reliable transportation with little or no problems, then the PT Cruiser is not for you.

For instance, when you say "lost all power", that implies the engine completely cut out and stopped. If you mean the car had noticeably lower power and sort of "limped along", that's completely different. Many newer cars go into "limp mode" which bypasses the optimized engine computer settings so the car can get you home and not leave you stranded on the road while also not destroying the engine.

Just as an example, something as simple as a loose camshaft sensor plug can do this. You can tell that if the check engine light is on and you use and OBDII code reader.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

You should introduce yourself on the welcome thread and tell us some info on your Pt Cruiser.

What year is your Pt Cruiser?
When the engine cuts out does anything else shut down? Gauges? Lights?
Manual or automatic transmission?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 07:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. I'm trying to figure out if you're stateside or across the pond, just by your use of certain words.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 31 Oct 2017, 02:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Nah, the most common problem isn't engine cut out, it's overheating and electrical problems. You probably didn't want to hear that.

The PT Cruiser is not too different than any other discontinued older designed car. It's just that more things tend to wear out earlier than its contemporary designs. That being said, there were a lot made and fixing them isn't terribly complex, it's just that there is very little room in the engine compartment. Things like suspension parts are pretty easy to get to.

Fortunately for you this forum is loaded with very helpful people who can figure out almost any problem with the PT Cruiser provided you give them the correct information. If you get emotional and vague in the description of what is going on and don't want to deal with a detailed diagnostic or just want reliable transportation with little or no problems, then the PT Cruiser is not for you.

For instance, when you say "lost all power", that implies the engine completely cut out and stopped. If you mean the car had noticeably lower power and sort of "limped along", that's completely different. Many newer cars go into "limp mode" which bypasses the optimized engine computer settings so the car can get you home and not leave you stranded on the road while also not destroying the engine.

Just as an example, something as simple as a loose camshaft sensor plug can do this. You can tell that if the check engine light is on and you use and OBDII code reader.
Sorry ! Trying to work my way around how to send this message !!! If this reaches you then I know I can reply with more info....many thanks if it does !
Old 31 Oct 2017, 03:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yay !! At least something works ! Thanks for your reply.....yeah Im a Newbie alright, had lots of older vehicles and had to get a car quick and no time for research ! But always wanted one , but was too expensive when they first came out. Only bought the car on 10/10/ 2017 and a couple of days later, the dashboard kept flashing on and off but the car kept on driving and then it stopped for about a week. Then last night halfway across a roundabout all the dashboard was flashing again but this time lost all power and had to restart the car, which it did, but it put me on edge then !
Reg. Date 19/03/2007
ZN8U
R4
PT CRUISER TOURING CRD
DIESEL 2148cc
Hope this info helps, excuse my lack of understanding these forums , never been on one ! And wanted to say thanks to al who reply. Unsure if this goes to everyone or I have to reply individually ...which of course I have no problem with.....thanks again......Bob
Old 31 Oct 2017, 03:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Everyone can see your replies, hotrodbobby. Are you a police officer in England? Just a guess. Anyway, they never offered the CRD here in the U.S., so not many here are familiar with your drive train. Most unfortunate for us, because I think the diesel would be awesome to have in a PT. There are several European members with the CRD's so stand by. It may take a day or two to start getting some replies.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 31 Oct 2017, 03:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: Engine cuts out !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Welcome to the forum.

You should introduce yourself on the welcome thread and tell us some info on your Pt Cruiser.

What year is your Pt Cruiser?
When the engine cuts out does anything else shut down? Gauges? Lights?
Manual or automatic transmission?
Hi Steve.......just posted my info so unsure how many people get to see it ? Im ok on a pc but never been on forums and threads etc.....never get time haha. To be honest I panicked a bit and unsure if all the lights went off as I was more concerned in getting the car off the roundabout.
Its 2007
Manual.
Appreciate you getting back to me.......Im in the Uk so time difference will dictate our reply's I suppose. Been checking out as much as I can on youtube etc and my brain has gone into overload hahaa The Cam Sensor keeps coming up, so I will try and get the error codes from the car asap..thanks.....Bob
Old 31 Oct 2017, 04:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Everyone can see your replies, hotrodbobby. Are you a police officer in England? Just a guess. Anyway, they never offered the CRD here in the U.S., so not many here are familiar with your drive train. Most unfortunate for us, because I think the diesel would be awesome to have in a PT. There are several European members with the CRD's so stand by. It may take a day or two to start getting some replies.
Cheers Chuzz ! I know I must sound like an Idiot haha , but Im not...just annoyed with myself for not checking it out first ! Lesson one ......I still love the car though and will take all advice to sort it out.
Sorry, not Police Officer......to small haha
People call me Bobby...short for Bob ! Thanks my friend
Old 31 Oct 2017, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post

Thanks , slowly getting my self together on here ! Appreciate your info and advice and yes the engine light stayed on after it happened , it wasn't flashing , just staying on. Will go into the OBDII Code reader once I've read up on it a bit more ! Cheers......Bob

Tags
dashboard lights, engine light flashing