Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Cruiser Starting issue -- or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2017, 10:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Cruiser Starting issue -- or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkov View Post
PTcruiser steve, I have read a lot of your posts and have gained a lot of knowledge from them. However relative to this issue how does one perform a fuel pressure leak down test if there is NO FUEL PRESSURE?

I need a way to test and see if the PUMP is bad or if it is an electrical supply issue to the pump.

Has anyone any suggestions?
If you look at the FSM that you now have on 8W-30-14 you will see that there is a dark blue/orange wire that feeds 12 volts to the fuel pump at the TIPM when all the conditions are met.

On 8W-80-86 you will see that on cavity 11 of the Modular Total Integrated Power C7 connector is where the 12 volts feeds the fuel pump.
Old 07 Nov 2017, 12:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkov View Post
PTcruiser steve, I have read a lot of your posts and have gained a lot of knowledge from them. However relative to this issue how does one perform a fuel pressure leak down test if there is NO FUEL PRESSURE?

I need a way to test and see if the PUMP is bad or if it is an electrical supply issue to the pump.

Has anyone any suggestions?
I thought you said in a previous post that it will run all day long, just not start the next morning?

That would mean that you do have fuel pressure, just that it's not holding overnight.

The dealership that did the pressure test on my PT had a dual gauge test rig with shutoff valves so that they could isolate either the injectors or the fuel pump. It was hooked up at the fuel line connector on the firewall and the fuel rail:

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 07 Nov 2017, 07:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

PTCruisersteve, Thank you. I did look at the manuals but have not the experience to understand it without guidance. will check that out and see.

Rckstein, After I removed the pump and saw it was running I put it back together. There was PSi then and it ran for the weekend. Now there is No PSI again as in the first occurrence.
Old 07 Nov 2017, 11:01 am
Young Cruiser

fuel pumps sometimes intermit when going out, easiest way to test is to get it where it won't start again, get someone to help you, have them hold the key on start while you tap on the tank with a rubber hammer,if it starts, it is the pump,the brushes will be worn out in the pump motor, used this way to solve the same issues your having on customers cars many times
Old 07 Nov 2017, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had considered that approach but was concerned about rapping on a plastic tank.