PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Random find - tyre shredding final drive swap?

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Nov 2017, 02:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Talking Random find - tyre shredding final drive swap?

In a nutshell, the bloke runs a Mercedes Vito van with a Getrag box, and wants a higher final drive for long distances - the Vito being a delivery based wagon primarily - so... he swaps out the final drive from a PT too give it more legs.

Upshot: Looks like it could be done the other way around if someone fancies scaring the living scheiss out of boy racers at the lights

Stretching Vito's legs - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Vito's are / were called "Sprinters" in the US if anyone fancies having a mess around with the idea and needs to find one in a boneyard...
Old 04 Nov 2017, 07:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Random find - tyre shredding final drive swap?

Dude did a hell of a job! I wonder what his timeline was from start to finish?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 09:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe Sindbad may have just figured out a new mod never thought of before on this forum.

I just looked on Craigslist and Mercedes Sprinter Vans from the PT era are pretty common even here in Arkansas. Somewhere, there's got to be some of these babies in salvage yards waiting to give up their trannies for around $250 each.

If this was back in the days of PT mania, this might have caught on.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 10:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

I believe where he shows how the pt ring gear is smaller in the other trans and provides extra clearance around the gear, may be the opposite in our case. Meaning the ring gear will probably not fit unless you do a LOT of grinding in the case. You might end up thinning it to the point you will need to move the case bolts.

Sinbad you might sign up and contact that man and see if he still has the parts or if he thinks it could work the other way around. Perhaps even send him a link to this thread.

Last edited by rob302; 04 Nov 2017 at 10:29 am.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 10:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

Handy I have lettered a LOT of sprinters, both Dodge and Mercedes versions. I have NEVER seen one with a manual transmission. I don't think they have a manual trans version here. They may exist but IMO it's looking for a unicorn
Handy_Cruiser and Sinbad like this.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 10:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
Handy I have lettered a LOT of sprinters, both Dodge and Mercedes versions. I have NEVER seen one with a manual transmission. I don't think they have a manual trans version here. They may exist but IMO it's looking for a unicorn
Good point, Rob. I am not familiar with these so I don't know. I also don't know if having a slightly lower-geared overdrive would even be that beneficial for racing a 5 speed PT GT. While very cool and while I admire the folks here that do it (for real), a PT race car is kind of a unicorn in itself nowadays. But if this was back in the mid-2000's, somebody would have likely tried this if they had known and if the manual sprinter transmission is readily available to us on this side of the pond.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 10:43 am
Senior Cruiser

All the Sprinter vans I have seen are rear wheel drive and powered by a Mercedes inline 5 turbo diesel. I don't think what is posted in that link translates to the US market...

I think the Vito is similar to the current Metris van that Mercedes is selling here in the US.
Handy_Cruiser and Sinbad like this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com

Last edited by rcktpwrd; 04 Nov 2017 at 10:51 am. Reason: more info added
Old 04 Nov 2017, 10:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
I believe where he shows how the pt ring gear is smaller in the other trans and provides extra clearance around the gear, may be the opposite in our case. Meaning the ring gear will probably not fit unless you do a LOT of grinding in the case. You might end up thinning it to the point you will need to move the case bolts.

Sinbad you might sign up and contact that man and see if he still has the parts or if he thinks it could work the other way around. Perhaps even send him a link to this thread.
I won't be doing mine - the CRD is beautifully balanced as it is - note that he used a CRD box as the donor.

Feel free to sign up yourself - it will be better to be able to talk direct with him if you fancy giving it a go
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 11:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
All the Sprinter vans I have seen are rear wheel drive and powered by a Mercedes inline 5 turbo diesel. I don't think what is posted in that link translates to the US market...

I think the Vito is similar to the current Metris van that Mercedes is selling here in the US.
That could be so - it could also be that you might have to do what the Aussie did and import a box you buy on Flea Bay or elsewhere.

As an example: https://www.ebay.de/itm/MERCEDES-VIT...YAAOSwjuBZo7kk

If you copy and paste the phrase "Mercedes Vito 108 110 Getrag getriebe" into eBay you should get a good selection from Germany (perhaps stating the obvious, but the Vito 108 and 110 run the same engine to the PT CRD bar a few Merc only details)

Import costs? Dunno - back to finding a mate at Mannheim to bring you one back on a Vomit Comet
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 11:11 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Could be VW Transporters used the same gearboxes.....