PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
OBDII scanner recommendations for average person

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Nov 2017, 06:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: OBDII scanner recommendations for average person

Thanks ive done a lot of research on obd2 scanners...and it seems the better diy brands are innova actron foxwell topdon and autel

Have to be careful with autel though....lot of fakes out there....

Inended up buying the actron 9690... Got it for $90 new on ebay

It does obd2 and obd 1 ... Srs abs

And i bought 2 diff cheap wifi and usb obd2 scanners just to play around with using my laptop and android tablet....they were under $6 each....prob junk but if they are i will request a refund...

Autel has decent reviews but the product just seems cheap made....

Updates are critical too..not all allow updates....you have to make suremit can be updated ot its just junk...since it wont be able to be used on newer vehicles.

Once obd3 comes out that will change everything anyways so.....

One thing to remember on all obd2 scanners is that its hit and miss what vehicles each model and manuf cover......none do all vehicles.....if they say they do all then imwould not buy the item......theynare,lying
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 09 Nov 2017, 06:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Fyi....all the centech harbor freight models are made by autel.....from what i have read... And the models look the same...even the screen layout is the same
Old 09 Nov 2017, 06:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Imwas going to buynfrom harbormfreight but honestly their prices on the scanners arent that great of a,deal....you can buy autel online for cheaper than harbr freight.....harbor freight is not as low priced on certain things and obd2 scanners is one of the items theynare not cheap on.....
Old 09 Nov 2017, 07:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Re: OBDII scanner recommendations for average person

This is what YOUR thread represented in the question for a recommendation.

The average person would and should not need the ABS. This is considered above average DIY usually someone that is a mechanic or experienced in diagnostic and repairing of an ABS system. OBDIII most likely will not happen because of privacy invasion...concerns. That really is for a thread by itself as this is a interesting topic that has come up on other forums. On the PT Cruiser forum it would only be of other model none PT Cruiser forum area.
As for scanner claiming they can read everything but are lying.... all I can say is they must be really cheeezeeee scanners.
There are some CAN-bus systems that sometimes need a little different method to access all the information and the casual manuals with some scanners do not always instruct what you need to do. Contact the manufacture in that case and they can help you.
My Harbor freight scanner that I carry with me and the one I recommend in this thread has never failed to access any vehicle including recently 2, 2018 model vehicles .

Nice that you seem to have gotten what you researched will work best for you!

Last edited by NitroPT; 09 Nov 2017 at 07:13 pm.
Old 09 Nov 2017, 09:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby5041 View Post
Thanks ive done a lot of research on obd2 scanners...and it seems the better diy brands are innova actron foxwell topdon and autel

Have to be careful with autel though....lot of fakes out there....

Inended up buying the actron 9690... Got it for $90 new on ebay

It does obd2 and obd 1 ... Srs abs

And i bought 2 diff cheap wifi and usb obd2 scanners just to play around with using my laptop and android tablet....they were under $6 each....prob junk but if they are i will request a refund...

Autel has decent reviews but the product just seems cheap made....

Updates are critical too..not all allow updates....you have to make suremit can be updated ot its just junk...since it wont be able to be used on newer vehicles.

Once obd3 comes out that will change everything anyways so.....

One thing to remember on all obd2 scanners is that its hit and miss what vehicles each model and manuf cover......none do all vehicles.....if they say they do all then imwould not buy the item......theynare,lying
Great analysis. As with most things in life, doing your homework trumps experience every time.

But I'm not sure OBDIII will come about as quickly as once thought. In a nutshell, OBDIII is just OBDII data that is transmitted off-platform in a standardized way. So when your Check engine light comes on, your car dealer and possibly the authorities (such as police and state smog control) will know it automatically. It may or may not allow private shops to tap into this data feed, but it would most likely allow them to still read the OBDII data, though it would likely be done wirelessly. It's unclear whether the OBDII port would remain for handheld scanners.

Many new cars already have a proprietary form of this. Our 2017 Charger R/T does. And we periodically get a note in the mail from Chrysler telling us how our car is doing.

But the proprietary systems don't feed to the authorities and the customers can disable them if they want and if they know how. OBDIII would be government mandated and owners wouldn't be able to disable or opt out on new cars. Basically, your car would tell on you for letting it break and you would have so long to get it fixed before the authorities give you a ticket or worse. There would be little if any reason to have your own scanner because you would likely not be allowed to fix your own car without the right credentials and license. As anybody reading this can see, there's a huge number of privacy issues with this as well as issues of individual freedom.

Luckily, the ones in control of our federal government right now have no taste for this kind of thing. Thus, it will not become law for at least three more years. And we should all be thinking about that about then.

So in summary, the OBDII format is likely going to be around for a while. And even when it changes, who here is going to own nothing but brand new cars? Whether three years or thirty years, OBDII will continue to work on PT Cruisers.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Nov 2017 at 09:39 pm.
Old 09 Nov 2017, 10:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Great analysis. As with most things in life, doing your homework trumps experience every time.

But I'm not sure OBDIII will come about as quickly as once thought. In a nutshell, OBDIII is just OBDII data that is transmitted off-platform in a standardized way. So when your Check engine light comes on, your car dealer and possibly the authorities (such as police and state smog control) will know it automatically. It may or may not allow private shops to tap into this data feed, but it would most likely allow them to still read the OBDII data, though it would likely be done wirelessly. It's unclear whether the OBDII port would remain for handheld scanners.

Many new cars already have a proprietary form of this. Our 2017 Charger R/T does. And we periodically get a note in the mail from Chrysler telling us how our car is doing.

But the proprietary systems don't feed to the authorities and the customers can disable them if they want and if they know how. OBDIII would be government mandated and owners wouldn't be able to disable or opt out on new cars. Basically, your car would tell on you for letting it break and you would have so long to get it fixed before the authorities give you a ticket or worse. There would be little if any reason to have your own scanner because you would likely not be allowed to fix your own car without the right credentials and license. As anybody reading this can see, there's a huge number of privacy issues with this as well as issues of individual freedom.

Luckily, the ones in control of our federal government right now have no taste for this kind of thing. Thus, it will not become law for at least three more years. And we should all be thinking about that about then.

So in summary, the OBDII format is likely going to be around for a while. And even when it changes, who here is going to own nothing but brand new cars? Whether three years or thirty years, OBDII will continue to work on PT Cruisers.
In my opinion before the average person is going to let the government control what they are allowed to do with their new cars they will buy electric cars. Some countries are looking at only making electric vehicles in the future.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 07:32 am
Young Cruiser

Over the past few years I have purchased and used 3 good quality OBD II devices, starting with Auto Tap.

Another consideration is the use of the Dash Command or Torque apps for smart phones.
The apps are inexpensive as well as the wifi or bluetooth interfaces for connecting to the car.

Both apps will read codes and allow resetting.
I have used both successfully.
They do allow real time information on O2 sensors and more.

DashCommand - Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.

https://torque-bhp.com
Old 10 Nov 2017, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
In my opinion before the average person is going to let the government control what they are allowed to do with their new cars they will buy electric cars. Some countries are looking at only making electric vehicles in the future.
You may be right, Steve. But the average car buyer doesn't even think about stuff like this. And if OBDIII becomes law, the electric cars will have it too.

I don't believe there will ever come in a time where folks in the US will not work on their own cars and modify them no matter what laws are passed. But going forward, you are going to need to be less of a mechanic and more of a computer hacker to do it. Like always, the future is a "Brave New World".

Luckily, my $19 scanner and your $100 scanner will continue to work fine on PT Cruisers and other cars of this era.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
You may be right, Steve. But the average car buyer doesn't even think about stuff like this. And if OBDIII becomes law, the electric cars will have it too.

I don't believe there will ever come in a time where folks in the US will not work on their own cars and modify them no matter what laws are passed. But going forward, you are going to need to be less of a mechanic and more of a computer hacker to do it. Like always, the future is a "Brave New World".

Luckily, my $19 scanner and your $100 scanner will continue to work fine on PT Cruisers and other cars of this era.
At my job, we have a couple of 2016 Chevy Colorado delivery trucks that we must do weekly and daily inspections of before they are driven. The first time that I did the weekly, I opened the hood to check all the fluids. There is no transmission dipstick and no way to check the power steering (because it's electric).

The vehicle has 24,000 miles on it and several warning lights came on the dash display (service power steering and service stabilitrak system). There is no power steering fluid level to check because of the electric steering and per the Owner's Manual if that warning illuminates, you're supposed to take it to the dealership for servicing, same for the stabilitrak system.

The vehicle is still under warranty so we took it in. The dealership had it for a couple of days and they had to replace the main fuse block (equivalent to the TIPM in the Gen2 PT) because of communication errors. When we got the vehicle back, it still had the stabilitrak warning light. We took it back into the dealership and this time they had to replace a wiring harness that had a short in it.

The point of my post is somewhat related to what Todd said in that car manufacturers are making the vehicles less friendly for people to work on and you may have to use more shops for any work and will smaller shops stay up with the newer technology and equipment that will be needed to work on the newer cars?

As far as checking the transmission fluid in a vehicle that has no dipstick, in the video is what you must do. You remove a plug and if fluid comes out then it was too full, if no fluid comes out, then you add more fluid until it does come out of the check port, but first the vehicle must be under the correct conditions:

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 10 Nov 2017, 01:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
At my job, we have a couple of 2016 Chevy Colorado delivery trucks that we must do weekly and daily inspections of before they are driven. The first time that I did the weekly, I opened the hood to check all the fluids. There is no transmission dipstick and no way to check the power steering (because it's electric).

The vehicle has 24,000 miles on it and several warning lights came on the dash display (service power steering and service stabilitrak system). There is no power steering fluid level to check because of the electric steering and per the Owner's Manual if that warning illuminates, you're supposed to take it to the dealership for servicing, same for the stabilitrak system.

The vehicle is still under warranty so we took it in. The dealership had it for a couple of days and they had to replace the main fuse block (equivalent to the TIPM in the Gen2 PT) because of communication errors. When we got the vehicle back, it still had the stabilitrak warning light. We took it back into the dealership and this time they had to replace a wiring harness that had a short in it.

The point of my post is somewhat related to what Todd said in that car manufacturers are making the vehicles less friendly for people to work on and you may have to use more shops for any work and will smaller shops stay up with the newer technology and equipment that will be needed to work on the newer cars?

As far as checking the transmission fluid in a vehicle that has no dipstick, in the video is what you must do. You remove a plug and if fluid comes out then it was too full, if no fluid comes out, then you add more fluid until it does come out of the check port, but first the vehicle must be under the correct conditions:
This is why I feel that members will be looking at the electric vehicles for purchasing new vehicles to reduce the amount of problems that might come up. I also think you will find more members are going to be encouraged to keep their Pt Cruiser up and running then deal with getting notifications that they must fix their vehicles or else.