Advertisements
OBDII scanner recommendations for average person

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2017, 09:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Default OBDII scanner recommendations for average person

hi

can anyone recommend a low cast obdII scanner i can buy?

also they are all called obdII scanner readers but some coast $15 and others cost $200

what should i look for...

are the cheap ones just code readers?....what can a scan tool do that a code reader cant?..supply actual real time data?...what about bidirectional capable scanners?

any info would help..i would like to buy one that will do whats needed..and not something that is useless

i am not a mechanic..just an average person ....ive seen them at harbor freight for about $99 but on amazon ive seen them as cheap as $15...whats the difference..they are all called obdII scanner readers

thyanks
Old 06 Nov 2017, 10:07 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: OBDII scanner recommendations for average person

I picked one that also resets the codes to zero so I don't have to disconnect the battery. Maybe they all do that now? I have had the thing for several years and I think I got from Autozone. I don't remember the cost....
Old 06 Nov 2017, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Everybody has their opinions about what they have and use so here is mine. I carry the Harbor Freight scanner with me all the time.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...agnostics.html

Scan Tool
Item # 60694
Old 06 Nov 2017, 05:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks nitro but thatscanner u have is over $130

Its just a reader.....i can get code readers for $15 online

Why is the one unhave so expensive....its harbor freight it should be cheap like $15

What am i missing here?
Old 06 Nov 2017, 05:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hmm it is 99.00 and does more then just read engine codes?? not sure what you looked at?
I use it for everything except transmission codes and ABS in which for obvious reasons I bring out the big guns my Snap-on scanner.

Scan Tool
Item # 60694
(163)
Only: $99.99

Here's an advanced OBD II & CAN code reader that supports all 10 modes of the OBD II protocol. This handy code reader uses OBD II technology to quickly diagnose engine problems using your vehicle's onboard computer. Easy-to-understand troubleshooting code tips help you get to the cause of trouble codes faster, saving time and money.
Graphs data for 1996 and newer vehicles
I/M Readiness Key for quick drive cycle verification and state emissions readiness check
Retrieves generic codes (P0, P2, P3, U0), manufacturer codes (P1, P3, U1) and pending codes
Provides Code/Cause/Solution tips for easier troubleshooting
Displays live 02 sensor data
Retrieves vehicle information (VIN, CIN and CVN)
Views freeze frame data
Trilingual menu and DTC definitions - English, French, Spanish
No batteries required, powered by vehicle's battery. The software update with instructions is available for download under the Software Update tab above......
rsrocket1 likes this.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 07:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Shelby,
You can get this for much less if you are willing to wait for a 25% off coupon and the scanner is on sale (sometimes the stars line up). The 25% off coupon comes around just about any holiday and everything goes on sale at Harbor Freight every few weeks.

I got this in the $50's or the next model down. While I do have the UltraGauge for constant readout of additional parameters as well as reading and clearing diagnostic codes, a good dedicated scanner is always handy to have.

You can get by as cheaply as $20 for an ELM327 Bluetooth (Android) or WiFi (iOS/Android) and freeware, but it's hit and miss when it comes to displaying what you want. You can read and clear codes with most freeware, but additional information may or may not be visible.

I also take the Harbor Freight scanner along with me when I have to go rescue my wife or son when they are stuck somewhere with a check engine light on.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 07 Nov 2017, 11:11 am
Young Cruiser

the cheap ones are code reader only.. it's nice to have your own code reader, it gives you a starting point for Diagnoses .. but Autozone will read your codes for free, but they will not clear the codes.. the scanners will give you the sensor readings and just what they are doing.. but you need to know how to read them.. some of the test has Oscilloscope graphs .. some are just Resistance values.. a good snap on MODIS scanner was running $8500.00 in 2005, their probably higher now plus around $300 a year for the updates
Old 07 Nov 2017, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's the one I use. It's $19.96 on Amazon. It reads codes, tells you what they mean so you don't have to look them up. Clears codes (of course) And it also checks I/M readiness for those folks with state vehicle inspections.

This will do about 95% of what most folks will ever need a code reader to do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

myckee and oldthom like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 Nov 2017 at 02:47 pm.
Old 07 Nov 2017, 02:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I recommend the Professional OBDII Scan Tool #60694. I have the Professional OBDII Scan Tool #60693 which is almost exactly the same.

Graphs data for 1996 and newer vehicles
I/M Readiness Key for quick drive cycle verification and state emissions readiness check
Retrieves generic codes (P0, P2, P3, U0), manufacturer codes (P1, P3, U1) and pending codes
Provides Code/Cause/Solution tips for easier troubleshooting
Displays live 02 sensor data
Retrieves vehicle information (VIN, CIN and CVN)
Views freeze frame data
Trilingual menu and DTC definitions - English, French, Spanish
No batteries required, powered by vehicle's battery. The software update with instructions is available for download under the Software Update tab above.

Some members will recommend a cheap scan tool or reader only because they already know the codes and know the common causes of those codes. They are not thinking of a new member who is getting their first OBDII Scan Tool and these members will get discouraged with the cheap scan tool/reader and get an more realistic OBDII Scan tool that will help them. I was recommended the Professional OBDII Scan Tool #60693 from Harbor Freight and have not had to use any other more expensive OBDII Scan Tool to fix any issues that has come up on my Pt Cruisers. Don't let anyone convince you that the cheaper OBDII Scan Reader with less features will do the common problems that you might have with your Pt Cruisers. Do your homework. I have convinced Shelby5041 to go with an OBDII Scan Tool with the same recommended features or more.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 09 Nov 2017, 10:36 am
Senior Cruiser

In my opinion, if you are not going to buy a reader that can also do ABS (anti-lock brakes) + SRS (safety restraint system - airbags), which you will very likely need someday, but maybe not on your PT, then spending $99 for a reader is a waste of money.

You would be better served with spending the extra $20 bucks on the one that can do ABS/SRS. Only $119 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072XH9GLW/

If you are going to reach for your reader someday, only to find that it can't help you, it would feel better if it only cost you $20, one fifth of the $99 'professional' Autel clone from Harbor Freight (or 1/6th the cost of the amazon one I recommended). The one Handy listed above is likely all you will need.

EDIT: There is a slightly cheaper one on sale at Amazon right now for only $93 with free shipping and it is the Innova 3100J which also does ABS/SRS. Both this one and the Autel above have many many positive reviews as well.:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR7FZS1/

Last edited by myckee; 09 Nov 2017 at 11:12 am.