Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Chefjrod1

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2017, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 platinum ecu questions

New to the forum today, but I've been reading what I can to find the answers, but I just need to clear some things up.

I obviously have the lesser 180hp version of the pt turbo. What are the differences between the turbo lite, and the high output? I've read that the gt has forged internals and sleeves, and a different intake, but other than that, it's it just the tune?

I've spoken with Cindy at fwd performance, and I know what she can do for me. I'm not opposed in any way to just having a reflash, but I would like the freedom of the Diablo sport tuner, but according to their website, my ecu is unsupported. Is that correct? If so, am I correct in understanding that after a reflash from fwd performance, the ecu would basically become a supported ecu?

Sorry if anything doesn't make sense. I don't sleep a lot, and have a hectic life. Please help with any input you have.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 11:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 04 platinum ecu questions

The calibration in the PCM is what makes the power differences between the lite and GT. The engines for Turbo Charged engines are the same. Mostly lower CR and oil squirter on the pistons comparing the normally aspirated engines which do not need those parts and can run a slightly higher compression. The plastic intakes only saved CHrysler lots of money over the aluminum for manufacturing and claimed helped improve the air flow at idle and the idle tip off which could have improved MPG slightly nothing more.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 12:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your engine and the HO engine in the 2004 GT are mechanically identical. The only difference is the tuning of the PCM. The GT is tuned to run on premium fuel and your "turbo lite" is tuning to run on regular fuel.

You can add either a GT PCM or a Stage 1 PCM to your car and have the corresponding horsepower. And both of those should be compatible with a DS tuner. I recommend the Stage 1 PCM. Be sure to tell the good folks at FWD Performance if you have ABS or not.

Instead of these options, one more flexible option would be an HP Tuner. These tuners are wide open allowing full tuning like is done by a DS CMR tuning services. Plus, the HP tuner appears to be compatible with turbo lite PCM's. The down side is that the HP tuners don't come with any canned (preloaded) tunes. So you would have to purchase one from a tuning service for upload with the HP Tuner unless you can already tune yourself. But in the long run, you would then have complete control of the PCM based on your ability to tune. For me, I own a couple of DS tuners and have come to the conclusion that they are mostly end-user items designed to make the user dependent on a third-party CMR tuning service for anything beyond the canned tunes that they come with. They are great for the casual user. But for anything more in depth, you are basically stuck with a tuner on training wheels. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought an HP Tuner and I likely will in the near future. Since I haven't owned one yet myself, I am just throwing this out there to consider.
myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Nov 2017 at 12:34 pm.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 01:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info folks! I think I'll likely just get the stage 1 reflash from fwd performance, and build from my experience with that.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Closed Thread