Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By VsandFords
  • 1 Post By rob302
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2017, 04:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Default I may have cried a little....

So, our little car is broken. '02 Cruiser - 93,000 miles. Front left... Hub, axel, wheel bearing, ABS sensor, and caliper. Thoughts? I like the car, it fits our needs and is super cute. I don't want to be emotional, because frankly I can do some things, only, this seems to be a lot - I just really like the car. I have not replaced the drive chain, so that should be considered as well. Thoughts or options?
Old 08 Nov 2017, 04:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: I may have cried a little....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream1 View Post
So, our little car is broken. '02 Cruiser - 93,000 miles. Front left... Hub, axel, wheel bearing, ABS sensor, and caliper. Thoughts? I like the car, it fits our needs and is super cute. I don't want to be emotional, because frankly I can do some things, only, this seems to be a lot - I just really like the car. I have not replaced the drive chain, so that should be considered as well. Thoughts or options?
That is not a biggy. You can pick up the parts at your local U-pull-it. Normally the hub comes off of the strut, tie rod end and lower control arm pretty easy. Disconnect the brake line, unplug the sensor and pull the axle out of the trans.

If you want to go with new/remanufactured parts, you can get everything minus the hub at any auto parts store or online like RockAuto.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 08 Nov 2017, 05:05 pm
Young Cruiser

I do have a Lot with a car I have been picking from. Are the mechanics that straight forward? I have not asked them (the lot) for prices, but it don't have all the tools needed. I understand I would need a wheel bearing press and something else?
Old 08 Nov 2017, 05:24 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

you can bring a hub to most shops and have them press the bearing for you for ~$40
Old 08 Nov 2017, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
you can bring a hub to most shops and have them press the bearing for you for ~$40
If you are lucky you might know of a neighbor or a friend that might have a press to press the bearing for you.
Old 08 Nov 2017, 07:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Lord, my typing. Mechanically wise - is it a straight forward job? Beyond the press for the wheel bearing I was told there was another specialized tool. I really like my mechanic and am not looking to undercut him unless I can do it alone. That being said, if I were valuing parts - used original, verses new (hub, axel and caliper) what is the swing? ABS sensor I would expect to be new, but where would you be comfortable? (To be clear, I have a '64 Beetle, so I feel comfortable there knowing what's better original or what's better new. This is not my comfort zone.)
Old 08 Nov 2017, 07:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Just replaced axle in an other small vehicle the other day, axle at yard was between $25 and $40....
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 08 Nov 2017, 07:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream1 View Post
Lord, my typing. Mechanically wise - is it a straight forward job? Beyond the press for the wheel bearing I was told there was another specialized tool. I really like my mechanic and am not looking to undercut him unless I can do it alone. That being said, if I were valuing parts - used original, verses new (hub, axel and caliper) what is the swing? ABS sensor I would expect to be new, but where would you be comfortable? (To be clear, I have a '64 Beetle, so I feel comfortable there knowing what's better original or what's better new. This is not my comfort zone.)
You will want a new CV axle, new bearing and a rebuilt or new brake caliper. New wheel hubs are fairly cheap but a used one would work. Ironically, an ABS sensor from a salvage PT would likely be just fine.

If me, I would go online to Rock Auto, put in your car and then look up the parts you need. Put it all in a shopping cart and check the final price with shipping. Chances are it will be less than half of what the parts cost at the parts store.

The only special tools required are a shaft/hub separator, tie rod end separator, a shop press and the right size dies for the press to remove the hub and bearing. You may also need a CV shaft puller but usually, these just pop out of the differential with a little force from a pry bar and a light tap from a hammer. The "Loan-a-Tool" programs at both Autozone and Advance Auto have all this except for the shop press. You can even get the press dies in a loaner ball joint press kit. You just put up a deposit and then get it back would you return the stuff.

If you want it, you can download a copy of the service manual from my Google Drive at this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

Here's a pretty good video. It shows most of the work except for pressing in the new bearing. This guy had that done at a machine shop.

And here's a video showing the bearing press out/in part.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Nov 2017 at 07:47 pm.
Old 08 Nov 2017, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your PT is otherwise mechanically sound, a little in repairs now beats a $300/month car payment for the next 5 years

You might shedding many more tears
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 09 Nov 2017, 08:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Get the best estimate you can for the parts and labor you'll need, then add another $1200 or so for the timing belt, water pump, and seals you'll be needing in the next 10,000 miles. Oh, and add in the three passenger side engine mounts as well. Not trying to bring you down, but you're coming up on needing a major bunch of service, and you'll want to take that into account before throwing money at the current issues. All cars reach a "keep it or ditch it" point based on necessary maintenance costs vs. value. Value, though, isn't always just monetary- reliability and familiarity count, too.