Advertisements
Steering column swap 03 gt

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2017, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Steering column swap 03 gt

I bought a 03 gt that Iím thinking about fixing to sell but I donít have a key but I have a steering column out of a 02 pt cruiser.can I swap the column from the 02 and not have any problems? Thanks guys
Old 12 Nov 2017, 08:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Steering column swap 03 gt

I don't know, but if I had to guess, I would say yes. However, even if you swapped the SKIM over from the 03 column to the 'new' 02 column, you would still have an issue for not having the correct transponder key to satisfy the SKIM. Using the 02 key would let the car start a few times for a couple of seconds each time, and then eventually not let it start at all. You need the correct matching components , three of them, for it to work. They are PCM, SKIM, and key.

However, if you are the titled owner then you could simply take the title, if they even ask for it, and the VIN, to the dealer and they can cut the exact key you need. You would then have a key for the doors as well. It will probably cost you a hundred bucks or less, but it would save you from a few hours of labour swapping the column and all the door locks, and then having to pay someone to reprogram some new keys. This would be one of the rare instances where it would be a time and money saver to just go to the dealer.

Last edited by myckee; 12 Nov 2017 at 08:51 am.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 11:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for info.so if I replace the pcm and swap out the column with the key will it work or will I have to hav the pcm flashed for it to work?
Old 13 Nov 2017, 07:19 am
Senior Cruiser

The only way it would work would be if you swapped in the 02 column with the key and the 02's skim still in place, and then flashed the 02's vin into the 03 pcm. Then it would work since the pcm, and skim key have the same vin programmed, and the key is registered to the skim as well.

I am not sure if that would or would not generate an airbag light or not. I think you will be okay if you did that. I know leaving all things the same and only flashing an 05 vin to an 03 pcm, will generate an airbag light on the dash. I think you will be fine going 1 year back, but I don't know for sure as I haven't tried it. I have gone the other way by 1 year and flashed an 03 with an 04 vin and that didn't generate an airbag light.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 07:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok, thanks, ill try it and see if it works.i need to take it to the dealer to get it flashed, right?
Old 16 Nov 2017, 11:29 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes06ptcruiser View Post
ok, thanks, ill try it and see if it works.i need to take it to the dealer to get it flashed, right?
Well the dealer does have the ability to flash it, but I highly doubt they will. They usually say they don't have that ability. It is a different story if you know the tech or service guy personally. Then they will sometimes try. But most of the posts here on this forum indicate the vast majority of dealers will not vin-flash a used pcm. You need someone with an advanced scanner to do it. Most garage/shop level scanners can do it if the tech knows how. Sometimes it is not a straight forward procedure to use the scanner to get it done.

Last edited by myckee; 16 Nov 2017 at 11:32 am.