Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Rad Fan Not Operating...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Nov 2017, 11:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Rad Fan Not Operating...

Hello, been through a lot of rad fan posts on here but can't find my scenario...

Here's Part 01:
2006 PT 2.4L (non-turbo) was hit from behind & knocked into the car in front.
Front drivers side (on grille side of headlamp) pushed in (not horribly bad).
Caused the upper radiator to crack at the plastic post where the metal cross section locks it in place.
Was able to drive the car home (about 1.5 miles) w/minor leakage out of the crack, fan was operating normally at this time.
Was able to epoxy the crack & drive to work & back
(Approx 3.5 miles round trip) for 02 days (Rad Fan was operating normally) while I priced out a new radiator.
At end of 2nd day the engine started the chugging thing due to the fan not cycling on at either stage & hasn't operated since.

Here's Part 02:
Ordered new radiator & rad fan assembly.
Swapped both out & changed coolant (hoat) while at it.
Fan still will not cycle on at either stage no matter what (when running heater engine started chugging thing due to high speed fan not cycling on).
#15 50A Rad Fan Relay Battery Feed fuse is good.
Changed the two relays right below drivers side lower windshield (under the hood) just in case (thought I read on here those also had something to due w/rad fan).

The guy who hit us had no insurance (New Orleans, La; not uncommon here, 1/3 are uninsured) & found out our uninsured motorist coverage is actually in two parts & the part we have only covers pain/suffering, not vehicle repair (found this out the hard way)...

I think that's everything, anyone have any ideas..?
Old 13 Nov 2017, 12:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: New Rad Fan Not Operating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasev73 View Post
Hello, been through a lot of rad fan posts on here but can't find my scenario...

Here's Part 01:
2006 PT 2.4L (non-turbo) was hit from behind & knocked into the car in front.
Front drivers side (on grille side of headlamp) pushed in (not horribly bad).
Caused the upper radiator to crack at the plastic post where the metal cross section locks it in place.
Was able to drive the car home (about 1.5 miles) w/minor leakage out of the crack, fan was operating normally at this time.
Was able to epoxy the crack & drive to work & back
(Approx 3.5 miles round trip) for 02 days (Rad Fan was operating normally) while I priced out a new radiator.
At end of 2nd day the engine started the chugging thing due to the fan not cycling on at either stage & hasn't operated since.

Here's Part 02:
Ordered new radiator & rad fan assembly.
Swapped both out & changed coolant (hoat) while at it.
Fan still will not cycle on at either stage no matter what (when running heater engine started chugging thing due to high speed fan not cycling on).
#15 50A Rad Fan Relay Battery Feed fuse is good.
Changed the two relays right below drivers side lower windshield (under the hood) just in case (thought I read on here those also had something to due w/rad fan).

The guy who hit us had no insurance (New Orleans, La; not uncommon here, 1/3 are uninsured) & found out our uninsured motorist coverage is actually in two parts & the part we have only covers pain/suffering, not vehicle repair (found this out the hard way)...

I think that's everything, anyone have any ideas..?

No, those relays are for Starter & ASD. The radiator fan replays should be on the left (passenger side) of the radiator fan. Either mounted to the fan housing or zip tied nearby. You should have seen them when you removed the fan to replace the radiator.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 13 Nov 2017, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

K, guess I can put the old ones back in & return those then...the new fan assembly came w/two new fan relays, but it still won't cycle on at either speed
Old 13 Nov 2017, 05:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

is your engine light on? If so use an OBDII Scan Tool and post what codes have been triggered.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 07:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
K, guess I can put the old ones back in & return those then...the new fan assembly came w/two new fan relays, but it still won't cycle on at either speed
Before you return the relays, try swapping them out with the fan relays...these 4 are the same.
If the new relays still don't work, check the main plug...drivers side bottom right under fan...pull it apart & look inside for damaged pins.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 13 Nov 2017, 11:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
is your engine light on? If so use an OBDII Scan Tool and post what codes have been triggered.
Sometimes, but it's been off/on since the vehicle has been purchased used in 2010 (took to dealership back then one of the times it was on & they couldn't find anything wrong w/it) & the fan has always cycled on...

Tried the pull code key/ignition process & it registered no codes (was really hoping for something in the 400 range, I think that's rad fan stuff..?)...

Should I try to putt up to AutoZone to see if they can pull anything..?
Old 13 Nov 2017, 11:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Before you return the relays, try swapping them out with the fan relays...these 4 are the same.
If the new relays still don't work, check the main plug...drivers side bottom right under fan...pull it apart & look inside for damaged pins.
K, I'll do so & report back, Ty...
Old 14 Nov 2017, 12:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Sometimes, but it's been off/on since the vehicle has been purchased used in 2010 (took to dealership back then one of the times it was on & they couldn't find anything wrong w/it) & the fan has always cycled on...

Tried the pull code key/ignition process & it registered no codes (was really hoping for something in the 400 range, I think that's rad fan stuff..?)...

Should I try to putt up to AutoZone to see if they can pull anything..?
That would be a great idea!
Old 18 Nov 2017, 10:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
That would be a great idea!
I was concerned about driving the vehicle to AutoZone w/out cooling fan so I ordered a OBD II scanner & just used it, it's showing no codes New cooling fan still will not cycle on either speed...

I guess I could try & replace the coolant temp sensor, but wouldn't that have popped a code on the OBD II..?
Old 18 Nov 2017, 11:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest applying 12 volts at the radiator fan relays. Both speeds to make sure radiator fan plug is making good contacts.