PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Testing cooling fan

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Nov 2017, 12:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Testing cooling fan

I have 09 PT Cruiser touring thatís having over heating issues. The fan we believe isnít kicking on. Thereís two connectors under the car. Which should I use to test the fan?
Old 13 Nov 2017, 01:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Testing cooling fan

If you disconnect the 3 pin plug and have a 12 power supply capable of 20 amps, you can apply 12 V across pins 1 and 2 or 3 and 2 and in each case, the fan should run:

That will tell you if your fan motor is good or bad.
The 4 pin plug is the control signal from the engine control module that tells the relays to turn on and spin the fan at high or low speed.

By applying 12V to the B+ pin and ground to the Ground pin, you should be able to turn the fan on through the relays by grounding pin 2 or pin 4 (only one at a time). If you test that the fan motor is good (first test) then test it this way, you know the entire fan assembly is good including the relays.

That answers your specific question about testing the fan through the connectors.

You don't have to do this however.

First thing in the morning, open the radiator cap and make sure coolant is all the way to the top. Start the car, lift the hood, note the sound of the engine and feel near the fan and notice there is very little air moving around. Drive around the block, put the car in park and turn on the A/C. Lift the hood, listen to the engine compartment and feel for any air movement. It should sound and feel like a tornado in there.

If that happens, the high speed relay and fan are working.

The low speed fan is a little tougher to diagnose. It turns on when you are stopped (or driving slower than 44 mph) and the engine coolant temperature rises above 206F and stays on until the temperature drops below 199F. This is tough to see on the dial gauge:

199F is just a "tick" below the middle mark and 206F is "sort of in the center of the middle mark". These are readings on my car which isn't going to be the same as on your car. They are just an example of how compressed the readings are on the dial.

The best way to see the low speed fan come on is to drive around for about 10-15 minutes, stop the car (preferably at home), lift the hood and listen and feel the fan go on and off. If the fan does not turn on at all until the needle is above the middle mark and it comes on at high speed, there's a good chance your low speed brushes are worn out and you need a new fan. If it doesn't turn on at all and the temperature gets close to the 3/4 mark, the fan isn't turning on at all. Shut the engine off. You'll likely get coolant overflowing the reservoir and you'll want to top it off after the engine cools back down.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you! Going to give option one a try this evening.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 02:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Any suggestions as to where I can get an affordable fan for it?
Old 13 Nov 2017, 02:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

RockAuto.com is reasonable for radiator cooling fans. Just be careful and check to make sure it has a four pin plug before unwrapping it after they deliver it.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 03:50 pm
Banned

You may want to consider getting the complete fan assembly that includes new relays and wiring harness. Also check the condition of the 4 pin plug main wiring harness connector at the bottom of the fan on the drivers side.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was questioning the cooling temp sensor as well. Which I hope isn’t it because that’s a pain to get to. This is the fan I was looking at TYC 621240 Chrysler PT Cruiser Replacement Radiator/Condenser Cooling Fan Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VKRPZC..._H2GcAbF8VD31C

Last edited by Yooperbug; 13 Nov 2017 at 04:53 pm.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 06:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperbug View Post
I was questioning the cooling temp sensor as well. Which I hope isnít it because thatís a pain to get to. This is the fan I was looking at TYC 621240 Chrysler PT Cruiser Replacement Radiator/Condenser Cooling Fan Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VKRPZC..._H2GcAbF8VD31C
Yes, that is the same type of fan I bought from RockAuto for $70-$80 except the brand was Doorman which actually looked like the same one they sell at the local Autozone for $138-$144. They all have the relays bolted onto the fan shroud and all have 4 pin plugs that will fit on your 09.

If you are going to do the job yourself, it's really easy if you remove the grille, grille bracket and rubber hood gasket. Then remove the lower radiator hose to drain the fluid into a bucket (to save your new coolant) and remove the upper radiator hose. Don't try to remove the petcock on the radiator to drain the fluid unless you want to buy a new one after you mangle the original. Then simply unplug the 4 pin connector and remove the 6 bolts holding the fan to the radiator.

This is a pretty good video, but you can lean the radiator out a bit more to make it easier to get the fan past the upper radiator inlet pipe. Plus you should drain the coolant before removing the upper radiator hose.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE CERTAIN THE FAN IS BAD BEFORE REPLACING IT.

No need to replace something that is working because you won't fix the problem.

Old 13 Nov 2017, 07:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Yes, that is the same type of fan I bought from RockAuto for $70-$80 except the brand was Doorman which actually looked like the same one they sell at the local Autozone for $138-$144. They all have the relays bolted onto the fan shroud and all have 4 pin plugs that will fit on your 09.

If you are going to do the job yourself, it's really easy if you remove the grille, grille bracket and rubber hood gasket. Then remove the lower radiator hose to drain the fluid into a bucket (to save your new coolant) and remove the upper radiator hose. Don't try to remove the petcock on the radiator to drain the fluid unless you want to buy a new one after you mangle the original. Then simply unplug the 4 pin connector and remove the 6 bolts holding the fan to the radiator.

This is a pretty good video, but you can lean the radiator out a bit more to make it easier to get the fan past the upper radiator inlet pipe. Plus you should drain the coolant before removing the upper radiator hose.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE CERTAIN THE FAN IS BAD BEFORE REPLACING IT.

No need to replace something that is working because you won't fix the problem.

I remove the battery and battery support plate on my Pt Cruiser so I am making sure I don't damage the radiator taking the radiator fan out.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 02:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hopefully this weekend weíll test it. Iím hoping we get it fixed soon because itís getting old paying on a vehicle that we canít even use.