06 PT Cruiser Battery Light Coming On

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Nov 2017, 02:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 PT Cruiser Battery Light Coming On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaty1212 View Post
Tomorrow I’ll be working on the cruiser in hopes to find out what is wrong with it, I am going to follow the wires heading from the battery to each main connector and cleaning it in hopes it’s a dirty connection, I’ll also update you all on the questions tomorrow.
After downloading the TSB from Rick, it mentioned that a P063A code will be set. However, other sources say this code may or may not be set but the battery light will stay on. If you call a local Chrysler dealership service desk, they may be able to look at the vehicle's service history and see if the bulletin has been done or not and if it needs to be done. The PCM flash fixes a lot more than just this one issue. The dealership will likely need the last 8 characters of the VIN, current mileage and the first 4 letters of your (owners) last name.

Also, check under the battery and see if there is a white plastic battery temp sensor. Some have them, some don't. Sometimes these can act wonky and make the battery light come one.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Nov 2017 at 02:53 pm.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
After downloading the TSB from Rick, it mentioned that a P063A code will be set. However, other sources say this code may or may not be set but the battery light will stay on. If you call a local Chrysler dealership service desk, they may be able to look at the vehicle's service history and see if the bulletin has been done or not and if it needs to be done. The PCM flash fixes a lot more than just this one issue. The dealership will likely need the last 8 characters of the VIN, current mileage and the first 4 letters of your (owners) last name.

Also, check under the battery and see if there is a white plastic battery temp sensor. Some have them, some don't. Sometimes these can act wonky and make the battery light come one.
Be careful of flashing the PCM without the P063A code as it might not fix the problem. I would suggest checking any other possible causes first.

There are wires going to the alternator that are along side of the engine in the back about parallel with the right axle. There should be a bolt with a wiring restraint clamp about 8 inches from the transmission. It might be missing and the charging wires rubbing against the axle

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Nov 2017 at 04:13 pm. Reason: Deleted reference made by Handy_Cruiser
Old 15 Nov 2017, 04:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Be careful of flashing the PCM without the P063A code as it might not fix the problem. I would suggest checking the battery temp sensor first and any other possible causes first.
The Gen2 doesn't have a battery temp sensor.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
151k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 15 Nov 2017, 04:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Thank you Rckstein. I should have realize that some posts are not accurate.
LionPT likes this.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Be careful of flashing the PCM without the P063A code as it might not fix the problem. I would suggest checking the battery temp sensor first and any other possible causes first.
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you Rckstein. I should have realize that some posts are not accurate.
Don't feel too bad, Steve. I made the same mistake. It doesn't mean the rest of your posts were not accurate.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 05:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Don't feel too bad, Steve. I made the same mistake. It doesn't mean the rest of your posts were not accurate.
I am going to have to ignore your posts as you are dangerous with your inaccurate information you post. Are you sure you are a certified Mechanic?
NitroPT likes this.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 07:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Quote:
Thank you again Rckstein.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^ Yep. That's my post Steve. And while Rick had quoted your post and was responding to you, I made the same mistake in my post that you quoted. So you don't have to change the order in your posts. There's no reason to feel bad or be ashamed. We all make mistakes sometimes. Remember, you are among friends.

Quote:
I am going to have to ignore your posts as you are dangerous with your inaccurate information you post. Are you sure you are a certified Mechanic?
Thanks for asking, Steve.

I'm an ASE Master Automotive Technician, Certified Industrial Hygienist, Licensed Asbestos Inspector, Supervisor and Abatement Project Designer. I'm also a Certified Mold Remediator, Registered Environmental Manager, US Series 800 Professional Engineer, Level 1 Explosives Safety Engineer, Certified Local Area Network Security Administrator, former Licensed Water Well Driller (my favorite) and former 11A Army Infantry Reserve Officer\ automatic weapons trainer. There's more, but that should be enough for now.

When I retire from my full time day job and my part consulting company, I had originally planned to go back to school for a PhD in biology and teach at a Junior College. But recently I have been involved with some folks that teach at a local vocational school. And there I can teach safety, environmental science and a few auto mechanics classes with the stuff I have now. Lot's a decisions to make in the next few years. As big a fool as I am, I've really been blessed. And I own it all to other kind folks and the Big Man upstairs.

And you? Please tell me your qualifications. It's fun to lean more about our online buddies. I think Nitro studied to be some kind of Priest or Minister at some time. That's pretty cool.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Nov 2017 at 07:35 pm.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 08:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaty1212 View Post
Tomorrow Iíll be working on the cruiser in hopes to find out what is wrong with it, I am going to follow the wires heading from the battery to each main connector and cleaning it in hopes itís a dirty connection, Iíll also update you all on the questions tomorrow.
Post the update when you get a chance and good luck.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 09:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You both could be right:

Quote:

Quote:
We all may technically be right So everyone can be happy

In the '06 Parts Catalog there is this listed:

05293138AA SENSOR, Air Temperature, Battery temp

But it is listed for the EDJ engine which is the 2.2L turbo diesel, not something we are likely to see in the US.

But if you look up that part number, it looks just the like the air temp sensor on the front of the vehicle.

Then there is this in the Gen2 Service Manual:

Also from the Service Manual:

"The PCM also adjusts engine idle speed through the idle air control motor based on the following inputs.
* Air conditioning sense
* Battery voltage
* Battery temperature
* Brake switch
* Coolant temperature
* Engine speed (crankshaft position sensor)
* Engine run time
* Manifold absolute pressure
* Power steering pressure switch
* Throttle position
* Transmission gear selection (park/neutral switch)
* Vehicle distance (speed)"

Please note item #3 in the above list.

And my Gen2 has the hole in the battery tray, but there is no sensor in the hole.

And on a side note, there is this little item in the Service Manual about the PCM:

"Powertrain Control Module Connectors

The PCM is an engine and transmission controller module all in one, if the vehicle is equipped with an automatic
transmission. The PCM uses four wiring harness connectors to receive and send engine and transmission data. To
ease assembly, the mating wiring harness connector is color-coded. Each module connector cavity has its own
unique color identification stripe located on the outside of each connector cavity.

The PCM module utilizes four wiring harness connectors as described:
* Connector Cavity A is for Power & Ground (Black)
* Connector Cavity B is for Engine Side (Orange)
* Connector Cavity C is for Headlamp & Dash (White)
* Connector Cavity D is for Transmission (Green) If equipped

NOTE: Connector Cavities A, B, C, And D must be connected prior to battery connection and ignition key on to avoid setting erroneous controller fault codes. It is also recommended that cavity A connector is made prior to any other connectors."

Note the blue and red highlighted instructions.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
151k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93