PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 PT Cruiser Battery Light Coming On

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2017, 11:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 06 PT Cruiser Battery Light Coming On

Here is the sticker of the PT Cruiser, Yesterday I was quite busy to respond or do any testing.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 11:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay,

That verifies it's a 2006 Touring model with the B-code non-turbo engine.

Have you tried any of the things suggested?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg VIN1.jpg (79.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 16 Nov 2017, 01:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaty1212 View Post
Here is the sticker of the PT Cruiser, Yesterday I was quite busy to respond or do any testing.
Good to see you have verified that it is a 2nd generation Pt Cruiser.

Next I would suggest verifying what the battery voltage is at 2,000 rpm.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 02:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

So I think I found out what the problem was, My FiancÚ PT Cruiser battery terminals that came with the car was rotting out so I replaced them couple months ago. Apparently the new battery terminals I bought was returns and I found out why the last customer returned them. The bolt and nut that holds the wire onto the terminal is keep loosing up. Seems the bolt or nut threads are stripped or something. I tightened them today and drove the car for a solid 8 hours and no battery light came on. Knowing me, Tomorrow I’ll be purchasing another set of terminals and hoping that was actually the problem to why the light is keep coming on. I’ll update you all when I get a chance, with working irl and then coming home and very tired I tend to forget to come onto this forum to make a post. Anyways I’m signing off now, Will update you all when I can.

Last edited by Meaty1212; 24 Nov 2017 at 02:18 am.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I bought new terminals and put them on and had no power what so ever. The new set was from Auto zone which is where I bought the d set from, Same terminals and everything. I put the old terminals back on and got power again but every now and then the light comes on. I am about clueless as what to do now because I done about everything you all said to do.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
So I bought new terminals and put them on and had no power what so ever. The new set was from Auto zone which is where I bought the d set from, Same terminals and everything. I put the old terminals back on and got power again but every now and then the light comes on. I am about clueless as what to do now because I done about everything you all said to do.
Have you checked the battery voltage at 2000 rpm? Sometimes the generator will work fine at an idle but not work properly at a higher rpm. If so post what the voltage is.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 01:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
I don't know what terminals you bought, but if they're painted...you need to file/sand off the paint on the inside. If they are not painted, check to see if there is a red film on the inside, if so, remove it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 30 Nov 2017, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Try a set of steel ones like I have on my PT in this photo.

When you remove the old ones, take a wire brush, sandpaper or steel wool and scrub the copper ends on the cables until they are clean. If me, I'd also take them both loose on the other ends and do the same. Then reinstall the cables plus the new steel terminals with the anti-corrosion felt washers.

Old 11 Dec 2017, 06:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Have you checked the battery voltage at 2000 rpm? Sometimes the generator will work fine at an idle but not work properly at a higher rpm. If so post what the voltage is.
I tested the Alternator, It’s charging fine. It’s pumping out 14.2V when revved up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
I don't know what terminals you bought, but if they're painted...you need to file/sand off the paint on the inside. If they are not painted, check to see if there is a red film on the inside, if so, remove it.
Here is the terminals I am using, They are from Auto Zone, And seem like crap because they are painted and I already started to sand them down.
https://imgur.com/a/VKhSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Try a set of steel ones like I have on my PT in this photo.

When you remove the old ones, take a wire brush, sandpaper or steel wool and scrub the copper ends on the cables until they are clean. If me, I'd also take them both loose on the other ends and do the same. Then reinstall the cables plus the new steel terminals with the anti-corrosion felt washers.

I had a set of old ones that came on the car but they started to rust and eventually broke which is the reason I had to replace them. I managed to snag some Auto Zone ones but apparently they come coated in a red and black paint.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 07:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This is the complete MOPAR battery harness for your PT:

MOPAR 4795680AB

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-4795680...opar+4795680ab

When I bought one of these 2 years ago, they were $50. Just be glad you don't have a Gen1 as the harness for those are about $140.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
151k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93