PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 PT Cruiser Battery Light Coming On

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Nov 2017, 06:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 PT Cruiser Battery Light Coming On

Hello there, I have a 06 PT Cruiser and My battery light came on when I was driving around so I went to Auto Zone/Advanced Auto/And OíRieleys to get my alternator and battery tested and they all said the test came back good and the alternator and battery was good and it had to be the terminals, so I went into the store and bought a new set of terminals and put them on and still wasnít a fix. I figured that it had to been the battery and the test wasnít right so I replaced the battery anyways. I am still having the issue and I recently tested the alternator with my Digital meter and I was getting 14V charging to the battery when the car is on. I am at a lose of words what it can be. I looked online and found another thread stating it can be the PCM Computer model but I donít want to fool with that if I donít have too Considering the new computer is almost 200$. Any other suggestions?
Old 14 Nov 2017, 06:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 PT Cruiser Battery Light Coming On

I believe there is a service bulletin about this on 2006 PT's. The number is 18-007-07 if it has not been superseded. The fix involves an update of the PCM. It take about an hour of shop time at the dealership or at a private shop that has a subscription to Tech Authority. This may not be your issue. But it's something to check on.

Also, do you have any trouble codes?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Nov 2017 at 07:04 pm.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 07:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I received no trouble codes, I even had them hook the car up to the OB2 scanner and didnít get a single code for this.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

One of the questions that should be asked is what is the battery voltage at 2000 rpm? Sometimes the generator will operate fine at an idle but not at a higher rpm.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 08:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaty1212 View Post
I received no trouble codes, I even had them hook the car up to the OB2 scanner and didn’t get a single code for this.
I can't find a real copy of that TSB on on the internet but I have one somewhere. I'm not sure if the battery light always showed a trouble code with it or not. A shop should be able to look it up for you.

If me, I'd check the other things members mention here first if they are things I can try at home for free. But if I counldn't find anything wrong myself, I'd check with a shop on the TSB.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 08:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I can't find a real copy of that TSB on on the internet but I have one somewhere. I'm not sure if the battery light always showed a trouble code with it or not. A shop should be able to look it up for you.

If me, I'd check the other things members mention here first if they are things I can try at home for free. But if I counldn't find anything wrong myself, I'd check with a shop on the TSB.
Todd, you can get a copy of the TSB from this website. The website has been changed a little as it makes you sign up to get access to the TSB's, but it's still free:

BBB Industries - TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

Or you can get a copy of it from my DropBox link here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/34ejiouwn0...07-07.pdf?dl=0

I will delete this DropBox link in 48 hours.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 14 Nov 2017, 09:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I believe there is a service bulletin about this on 2006 PT's. The number is 18-007-07 if it has not been superseded. The fix involves an update of the PCM. It take about an hour of shop time at the dealership or at a private shop that has a subscription to Tech Authority. This may not be your issue. But it's something to check on.

Also, do you have any trouble codes?
In 2006 Chrysler changed the electrical system to include the TIPM. I would suggest before going through the trouble of finding a TSB to look at the driver's side door and see when the Pt Cruiser was manufactured. This will tell you if it is a 1st generation or 2nd generation Pt Cruiser. Post what date you have so we can let you know if the TSB Handy_Cruiser is claiming is valid for your Pt Cruiser. The manufacture date should have been the first question to ask.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 10:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Tomorrow Iíll be working on the cruiser in hopes to find out what is wrong with it, I am going to follow the wires heading from the battery to each main connector and cleaning it in hopes itís a dirty connection, Iíll also update you all on the questions tomorrow.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 10:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it is confirmed that your Pt Cruiser is an 2nd Generation Pt Cruiser then for the TSB 18-007-07 to be looked into you should be getting a diagnostic code P063A stored in the system. Do not assume this TSB will fix your problem. Always do your homework first and verify what members post first.

http://www.dixie-electric.com/tsb/TSB_852.pdf
Old 14 Nov 2017, 10:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it is confirmed you are getting P063A then the information below might be helpful.

P063A - Generator Voltage Sensor Circuit

Possible causes:

1. Faulty Alternator
2. Alternator harness is open or shorted
3, Alternator circuit poor electrical connection
4. Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

I would suggest checking the field wire going to the generator.