PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ABS, TRAC, and Brake Dash Light (No ABS or Trac on car)

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2017, 10:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default ABS, TRAC, and Brake Dash Light (No ABS or Trac on car)

Hi All,

I'm new, so be gentle. I just bought an 04' Cruiser, standard trans, non-turbo. IT DOES NOT HAVE TRACTION CONTROL OR ABS. With that said, the TRAC OFF, BRAKE, and ABS lights are continuously illuminated on my dash, when the key is in the run position. I have topped off the brake fluid, and checked for a stuck float, but it does not have one. Additional problem, radio only plays if I push the key inward on the ignition lock. I would be grateful for any help anyone might provide.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 10:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ABS, TRAC, and Brake Dash Light (No ABS or Trac on car)

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

If the two problems are related, which is likely, then the issue could be the ignition switch.

On your PT Cruiser, the actual ignition switch is on the left side of the steering column. There's a plastic rod that goes from the key cylinder on the right side. It's possible that either the switch is bad, the plastic rod is damaged or the ignition switch or it's plug is loose. Something could be wrong with the key cylinder as well but it's less likely.

If me, I'd remove the steering column covers and visually inspect it as I turn the key. If I cannot see the problem, I'd remove the switch, clean it and the plug well. I'd try turning the switch manually with a screwdriver while it's plugged in. I'd make sure the key is still in the cylinder to avoid SKIM issues. If the switch does not function correctly, then I'd know it's the switch. If all is okay turning the switch manually, I'd reinstall it. I'd assure the plastic rod is fully turn the switch as it should. If no joy, I'd assure no damage to the rod and cylinder and replace as needed.

This should address the ignition switch issue. If the dash light problem remains after the ignition switch is fixed, let us know and we will try and help diagnose it as a separate item.
oldthom likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Nov 2017 at 10:45 am.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 02:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest on the ABS, TRAC and Brake Dash Light issue to have it scanned with a scan tool that has the ABS module capabilities. Find out what the codes are, record the codes and reset the codes if there are any. The PCM might be programmed to see the ABS module and trigger codes if we don't know the history of the PCM being replaced or not.

If no codes and the ignition switch is working properly I would suggest checking to see if the instrument Cluster is working properly.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 05:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum
Re: ABS, TRAC, and Brake Dash Light (No ABS or Trac on car)
Because it has to do with your brakes and I might be the one you come up from behind and cant stop because of an unresolved brake probLem I recomend that you call Alta Sierra Family Automotive.

If you work or live in another area other than GV than PM me and I may be able to suggest other quality and experienced auto service shops.

Tags
abs, brake, dash lights, trac off