PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Parts to turn PT Cruiser into Sleeper

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2017, 02:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Parts to turn PT Cruiser into Sleeper

Okay I working on a PT cruiser project into making it a sleeper. What I need is recommended parts to use. Like I know to use forged pistons other things like that for turbo when I get that. I'm trying for 550 HP and will be ripping out that awful PCM unit and all the wiring because I have a 2006 model and everything is controlled by that. A Holley Dominator ECU will be taking its place. battery will be moving along with ripping the AC out this week. Let me know what other information I can supply.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Parts to turn PT Cruiser into Sleeper

^^ Really?
Well Welcome to the forum

The last PT that attempted this is now collecting spider webs and BS.

I strongly suggest contacting DCR about your project.
DCR - Street To Strip

Or for a even possible a more experienced source of a performance engine builder
The Old One - Energy Dynamics
The nearest that any members on this forum without changing out the 4 cylinder to + 4 cylinders may and I say may have gotten to 400whp????????????????????????? And I am not convinced it was not on the bottle?
Old 17 Nov 2017, 03:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would really like to have Carey aka CREWZIN confirm i.p. on this NEW member!

Fuguzie?
Old 17 Nov 2017, 03:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Beke View Post
Let me know what other information I can supply.
curious how old you are and what your budget is, simply because you either are lacking in years or abundant with $$

-politely
NitroPT likes this.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 04:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This.
Except I would keep the stock paint or paint it cream colored. Go to the junkyard and buy some dented fenders and paint them with primer then wait for a tiny black imported car with fully tinted windows and a fake wing on the trunk to pull up next to you and taunts you. Maybe this is just a California thing.

Of course this will take a little bit of time to work on.

rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 06:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Beke View Post
Okay I working on a PT cruiser project into making it a sleeper. What I need is recommended parts to use. Like I know to use forged pistons other things like that for turbo when I get that. I'm trying for 550 HP and will be ripping out that awful PCM unit and all the wiring because I have a 2006 model and everything is controlled by that. A Holley Dominator ECU will be taking its place. battery will be moving along with ripping the AC out this week. Let me know what other information I can supply.
Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

We get these posts now and then. Guys get a PT Cruiser cheap, like the cool looks and decide it would make a good hot rod. The problem is that it really won't without way more money and effort than some other types of cars.

You could likely reach your goals for around $20,000 to $30,000. One way would be to start out with a turbocharged PT with a manual transmission. Then lose the word "PT Cruiser" and think SRT4 Neon when it comes to the engine. That's where you will find the parts need since the turbo PT engine is basically the same on the SRT4. You can buy complete racing engines ready to go at Modern Performance. Just check out their webpage. Everything else including the engine controller with step from your choice of engine. They will have many of the suspension and brake parts you need to.

If you don't have that much to spend, consider a 250 to 300 hp PT Cruiser for street performance and non-competitive racing. Again, the PT is not the best platform for racing because it's heavy the cost begin to increase geometrically if you try for more horsepower than this. For the engine, again think SRT4 and research the SRT4 forum. That's where you will find the best information on porting the head, camshafts, exhaust, turbochargers, injectors, tuning and the rest.

Be careful on this forum when it come to performance. Most of the real performance guys have moved on to newer and better platforms. Thus performance threads here just end up as fights due to one or more armchair and pretend racers. Be careful of running NOS. And if you do, research it heavily on the SRT4 forum.

My personal suggestion is just to enjoy the car for what it is. If it's a GT or turbo lite PT, you can get a Stage 1 PCM from FWD Performance which will make the car very fun to drive. If it's a GT and/or already has a Stage 1 PCM, you can likely use a DiabloSport tuner as well. Custom PCM's are also available. And there are other smaller mods that will make the PT perform nicely on the street. Today, the magic of these cars is that they are very cheap to buy and relatively inexpensive and easy to mod as long as you are no wanting to win races.
podo2000 likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Nov 2017 at 07:49 pm.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 07:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm am 18, I don't have too much experience with working on cars but got to start somewhere if I break something than I learn from my mistake. My budget right now is around 10 grand I not planning on make 550 right now but prepping it to make that. Mostly just getting ride of junk I don't need and coming up with a plan. Will be going to that drag strip soon to get a baseline and will post those numbers. Thanks for asking and this will be my life long project but for now I just want it to be fun.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by Kyle_Beke; 17 Nov 2017 at 08:08 pm. Reason: Miss spelled word
Old 17 Nov 2017, 11:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
curious how old you are and what your budget is, simply because you either are lacking in years or abundant with $$

-politely
I'm 18 with a $10,000 budget as of right now but will be adding to the car for years. When I first got the car from my mom I wanted to get rid of it but me living it a small town I became the kid that is driving a rally pt cruiser even though its not. Couple videos of me doing burnouts at school made it around and the second person at school to do so. Than I earned respect for printing out the 2700 page manual at school and beating a 6 cylinder mustang. BTW the inside is semi gutted. I have people come up to me all that time if I'm the kid that drives the pt cruiser. I mean it's not like you can't hear me a mile away with no muffler. This was just a little background to why I like the sleeper idea because if you lose to a pt cruiser that's something to be ashamed of LOL.
myckee and Sinbad like this.

Last edited by Kyle_Beke; 17 Nov 2017 at 11:44 pm. Reason: Fix format
Old 17 Nov 2017, 11:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
^^ Really?
Well Welcome to the forum

The last PT that attempted this is now collecting spider webs and BS.

I strongly suggest contacting DCR about your project.
DCR - Street To Strip

Or for a even possible a more experienced source of a performance engine builder
The Old One - Energy Dynamics
The nearest that any members on this forum without changing out the 4 cylinder to + 4 cylinders may and I say may have gotten to 400whp????????????????????????? And I am not convinced it was not on the bottle?
DCR was a good suggestion because I was just using Mopar performance for buying part thanks for that. Will be buying some part from them now.

Last edited by Kyle_Beke; 18 Nov 2017 at 12:04 am. Reason: Fix spelling
Old 17 Nov 2017, 11:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Be careful on this forum when it come to performance. Most of the real performance guys have moved on to newer and better platforms. Thus performance threads here just end up as fights due to one or more armchair and pretend racers. Be careful of running NOS. And if you do, research it heavily on the SRT4 forum.
I still dont understand how you really think you know everything about members on this forum??

I wont even go to how insulting you are considering you are not a PERFORMANCE guy by any means on this or any other vehicle forum!

Oh...and people by all historical accounts for decades that warn about Nitrous oxide use are always the ones that have NEVER TRIED OR USED IT!

But the rest of your response seems to be ok! ? ? ? ?
phalcon352 likes this.

Tags
sleeper