PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
zmax

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2017, 10:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default zmax

Has anyone used zmax and have any real world results? I have a buddy that swears it works but im not sure . So if anyone has used it and can offer honest opinions i would appreciate it. Im naturally a skeptic, there are a lot of snake oil type products floating around but my buddy swears he gets 3 to 4 more mpgs since using it. Hope i posted this in the right area.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 11:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: zmax

i would like to know what MPG you're getting now. 21 was my average. the high side average or people that don't floor it every chance they get seems more around 24-27. personally i'd skip it. i've never been big on dumping miracle products in and expecting anything in return.

this is the newest one i've seen: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ge-less-wear-a the idea is that it contains ceramic particles that are sticky on one side and super slick on the other. during normal use wear is reversed and friction is reduced. IIRC it's not available yet though and is still in testing. i might actually try this on IF i see published results from any DOE labs. it mentions argonne national laboratory, which i go to every change i get. i've seen the Tribology lab, but it just means someone was there using their knowledge and equipment, and there is nothing published by DOE saying if it actually works. i'd skip the ZMAX and wait for the future to arrive.

Last edited by rob302; 19 Nov 2017 at 11:54 am.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 12:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...hem-subsidiary Just buy a better oil and fuel additives.

Last edited by Gold2006; 19 Nov 2017 at 12:51 pm.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 12:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
i would like to know what MPG you're getting now. 21 was my average. the high side average or people that don't floor it every chance they get seems more around 24-27. personally i'd skip it. i've never been big on dumping miracle products in and expecting anything in return.

this is the newest one i've seen: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ge-less-wear-a the idea is that it contains ceramic particles that are sticky on one side and super slick on the other. during normal use wear is reversed and friction is reduced. IIRC it's not available yet though and is still in testing. i might actually try this on IF i see published results from any DOE labs. it mentions argonne national laboratory, which i go to every change i get. i've seen the Tribology lab, but it just means someone was there using their knowledge and equipment, and there is nothing published by DOE saying if it actually works. i'd skip the ZMAX and wait for the future to arrive.
I average around 25, which isnt completely awful, but i dont have a heavy foot either. I set cruise a 65 on freeway. And mostly stick to posted speed limits. Too much idiot driving when younger has contributed for the need to go a more leisurely speed lol
Old 19 Nov 2017, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeele View Post
Lol theres at least one in every crowd
Yes there is....lol
Quote:
I average around 25, which isnt completely awful, but i dont have a heavy foot either. I set cruise a 65 on freeway. And mostly stick to posted speed limits. Too much idiot driving when younger has contributed for the need to go a more leisurely speed lol
Honestly you would get improved MPG for free by simply doing common sence driving and also optimal tire pressure.

There are many chemicals that may extend and protect the life of an engine but very few will give MPG really worth mentioning.

The cruiser control on the PT is ok for adjusted cruising but for best MPG it is not going to gain the best because the throttle body is still cable actuated not a drive-by-wire and the adjustability to maintain speeds may actually reduce the best MPG comparing to manual throttle positioning. 65+ mph MPG is one of the poorest speeds with a PT Cruiser for optimal MPG you may find that 55-60 achieves the best overall MPG? Some monitoring gauges that can measure some aspect of operation can clearly show best top speed for best MPG.

See Ultra Gauge.
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center
Old 19 Nov 2017, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That gauge system looks like an awesome tool. Im going to invest in one of those. Thanks for that.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 01:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
That gauge system looks like an awesome tool. Im going to invest in one of those. Thanks for that.
You "WILL" increase your average MPG once you learn to use it to your best advantage.

There are several members that have the Ultra gauge and use it on ta regular basis.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 04:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The Ultragauge is invaluable in showing how much you can increase the fuel mileage on the PT Cruiser. If displayed the engine load, instantaneous MPG, and short range trip MPG you would clearly see the best speed and gas pedal pressure needed to get into the high 20's for mpg in city driving.

You'd be amazed at how little extra gas pedal pressure is needed to send the engine load way over 50% and your fuel mileage plummet into the teens or single digits. Without looking at any of these gauges and doing what appears to be normal city driving I would get 17-18 mpg. With careful driving learned from watching the readings, I would get 22-23 mpg in the city and 25 highway on a long trip but that's because we have to drive 65-75 in CA or else someone will using the chrome horn on your rear bumper. The optimum speed on my PT is right at the bottom of high gear which is 40-45 mph. If I could go on a long trip at that speed I might be able to top 30 mpg for the entire tank.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 04:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Originally posted by Gold2006 https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...hem-subsidiary

Zmax was sued by the FTC for consumer fraud and false advertising in 2001?
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Nov 2017 at 05:54 pm.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 11:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Guys, good job on this thread. Y'all, played so nice. I'm giving everyone Thursday off. Go eat some turkey or whatever you like.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com