Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By niggle
  • 2 Post By niggle
  • 3 Post By niggle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Nov 2017, 02:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Default ABS & TRAC lights on

So as I mentioned in my newbie post these lights are on permanently on my '02 Street Cruiser. This is a fail for the UK MoT annual safety test, and the car is overdue for an MoT so cannot be used on the public road until cured. I got an auto-electrican to check for the ABS codes, but neither of his readers could get the codes. I had previously tested the resistance of the wheel sensors as advised on another forum, and as they were all very close to each other at just over 5kOhms I though they must all be good. However I then stumbled on this Youtube clip which says that resistance testing is not helpful, you have to measure voltage output from the sensors as the wheel turns. I tried this and one sensor is not cycling like the others do between about 0.9 and 1.8V. I have ordered a replacement so will let you know how this goes once installed.

Last edited by niggle; 22 Nov 2017 at 03:08 pm.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ABS & TRAC lights on

Good going. You may have solved this one.

Most of the lower-end OBDII readers don't read ABS codes. Often you have to get a little bit more expensive one to get that feature. I'm surprised your auto electrician didn't have one that could do it. But hey, there's nothing you can't learn to do yourself watching YouTube.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 03:06 pm
Young Cruiser

The guy is mostly retired, he was recommended to me by my local trusted garage, and when I met him I recognised him as the father of a lad my youngest went to primary school with about 12-13 years ago. He had two Autel readers, one was an ML5?? and the other was an ML619, which I was told by Autel won't read the pre face lift Chrysler ABS codes, but I didn't say anything as he was trying to do me a favour at no cost. Autel said their ML629 will do the job, but for the moment I am not going to order one as they are 83, will see how the 25 wheel sensor does first. One thing I noted was that the sensor that failed (the front right) is the only aftermarket one on the car, so if the new one fails in a short time I think I will try a genuine one next.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 12:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Update: new sensor arrived yesterday but it was raining hard until this afternoon (I do have a garage but it is stuffed full with bicycles and lawnmowers...). Sensor fitted a couple of hours ago and on a test drive straight after the ABS and TRAC lights went out, and stayed out, after about 3 seconds of forward motion Total cost to put the ABS light out was 27, a tad over $30

Anyway, just wondered if it would be a good idea if that Youtube clip I posted could be added as a sticky, the voltage method is really quite easy to do, saves paying for code reading if you only have a bad sensor and worked for me when the resistance test told me nothing, actually mislead me.

Last edited by niggle; 24 Nov 2017 at 01:28 pm.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 04:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Good info..
the dash on both pts are
lite up like a Christmas tree.....