PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Silver star bulbs,waranty prob, my headlight prob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2004, 05:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CruiserDan
Default Silver star bulbs,waranty prob, my headlight prob

This is regarding my headlights, keyless entry , fog lights and driving lights problem. I have just gotten my car back from the dealer with a 220 dollar bill because the wire connector int he wiring harness burned. The wire connecting the headlights burned out so they didnt work. The service tech on the phone yesterday said it was due to the "high intensity" bulbs i put in the fog lights and headlights. They are listed as an oem acceptable replacement on their website and at pepboys where i purchased the two pair of bulbs. The only problem is that my bulbs that were oem from the factory have the same voltage and wattage and the same writing on them on the bulb base as the silver star excluding that the silver star says they are silver star on them. So if they are the same spec as oem it shouldn't interfere with waranty and i shouldnt have to had pay for the service. I want to know if anyone has had any problems with the bulbs and if anyone knows how i may get in contact with chrysler on the issue because it's the same manufacturer for both sets of bulbs and they have the same specs. suggesting that the wiring was at fault not the bulb and too much current being drawn through the wire.

Dan
Old 10 Jul 2004, 05:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'd bring him the OEM bulbs and show them next to the SilverStars. You might also want to mention that Mopar lists these same bulbs in their catalog, which you can download from Mopar's website. Some dealers will try anything to get out of warranty work.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 07:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

i checked site got to catalog page they are only listed for headlights but i don't understand why it would make a difference for the fog lights. as they have the same specs for volts and watts.

THANKYOU SO MUCH.

any more advice would be appreciated.

Dan

<font color=\"blue\">Patriot Blue</font id=\"blue\"> 02 5-Spd
Old 10 Jul 2004, 11:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I remember posts on PTE by a member whose sockets started to melt - but he had gone to higher wattage. If the bulbs are the same wattage, I don't see a problem. [:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Jul 2004, 12:27 am
Cool Cruiser

I have had the Silverstar bulbs installed in ALL locations on my car for over a year now & not a single problem. I check my wires yesterday as a matter of fact & they looked & felt good as new.[:I]

I still think they are the best bulb replacements out there & worth every cent I paid for them. My night vision driving is much, much clearer using those bulbs over the stock Sylivania bulbs.[8D]
Old 13 Jul 2004, 01:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have silverstars in my PT. They have worked fine so far. They are also less wattage then most aftermarked parts I've seen out there.
Mine said they were 3 more watts then stock. Something like 54 instead of 51. They are also made by Slyania which also makes the cruiser stock lights.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 01:16 am
Cool Cruiser

my dealer gave me a big deal of S@#$ and they didnt want to even look at the car but with some pushing and asking directly for a chrysler number and trying to talk to dealership owner they agreed to contact chrysler to check out the "waranty claim" as they put it and would check if it was the bulbs which are on the mopar site. I have decided im not going down without a fight i paid too much for an exteded waranty to have this pulled. They said anything aftermarket voids a waranty , even my neons connected directly to the battery and my intake. But i said they arent affecting the headlight wiring and wouldnt cause the problem i had and that it was the wiring that was bad. I'm just nuts because all they did was solder a wire and im out 220 dollars because they dont want to admit it is under waranty. I dont know what to do, i removed all neons and wiring, and will have factory airbox in for the chrysler mechanic to see. I just don't want to get screwed on something so stupid because their head mechanic said it was the bulbs not knowing they had a mopar part number.

Dan

<font color=\"blue\">Patriot Blue</font id=\"blue\"> 02 5-Spd