Advertisements
bleed screw on radiator help please

Like Tree13Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2017, 01:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default bleed screw on radiator help please

Hi can anyone tell me if the bleed screw should unscrew all the way it only seems to turn a quarter been trying to bleed the system because have no heat from heaters when i turn screw nothing comes out not sure if it should undo more its on 2004 2.2 crd diesel
Old 26 Nov 2017, 02:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: bleed screw on radiator help please

Have you tried burping the radiator?

Usually you should not have to bleed the air out of the coolant system if everything is working properly. The coolant system automatically bleeds out the coolant system over time so unless you just recently changed the coolant or had air get into the coolant system you should be okay.

Did the heat fade over time or just suddenly quit giving heat?
NitroPT likes this.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 07:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Steve have been loosing heat over time several months a couple of months ago I drained the system down to change core plug too hard to get to so I just refilled it and got garage to do it since then have had no heat I have replaced thermostat and radiator cap still no heat engine runs fine dose not over heat have tried all normal ways of burping system have checked bend door all okay when i go on a run the heater pipe just gets slightly warm any ideas !!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 08:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey Chrissy.

The bleed screw will screw out all the way. But if functioning as it should, it will open after only being loosened. You should be able to loosen it and then fill the system until a steady stream of coolant comes out of it. You can put a piece of rubber hose over the end of the bleed screw to direct the flow and capture any released coolant if you want to.

If nothing comes out the bleed screw, you can just screw it out all the way and then fill until fluid comes out and then reinsert and tighten the screw while the coolant flows out. Of course, this is messy and you will lose some fluid in the process. The better plan is to replace the bleed screw. Many parts stores the US will have a universal replacement in the Dorman "Help" section. The same may be true where you live.

As far as checking for heat, I assume that at this point you have checked the blend door as we discussed in your other thread. And I know from your other thread that the temperature on the gauge runs right in the middle where it should, right? If so, and if assuring the system is full of coolant does not help, the next step is likely going to be to back-flush the heater core. As we discussed before, the 2004 PT's came with original HOAT antifreeze which was incompible with much of the older standard green antifreeze. If green antifreeze was added to the HOAT at some point in the past it may have created sludge in the cooling system. And that may clog the heater core. If none of the other things you try work, I would take the heater hoses loose and flush the heater core in both directions. I would also flush the rest of the system at the same time to help remove as much sludge as I can, if its present.
rsrocket1 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Nov 2017 at 08:53 am.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The 1.6 and 2.4 engines in their respective model chassis have their cooling systems designed to be self air bleeding.

The bleed valve on the thermostat housings of some model vehicles is primarily for bleeding after a cooling system flush and or coolant changes. Most vehicles still come factory equip with thermostats having a jiggle valve that helps control air in the cooling system. Some members have even made a mistake of trying to modify the thermostat drilling a hole in it damaging the thermostat. Unless you have enough air in the coolant system to have the engine going above the normal engine temperature I would suggest not attempting to remove the bleed valve at this time. Having coolant coming out of the bleed hole can spray onto belts and other components below causing more problems then what you have now.

How are you burping the radiator?

A180f thermostat would make the heater temperature around 100f opposed to 130f or more with a applicated 195f thermostat. Are you using a 195f thermostat?

If you can shortly after driving the Pt Cruiser feel the two heater hose lines near the fire wall. If they are still cold or just warm, you have a clog in the heater core. Remove the two lines as they connect to the metal tubing near the Cam sensor, don't remove them from the tubing near the fire wall as the cores are not meant to be tugged on or twisted trying to get the hoses off. Once you have the two heater lines disconnected at the side of the head use your garden hose to flush the heater core it self. Make sure you don't have more than 60 PSI pressure.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 27 Nov 2017 at 11:12 am.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 11:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
The 1.6 and 2.4 engines in their respective model chassis have their cooling systems designed to be self air bleeding...

A180f thermostat would make the heater temperature around 100f opposed to 130f or more with a applicated 195f thermostat. Are you using a 195f thermostat?
Hey Steve,

Chrissy has a 2.2 CRD engine.

Also, I don't believe you actually know what the temperature of the heater will be with respective thermostats. It's going to vary a whole lot with ambient air temperature along with other variables. I've warned you about getting information from that highly nefarious member by PM. As usual, he just makes up stuff and he doesn't care how it makes you look when you repeat it. But I care and it's not fair to you. The way I see it, you are a smart guy. Just stick to what you yourself know.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Nov 2017 at 11:58 am.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Handy thanks for reply looks like will have to flush heater have tried every thing else I have tried to to loosen bleed screw on rad it only turns quarter but no water comes out maybe I should try turning harder to loosen it do you know where to find where the heater hoses are one looks like it goes into egr the other goes to the back of engine can not see where it goes regards Chris
Old 27 Nov 2017, 04:35 pm
Banned

To add a little validity to my previous post about ptcruisersteve and/or NitroPT:

This is what Lynn posted in this thread (post #17) posted 02/18/15:

Water pump any to avoid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
AIRTEX

There are several reason, improved casting over other brands including OEM, less frictional fluid drag, timken bearing and seal. Proven engineering design to lower the chances of high RPM cavitation and improved water flow volume.

However all this good stuff on a daily driven PT cruiser may only be equal to most all the other brands? But if you want the better choice IMHO based on personal years experience selling and installing water pumps you will not go wrong with an AIRTEX.

nuff said!! ?
This is what Steve posted in this thread (post #4) posted 11/15/17:

2002 PT Cruiser Limited,what next...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I just put in a turbo Airtex water pump on my N/A 2007 Pt Cruiser when I changed my timing belt recently. I don't recommend a timing belt kit as there is always a different preferred brand for some of the components.

There are several reasons to look at an Airtex water pump. Improved casting over other brands including OEM, less frictional fluid drag, timken bearing and seal. Proven engineering design to lower the chances of high RPM cavitation and improved water flow volume. This turbo water pump fits my Pt Cruiser.
Note any similarities because I sure do

I have also sent a PM to CREWZIN for him to check my IP address
Currently awaiting his reply

Last edited by rckstein; 27 Nov 2017 at 04:44 pm.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 04:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
Hi Handy thanks for reply looks like will have to flush heater have tried every thing else I have tried to to loosen bleed screw on rad it only turns quarter but no water comes out maybe I should try turning harder to loosen it do you know where to find where the heater hoses are one looks like it goes into egr the other goes to the back of engine can not see where it goes regards Chris
Maybe someone knows how it works on that engine?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 27 Nov 2017 at 08:01 pm.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Hey Steve,

Chrissy has a 2.2 CRD engine.

Also, I don't believe you actually know what the temperature of the heater will be with respective thermostats. It's going to vary a whole lot with ambient air temperature along with other variables. I've warned you about getting information from that highly nefarious member by PM. As usual, he just makes up stuff and he doesn't care how it makes you look when you repeat it. But I care and it's not fair to you. The way I see it, you are a smart guy. Just stick to what you yourself know.

Handy, I am sorry that you can't read. Let me help you. If you read my post I am referring to the 1.6 and 2.4 engine.

Are you a dictator telling other members what they can do and not do?

I am sorry but I have the impression most of the information you post comes from the internet. It has been proven several times on this forum. Why don't you follow your own advice.
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 27 Nov 2017 at 06:29 pm.
Closed Thread