PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 pt cruiser engine needs to start twice

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2017, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 pt cruiser engine needs to start twice

My 2007 pt cruiser has a weird problem. When the engine is cold (overnight), the engine will crank but won't start in the first try. It will start in the second try. However, when engine is hot, it starts fine. Also, the check engine light is not on. The problem starts this Oct. when temperature starts to be low in the morning (32F). But because the car start eventually, the battery should be OK, right?

The engine cranks and it will start eventually, so the starter should be fine, right?

I tried to turn the key to ON without starting the engine and waited for a few seconds, the engine still could not start in the first try but will start in the second try. So I think the fuel pump and fuel filter should be fine, too.

I did an oil change this Sep. and the car past the NY state annual inspection this Oct.

So what do you think is wrong?

I'd like to take the car to a mechanics for an inspection. However, it seems that it is really hard to repeat the problem right away, and I don't want to leave the car there for a few days. I appreciate it very much, if anyone could point me to a possible cause.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by TDFF; 26 Nov 2017 at 07:22 pm.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 07:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 pt cruiser engine needs to start twice

Welcome to the forum from East Texas.

Check fuel pressure. Maybe leaking down overnight.

When you have a minute, go to the new member section and tell us more about you and your cruiser.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 26 Nov 2017, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
Welcome to the forum from East Texas.

Check fuel pressure. Maybe leaking down overnight.

When you have a minute, go to the new member section and tell us more about you and your cruiser.
If it is the fuel pressure, when I turn my key to ON without starting the engine, the fuel pump will start working and the fuel pressure will get back, right? In this case, if I wait for some time, the engine should start right away, right?

I tried this waiting for about 10-20 seconds, but I still need to start the engine twice.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDFF View Post
My 2007 pt cruiser has a weird problem. When the engine is cold (overnight), the engine will crank but won't start in the first try. It will start in the second try. However, when engine is hot, it starts fine. Also, the check engine light is not on. The problem starts this Oct. when temperature starts to be low in the morning (32F). But because the car start eventually, the battery should be OK, right?

The engine cranks and it will start eventually, so the starter should be fine, right?

I tried to turn the key to ON without starting the engine and waited for a few seconds, the engine still could not start in the first try but will start in the second try. So I think the fuel pump and fuel filter should be fine, too.

I did an oil change this Sep. and the car past the NY state annual inspection this Oct.

So what do you think is wrong?

I'd like to take the car to a mechanics for an inspection. However, it seems that it is really hard to repeat the problem right away, and I don't want to leave the car there for a few days. I appreciate it very much, if anyone could point me to a possible cause.

Thank you very much.
Welcome to the forum

Your PT sounds like it has the same problems as mine when the fuel pump was going out. After sitting overnight, it would have a long crank on a cold engine. But after starting and repeatedly shutting down and restarting numerous times throughout the day, it would run fine. Then hard to start again the next morning.

There is no fuel filter and you can have a fuel system pressure test done. Which I did have and the fuel pump was supplying enough pressure and the fuel injectors were not leaking down. Apparently there is a check valve in the fuel pump that was not holding the system pressure overnight but slowly leaking down. Had the fuel pump replaced 08/14 and has fired up within a few seconds ever since.

When you get a chance please go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create an intro thread.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
151k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 26 Nov 2017, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Welcome to the forum

Your PT sounds like it has the same problems as mine when the fuel pump was going out. After sitting overnight, it would have a long crank on a cold engine. But after starting and repeatedly shutting down and restarting numerous times throughout the day, it would run fine. Then hard to start again the next morning.

There is no fuel filter and you can have a fuel system pressure test done. Which I did have and the fuel pump was supplying enough pressure and the fuel injectors were not leaking down. Apparently there is a check valve in the fuel pump that was not holding the system pressure overnight but slowly leaking down. Had the fuel pump replaced 08/14 and has fired up within a few seconds ever since.

When you get a chance please go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create an intro thread.
So the trick I tried "turning the key to ON and wait then start" does not work? I thought when the fuel pump starts working, the pressure will be built up even if there is a pressure leak. I found this trick when I searched the internet.

Thank you for your reply. Then do you have any idea how to check if the pump is failing?
Old 26 Nov 2017, 08:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

When you turn the key on, the pump only runs about three seconds. Waiting longer doesn't build any extra pressure.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 26 Nov 2017, 08:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
When you turn the key on, the pump only runs about three seconds. Waiting longer doesn't build any extra pressure.
I see. Thank you very much. I will find some time to let the pump be checked and replaced.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 08:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
First thing I would suggest is to have a battery load test done. Sometimes batteries do not work properly affecting the electronics in the Pt Cruiser.

If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge I would suggest turning the key to the "On" position, wait 10 seconds, turn the key off for 5 seconds, and then back to the "On" position several times to see if it helps build up the fuel pressure. Then try starting it to see if it starts the first time.

Have you checked for engine trouble codes with the OBDII Scan Tool?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 26 Nov 2017 at 08:50 pm.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 09:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
First thing I would suggest is to have a battery load test done. Sometimes batteries do not work properly affecting the electronics in the Pt Cruiser.

If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge I would suggest turning the key to the "On" position, wait 10 seconds, turn the key off for 5 seconds, and then back to the "On" position several times to see if it helps build up the fuel pressure. Then try starting it to see if it starts the first time.

Have you checked for engine trouble codes with the OBDII Scan Tool?
I will try to turn the key ON and OFF several times tomorrow morning. Since the Check Engine Light does not illuminate, I haven't thought about checking codes. I may do it tomorrow as well. I will check the battery once I have time. Thank you very much.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 09:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDFF View Post
I will try to turn the key ON and OFF several times tomorrow morning. Since the Check Engine Light does not illuminate, I haven't thought about checking codes. I may do it tomorrow as well. I will check the battery once I have time. Thank you very much.
I remember a few months ago when one of the cells in my battery was going bad it took two times to start the engine. After I replaced the battery I didn't have that problem anymore. Try taking it to an Autozone or an auto parts store where they will test it for free.