• 1 Post By thecabinguy
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 3 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2017, 11:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser Ongoing Camshaft Issue

Hey guys, I have been trying to figure out an ongoing camshaft sensor issue on my PT cruiser (2006, 90k miles, base engine, automatic trans). About a week ago my car lost all power and began surging, and threw me a P0340 code (Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction). After checking the wiring harness for damage and checking that the sensor was getting voltage and grounding correctly, I ordered a new sensor and installed it. This seemed to fix the issue, until my car started to cough and stutter when shifting gears, and threw a P0016 (Crankshaft / Camshaft Timing Misalignment). I have spent a good amount of time trying to track down the issue, but have run out of ideas, and am stumped. Any help would be much appreciated, cheers!
Old 28 Nov 2017, 11:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser Ongoing Camshaft Issue

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you introduce yourself to the forum. Tell us about your Pt Cruiser.

P0016 Crankshaft/Camshaft Timing Misalignment

Possible Causes:
1. The camshaft timing is not correct
2. Intermittent condition Crankshaft or Camshaft Sensor signal
3. Tone wheel or pulse wheel is damaged or contains debris
4. Crankshaft or Camshaft Sensor, harness or connector has failed
5. PCM has failed

First I would reset the DTC and see if the same code P0016 comes back.

If P0016 comes back I would suggest checking to see if you have metal shavings on the target magnet.

If no shavings I would suggest removing the target magnet and inspect it for cracks. If no cracks are found put the target magnet back in but do not over torque it. See if that helps.

If none of the above helps I would suggest checking the wiring going to the crankshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor itself. Check the voltage going to it first.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 28 Nov 2017 at 11:51 pm.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbomers View Post
Hey guys, I have been trying to figure out an ongoing camshaft sensor issue on my PT cruiser (2006, 90k miles, base engine, automatic trans). About a week ago my car lost all power and began surging, and threw me a P0340 code (Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction). After checking the wiring harness for damage and checking that the sensor was getting voltage and grounding correctly, I ordered a new sensor and installed it. This seemed to fix the issue, until my car started to cough and stutter when shifting gears, and threw a P0016 (Crankshaft / Camshaft Timing Misalignment). I have spent a good amount of time trying to track down the issue, but have run out of ideas, and am stumped. Any help would be much appreciated, cheers!
Did you use a Mopar brand cam sensor? There's many reports of some aftermarket sensors not working correctly or giving issues after a while. I am no, "Mopar only" guy. But for all engine management sensors, it just makes sense to use Mopar if you can to help reduce this kind of nagging problem.

If me, I'd first go through the diagnostics as already advised. There have been cases of the magnets becoming weak. But these were mostly reported in early 2001/2002 PT's. If I couldn't find the issue, I'd return the magnet I got to the store for a refund. Then I'd try a different brand or I'd get Mopar if available. Usually you can get the Mopar cam sensor online for a price that's less or comparable to an aftermarket sensor in a local brick and mortar parts store.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 09:19 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You should also look at the cable connector going to the camshaft position sensor. Make sure it is not corroded and maybe run some contact cleaner over the contacts.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 12:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you introduce yourself to the forum. Tell us about your Pt Cruiser.

P0016 Crankshaft/Camshaft Timing Misalignment

Possible Causes:
1. The camshaft timing is not correct
2. Intermittent condition Crankshaft or Camshaft Sensor signal
3. Tone wheel or pulse wheel is damaged or contains debris
4. Crankshaft or Camshaft Sensor, harness or connector has failed
5. PCM has failed

First I would reset the DTC and see if the same code P0016 comes back.

If P0016 comes back I would suggest checking to see if you have metal shavings on the target magnet.

If no shavings I would suggest removing the target magnet and inspect it for cracks. If no cracks are found put the target magnet back in but do not over torque it. See if that helps.

If none of the above helps I would suggest checking the wiring going to the crankshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor itself. Check the voltage going to it first.
Well, a little off topic maybe, but a question. My two PTs ('02, 116,000 miles and '05 with 103,000 miles) both have never, not even once, ever had any sensors replaced (camshaft, crankshaft, oil, whatever). Is this something I should start being concerned about because of their age? Just wondering.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 29 Nov 2017, 07:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
Well, a little off topic maybe, but a question. My two PTs ('02, 116,000 miles and '05 with 103,000 miles) both have never, not even once, ever had any sensors replaced (camshaft, crankshaft, oil, whatever). Is this something I should start being concerned about because of their age? Just wondering.
If you go by reports on this forum, then the answer is yes. Many members with high-mileage PT's have reported cam sensor failure. On my 2005 GT, it went before 100,000 miles. I'm sure there's other members that have driven 200,000 or more miles without cam sensor failure. But there does appear to be a risk.

As a side note, if you go to a salvage yard you will often find that most of these same sensor have already been pulled for most Mopars that use them. Failure is so high, folks appears to be getting them very often. Also, if you find a high mileage salvage Mopar that still has it's cam sensor, it will often appear to have been changed at some point. This isn't always true of course, but it's enough anecdotal evidence to suggest a pattern. Changing this sensor is something I will now do with every PT I purchase.
thecabinguy likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Nov 2017 at 07:14 pm.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 07:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

I would suggest getting a new OEM Camshaft Position Sensor and put in your emergency box that stored in your Pt Cruiser with a tool to remove and install it. There is no reason to replace it right now if they are working properly. I have had my sensor go out and by pulling the battery cable and reconnect I was able to get my Pt Cruiser home and replace it there.
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 09:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
If it ain't broke don't fix it. These can just as easy be bad in short order new. I have personally changed back and forth two different sensors, one one one unknown after market. Would last 1500 or more miles t5 then act up. Last swap was the nasty gray aftermarket. Had several thousand miles still running when I sold it. So brand not that important. Besides we have no way to tell who is the current manufacturing company. They are one of the current aftermarket producer. Chrysler does not make parts. Just assembles them.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com