Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Macgyverman1123
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2017, 07:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default My Dumb Questions

Good evening Cruisers!

This is my first post, so forgive my ramblings, minimal expertise and general idiocy.

My '02 (Trim level unknown) has a few issues that I know of that I eventually will get to, but as for right now, I'm preparing for a long trip out west, so I want to make sure i'm all set to go.

Firstly. I have 151k miles. As best I know, the timing belt was changed at aroundabout 120K. If that's true, I'll leave it alone for a while. If not, I've got some major financial things to plan for. I have some mechanical expertise, but not a lot, so I don't think this is a job that I would want to tackle myself. Is there any way to verify when the belt was last changed? I know of a very good shop that I usually have do the things I'm too lazy to do. Would it be reasonable to ask them to pull the timing cover and see if it needs to be changed?

Also, my cruise control is not working. When I hit the on/off button, the light appears on the dash, so it has power, but when I try to hit set or any other function, nothing happens. The thingy that actuates the throttle has vacuum, i pulled the line off and could hear the air rushing in, so the lines are OK. Any ideas? At this point, I suspect the modulator and or the main computer.

Thanks in advance,

-John
rckstein and wingman55 like this.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My Dumb Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
Good evening Cruisers!

This is my first post, so forgive my ramblings, minimal expertise and general idiocy.

My '02 (Trim level unknown) has a few issues that I know of that I eventually will get to, but as for right now, I'm preparing for a long trip out west, so I want to make sure i'm all set to go.

Firstly. I have 151k miles. As best I know, the timing belt was changed at aroundabout 120K. If that's true, I'll leave it alone for a while. If not, I've got some major financial things to plan for. I have some mechanical expertise, but not a lot, so I don't think this is a job that I would want to tackle myself. Is there any way to verify when the belt was last changed? I know of a very good shop that I usually have do the things I'm too lazy to do. Would it be reasonable to ask them to pull the timing cover and see if it needs to be changed?

Also, my cruise control is not working. When I hit the on/off button, the light appears on the dash, so it has power, but when I try to hit set or any other function, nothing happens. The thingy that actuates the throttle has vacuum, i pulled the line off and could hear the air rushing in, so the lines are OK. Any ideas? At this point, I suspect the modulator and or the main computer.

Thanks in advance,

-John
Welcome to the forum

You could try going by any dealership and see if they can pull up the Chrysler service history on your PT. You might get lucky and the info might be there if the previous owner had the timing belt work done at a dealership. Or you could also pull a CARFAX on the car and see if the work appears on that, but not all shops report to CARFAX so that could be hit-or-miss if the info is on it. But there are many sources on Ebay selling a CARFAX report for just a few dollars, which is much cheaper than going through CARFAX for their report. If the info is not on there, then you would only be out a few dollars.

Where did you buy your PT from, dealership/auto lot or private party? If private party and from the original owner, you could ask them for any previous service work invoices and they may give you what they have.

When you get a chance, please go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create an intro thread
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
157k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 30 Nov 2017, 08:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: My Dumb Questions

Thank you!

I got it private party from a family mine has known for 30 years. Half of them are mechanics, so I know the car was cared for well. To the best of their knowledge, it was done around 120K.

I'll see what I can learn from my local Chrysler dealership, but they tend to be more of a Stealership...