Battery light on with code P2504

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By philly1224

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2017, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery light on with code P2504

Hello All,

My wife drove my 2010 PT Cruiser about a week ago and reported the battery light came on the dash when she was driving. I didn't think much of it, but then it happened to me while driving today. It first happened on my way to work, but I'm not sure what I was doing when it came on (was not on startup or close to it). The second time it happened, I KNOW I was making a wide left turn when it came on (but that could just be circumstantial). The car seems to turn on fine and the only indication I noticed was a slight change/flicker in amount of light produced by headlights (but only a couple times the entire time while driving).

I went home and did the "key dance" and got back code P2504.

From limited research, I'm guessing that it could be the alternator not fully working? ...not sure. I would think I would be seeing more problems or a constant light indicator if the alternator was truly bad.

Help/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 30 Nov 2017, 07:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery light on with code P2504

P2504 - Charging System Voltage High

Possible causes:

1. Faulty Generator
2. Generator harness is open or shorted
3. Generator circuit poor electrical connection
4. Faulty PCM

I would suggest you might have a short in the generator circuit causing the generator to generate higher voltages. Check all the wiring going to the generator and see if any of the wires are touching ground. This might explain the change in battery voltage when your Pt Cruiser is in motion if one of the wires is bumping against ground.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 30 Nov 2017 at 07:32 pm.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You could try going by any auto parts store, most have a machine that they can hook up the battery, while still in the vehicle, and it can test the battery, starter and alternator all in just a few minutes.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 01 Dec 2017, 12:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the responses. I agree that it is a good idea to get it checked by one of the auto places.

The light did not turn on at all today, so I'm guessing it is something to do with the wiring as well.

Hopefully I won't have to replace the alternator. I looked up youtube videos of how to do it and MAN did Chrysler make a normal task EXTREMELY difficult. I would have to have my mechanic do it.

About a month ago I had my mechanic change the timing belt and other belts, so I would hope he would notice if the belt wasn't moving smoothly (indicating a bad alternator).
Old 01 Dec 2017, 04:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

When you had the timing belt replaced, maybe your "mechanic" unplugged the alternator and now the plug is loose. IDK, just suggesting. And depending on how many miles you have on it, maybe the brushes in the alternator just need replacing. If so, you'll still have to pull it out.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 23 Jan 2018, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but it turns out it was just loose battery terminals. It messed me up because they were both loose and the car ended up dying once . At least it was a simple fix.