Advertisements
Compiling all Iíve learned into one thread

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kcabe1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2017, 06:36 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Compiling all Iíve learned into one thread

I think itís time I poured out all my knowledge of these cars to all of you fellow PT enthusiasts. As we all know modifying these cars can be iffy due to the little aftermarket support we get with these cars. The purpose of this thread is to give knowledge to those seeking more out of their cars, both N/A and Turbocharged models. I originally joined this forum for help and now I think itís time I have back.

First off, and a big question from a lot of the people with N/A motors here, can a 2.4 swap be done cost effectively and within a reasonable time frame?

The answer is yes, with the right tools and preparation.

If you plan on undertaking a project like this it is best that you be prepared for the task. You will want to have all the parts ready before you attempt it. Trust me I know from my own mistakes and experiences.

You will need: srt4 motor, transmission (highly discourage using the 41te), engine, engine bay, dash, and interior harness, GT cluster, shifter assembly, coolant resovoir from the GT, ecu from the GT or Turbo Lite, cv axles from either a getrag or nvt350, either transmission will work, although highly reccomend getting a south bend clutch for the NVT, shifter assembly, pedal assembly (bolts right in no problems whatsoever) clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, and lines (pull it out of the donor vehicle all together to keep pressure intact!), and shifter cables. You will also need a throwout bearing but I would buy that new. I also recommend you purchase booger bushings. Get a neon transmission mount. If you donít you will have a really hard time mounting the motor. You will need to drill extra holes for the neon mount. Only one hole lines up with the neon mount. That will be enough to keep the motor in the car, I advise not running the car until you fill all the holes with bolts, itís kind of sketchy driving with only a bolt holding the mount in.

The motor is pull out drop in. Easiest way to remove both motor and transmission is to remove the front end of the car. It is not hard at all, just a lot of bolts. You must remove radiator, front crash bar, a lot of other things. Make sure the car is on jackstands before attempting this. Get a hoist and wrap the motor and transmission in chains or straps then remove the trans mount, and the 3 motor mounts, disconnect all motor harness plugs and vacuum lines and make sure you unbolt the cv axles and struts, and motor will come straight out. Reverse for installing the motor.

Make sure the motors cooling system is flushed, and oil flow is adequate. The best way to do this swap is to buy a motor in great condition. My mistake was buying a shitty motor.

Once everything is wired up, motor mounted, fluids in, you should be good to go. This is obviously condensed so make sure to do your own research as well. The most expensive part of the swap will be the motor. Getting a good motor from the get go is the key to making the swap work properly.

Hopefully this helps someone
chuzz likes this.
Old 01 Dec 2017, 06:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Compiling all Iíve learned into one thread

Aftermarket parts that you can get for these cars:

~ANY neon mounts, including transmission mount.
(The transmission mount requires drilling additional holes but it is 100% worth the work. It makes it 1000x easier to line up the transmission.)
~Any aftermarket neon turbo, turbo manifold, bov, and intercooler, so long as they fit.
~Big oil filter kit
~remote oil coolers
~nvt350 on both turbo and non-turbo motors
~Neon struts on front end
~virtually any neon motor part.

These cars have plenty of aftermarket support, thereís even a BC coilover set for these cars. You just have to look and be willing to spend some money.
Old 01 Dec 2017, 06:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Before modifying your turbo motor I’d recommend the following:
~change oil, filter, spark plugs (NGK 4306, fancy plugs do nothing until a certain power point)
~valve cover gasket, pan gasket, belts
~make sure the motor has decent milage 100k or less, (unless you were the only owner and took great care of the Car)
~check motor mounts for wear
~sea foam the car, change hoses, flush cooling system.

After this you should be ready to go.

Before modifying your NA I’d recommend the following:

All of the above, with the addition of:

Replace your oil pressure sending unit (Avoid false alarms!)

Last edited by kcabe1; 01 Dec 2017 at 07:03 am.
Old 01 Dec 2017, 07:02 am
Regular Cruiser

Good NA Mods:
Catback exhaust system with high flow muffler
Cold air intake
High flow catalytic converter
Bigger throttle body
Ported headers or aftermarket
Better injectors
Better spark plugs
420a harmonic balancer aftermarket
Aftermarket cams and cam wheels
Good oil filter
Air fuel ratio gauge
Walbro 255 lpH
Booger bushings (manual)
Old 01 Dec 2017, 11:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

Did you get the speedometer working?
Old 01 Dec 2017, 01:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

As long as you have a manual harness the speed will work
Old 01 Dec 2017, 02:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

so... you are saying it is not working currently.

to be clear, i'm not trying to be a jerk.. i just want people to be aware of a possible serious headache as there is a pretty technical problem here that sound like it could be a nightmare for all but the most technical of users.

the fix on page two is beyond my scope of tinkering..
Splicing manual speed sensor on an auto harness
and that is just a getrag to t350 conversion on a factory turbo car. your speedometer conversion has so far never been accomplished. this would be a deal breaker for me. like after you buy and swap a million parts and get it running and plated, you'll then need to be the first person ever to figure out how to wire up the speedometer.

good post, but be sure to warn people of these things before they read what you write and decide to dive in.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 08:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

The atx trans mount works for the T350 mtx. I have the original trans mount in my atx car holding the T350. Not sure if it is the same for the Getrag trans.
2004 Touring Turbo Lite, Hahn 20g turbo, ATX ->T350 5-speed swap, mtx stage 1 pcm, DiabloSport InTune, rear sway bar, Wilwood big front brakes, rear disc brake conversion, Drop Zone springs, SRT4 dual exhaust
Old 15 Dec 2017, 12:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN