PT Cruiser Forum

PT Cruiser Forum (http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/)
-   Tech & Performance Forum (http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/tech-performance-forum/)
-   -   Pt Cruiser 08 clicking noise (http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/tech-performance-forum/65266-pt-cruiser-08-clicking-noise.html)

robotwoine 05 Dec 2017 12:42 pm

Pt Cruiser 08 clicking noise

My cruiser has just recently started making a clicking noise from the engine. It happens in a regular pattern/rhythm and only when the vehicle is idling in gear. When I put it in park the noise goes away. Also, the engine idles roughly. The entire car vibrates whenever I知 idling regardless of whether or not I知 in gear. There have been no check engine lights and I just put oil in it. Anyone familiar with this problem? I can provide more info when I get home. Thank you!

rsrocket1 05 Dec 2017 03:52 pm

Re: Pt Cruiser 08 clicking noise

Welcome to the forum,
You should fill out your profile, and introduce yourself in the new member's section.

08 Base?,
engine (2.4?)
(turbo/non-turbo?)
miles?
how long have you owned it?

Is it a real clicking sound or could it possibly be a periodic squeak?

If it makes the noise when you are stopped and in gear, does it make the noise when you are moving and accelerating? Which side does it appear to be coming from (front/back/left/right)?

This would all help.

ptcruisersteve 05 Dec 2017 04:21 pm

If I am reading the post correctly you might want to check and see if your engine mounts are loose. If loose enough it might be hitting on something with the engine moving backwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtIL7HGJ-Xg

robotwoine 06 Dec 2017 10:37 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsrocket1 (Post 677297)
Welcome to the forum,
You should fill out your profile, and introduce yourself in the new member's section.

08 Base?,
engine (2.4?)
(turbo/non-turbo?)
miles?
how long have you owned it?

Is it a real clicking sound or could it possibly be a periodic squeak?

If it makes the noise when you are stopped and in gear, does it make the noise when you are moving and accelerating? Which side does it appear to be coming from (front/back/left/right)?

This would all help.

Thank you. It's a 2.4 non-turbo with around 120,000 miles. I've owned it for a little over a year now. I'm fairly positive it's a loud clicking noise. It never changes pattern and always clicks at about the same speed. I can't pinpoint the location but it's definitely coming from the front of the vehicle. I notice it when I'm in drive, and it goes away when I accelerate (or if it's making the noise anymore I can't hear it).

For example, I was in a drive thru yesterday. I had the car in drive and my foot on the brake. I could hear the noise while the car was stopped and as I coasted it forward. However, the moment I put it in park the noise went away. It will regularly do that, without fail I know the noise will disappear if I put it in park.

Also, the car idles roughly and drives pretty rough as well. I'm far from an expert when it comes to car mechanics but I know it shouldn't be idling THAT roughly.

ptcruisersteve 06 Dec 2017 10:56 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by robotwoine (Post 677346)
Thank you. It's a 2.4 non-turbo with around 120,000 miles. I've owned it for a little over a year now. I'm fairly positive it's a loud clicking noise. It never changes pattern and always clicks at about the same speed. I can't pinpoint the location but it's definitely coming from the front of the vehicle. I notice it when I'm in drive, and it goes away when I accelerate (or if it's making the noise anymore I can't hear it).

For example, I was in a drive thru yesterday. I had the car in drive and my foot on the brake. I could hear the noise while the car was stopped and as I coasted it forward. However, the moment I put it in park the noise went away. It will regularly do that, without fail I know the noise will disappear if I put it in park.

Also, the car idles roughly and drives pretty rough as well. I'm far from an expert when it comes to car mechanics but I know it shouldn't be idling THAT roughly.

You might want to consider my suggestion in post #3. All it takes is another person inside the Pt Cruiser and you looking at the engine to see if the engine is moving excessively backwards making clicking sounds. You will have a better chance of locating where the clicking noise is coming from.

robotwoine 06 Dec 2017 11:12 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve (Post 677347)
You might want to consider my suggestion in post #3. All it takes is another person inside the Pt Cruiser and you looking at the engine to see if the engine is moving excessively backwards making clicking sounds. You will have a better chance of locating where the clicking noise is coming from.

I'll definitely do that when I get out of work. I meant to reply to your video but youtube is blocked at my workplace. I suppose their trying to make us be productive or something. :p

chuzz 07 Dec 2017 08:02 am

Check your belt tensioner.

JDK52 07 Dec 2017 05:02 pm

Chuzz has brought up a point to consider.

If you have not your replaced your timing belt and associated components - the idler and tensioner pulleys as well as the waterpump can make noise.

Also, the idler pulley and tensioner for the power steering can be worn and making a noise.

Any of the 3 belts may also make noise if they are missing a chunk here and there.

Good luck.

My02RedRide 07 Dec 2017 05:20 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by robotwoine (Post 677274)
My cruiser has just recently started making a clicking noise from the engine. It happens in a regular pattern/rhythm and only when the vehicle is idling in gear. When I put it in park the noise goes away. Also, the engine idles roughly. The entire car vibrates whenever I知 idling regardless of whether or not I知 in gear. There have been no check engine lights and I just put oil in it. Anyone familiar with this problem? I can provide more info when I get home. Thank you!

Did the engine idle roughness start the same time the clicking noise started? No check engine light is not unusual. You say it happens when in gear and idling (700 RPM) .... try to raise the throttle to say 1500 - 2000 RPM while in gear and tell us what happens. Explain what you mean when you said you just put oil in it? Was it very low, a quart low or just changed the oil completely?

ptcruisersteve 07 Dec 2017 06:38 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by My02RedRide (Post 677453)
Did the engine idle roughness start the same time the clicking noise started? No check engine light is not unusual. You say it happens when in gear and idling (700 RPM) .... try to raise the throttle to say 1500 - 2000 RPM while in gear and tell us what happens. Explain what you mean when you said you just put oil in it? Was it very low, a quart low or just changed the oil completely?

Quote:

Originally Posted by robotwoine (Post 677274)
The entire car vibrates whenever I知 idling regardless of whether or not I知 in gear.

The entire car vibrating is not normal. This is unusual. I would still check the motor mounts first.