PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt Cruiser 08 clicking noise

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2017, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pt Cruiser 08 clicking noise

My cruiser has just recently started making a clicking noise from the engine. It happens in a regular pattern/rhythm and only when the vehicle is idling in gear. When I put it in park the noise goes away. Also, the engine idles roughly. The entire car vibrates whenever I知 idling regardless of whether or not I知 in gear. There have been no check engine lights and I just put oil in it. Anyone familiar with this problem? I can provide more info when I get home. Thank you!
Old 05 Dec 2017, 03:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Pt Cruiser 08 clicking noise

Welcome to the forum,
You should fill out your profile, and introduce yourself in the new member's section.

08 Base?,
engine (2.4?)
(turbo/non-turbo?)
miles?
how long have you owned it?

Is it a real clicking sound or could it possibly be a periodic squeak?

If it makes the noise when you are stopped and in gear, does it make the noise when you are moving and accelerating? Which side does it appear to be coming from (front/back/left/right)?

This would all help.
Old 05 Dec 2017, 04:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If I am reading the post correctly you might want to check and see if your engine mounts are loose. If loose enough it might be hitting on something with the engine moving backwards.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 05 Dec 2017 at 04:25 pm.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 10:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Welcome to the forum,
You should fill out your profile, and introduce yourself in the new member's section.

08 Base?,
engine (2.4?)
(turbo/non-turbo?)
miles?
how long have you owned it?

Is it a real clicking sound or could it possibly be a periodic squeak?

If it makes the noise when you are stopped and in gear, does it make the noise when you are moving and accelerating? Which side does it appear to be coming from (front/back/left/right)?

This would all help.
Thank you. It's a 2.4 non-turbo with around 120,000 miles. I've owned it for a little over a year now. I'm fairly positive it's a loud clicking noise. It never changes pattern and always clicks at about the same speed. I can't pinpoint the location but it's definitely coming from the front of the vehicle. I notice it when I'm in drive, and it goes away when I accelerate (or if it's making the noise anymore I can't hear it).

For example, I was in a drive thru yesterday. I had the car in drive and my foot on the brake. I could hear the noise while the car was stopped and as I coasted it forward. However, the moment I put it in park the noise went away. It will regularly do that, without fail I know the noise will disappear if I put it in park.

Also, the car idles roughly and drives pretty rough as well. I'm far from an expert when it comes to car mechanics but I know it shouldn't be idling THAT roughly.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotwoine View Post
Thank you. It's a 2.4 non-turbo with around 120,000 miles. I've owned it for a little over a year now. I'm fairly positive it's a loud clicking noise. It never changes pattern and always clicks at about the same speed. I can't pinpoint the location but it's definitely coming from the front of the vehicle. I notice it when I'm in drive, and it goes away when I accelerate (or if it's making the noise anymore I can't hear it).

For example, I was in a drive thru yesterday. I had the car in drive and my foot on the brake. I could hear the noise while the car was stopped and as I coasted it forward. However, the moment I put it in park the noise went away. It will regularly do that, without fail I know the noise will disappear if I put it in park.

Also, the car idles roughly and drives pretty rough as well. I'm far from an expert when it comes to car mechanics but I know it shouldn't be idling THAT roughly.
You might want to consider my suggestion in post #3. All it takes is another person inside the Pt Cruiser and you looking at the engine to see if the engine is moving excessively backwards making clicking sounds. You will have a better chance of locating where the clicking noise is coming from.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 06 Dec 2017 at 11:00 am.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 11:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
You might want to consider my suggestion in post #3. All it takes is another person inside the Pt Cruiser and you looking at the engine to see if the engine is moving excessively backwards making clicking sounds. You will have a better chance of locating where the clicking noise is coming from.
I'll definitely do that when I get out of work. I meant to reply to your video but youtube is blocked at my workplace. I suppose their trying to make us be productive or something.
Old 07 Dec 2017, 08:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

Check your belt tensioner.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 07 Dec 2017, 05:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Chuzz has brought up a point to consider.

If you have not your replaced your timing belt and associated components - the idler and tensioner pulleys as well as the waterpump can make noise.

Also, the idler pulley and tensioner for the power steering can be worn and making a noise.

Any of the 3 belts may also make noise if they are missing a chunk here and there.

Good luck.
Old 07 Dec 2017, 05:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
My cruiser has just recently started making a clicking noise from the engine. It happens in a regular pattern/rhythm and only when the vehicle is idling in gear. When I put it in park the noise goes away. Also, the engine idles roughly. The entire car vibrates whenever I知 idling regardless of whether or not I知 in gear. There have been no check engine lights and I just put oil in it. Anyone familiar with this problem? I can provide more info when I get home. Thank you!
Did the engine idle roughness start the same time the clicking noise started? No check engine light is not unusual. You say it happens when in gear and idling (700 RPM) .... try to raise the throttle to say 1500 - 2000 RPM while in gear and tell us what happens. Explain what you mean when you said you just put oil in it? Was it very low, a quart low or just changed the oil completely?
Old 07 Dec 2017, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by My02RedRide View Post
Did the engine idle roughness start the same time the clicking noise started? No check engine light is not unusual. You say it happens when in gear and idling (700 RPM) .... try to raise the throttle to say 1500 - 2000 RPM while in gear and tell us what happens. Explain what you mean when you said you just put oil in it? Was it very low, a quart low or just changed the oil completely?
Quote:
The entire car vibrates whenever I知 idling regardless of whether or not I知 in gear.
The entire car vibrating is not normal. This is unusual. I would still check the motor mounts first.

Tags
gear, idle, noise, park