PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PCM replacement advice please

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2017, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PCM replacement advice please

OK, I've spent an hour trying to search this forum. When I search for PCM, I get "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. " Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anyway here is my question. I'm sure this has been answered, but can't find it here.

To recap, I believe my PCM has a bad coil driver. P2302 How to confirm bad PCM?

What I know. I will need to have the new PCM flashed with my VIN and mileage.

Question. Which of the many sources of PCMs are recommended?

Any experiences are welcomed and if there are recent threads the links would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 06 Dec 2017, 02:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: PCM replacement advice please

There are a few refurbishers out there like ACR (All Computer Resources), SIA Electronics etc. While they do have their own websites, the vast majority of them also list on ebay. It is why I gave you the part numbers to search for in your other thread. You can also search for "2004 pt cruiser ecu", ecm, pcm etc. I also sell them on ebay too.

You only really need the VIN programmed. There is a mileage counter in the pcm too, but that is not is what is shown in your instrument cluster. Whether you program 1 mi or 100000, the mileage on your cluster is the only one shown. The mileage counter in the pcm is there for failure tracking only I believe.

Anyway, as far as the refurbishers go, they seem to be hit and miss on the first pcm they send you. Be prepared to be sending them back and forth a couple of times before you get a good one. It has been posted many times here on the forums that people have had to try and send back a couple of them before receiving a good one. It seems that even when one is sent back to them, they put it back into the rotation to be send out to next customers.

I also sell there. I can sell you one and you can try it out. If it doesn't fix your problem, then you can send it back for a refund. You would be only responsible for the shipping both ways.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 03:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, I have done the google search, that is why I'm asking if I should just go with the cheapest or if there are sites to avoid. There are a number of sites that list my PCM.

Are the re-manufactured really re-manufactured?

Thanks,
Old 06 Dec 2017, 04:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
OK, I've spent an hour trying to search this forum. When I search for PCM, I get "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. " Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
need to be minimum four letters to use the forum search. forum search fucntion is awful though. try this next time:

MUCH better results doing it like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
here is the best way to search this forum using google. in my example i'm searching for 'odometer'.

in google, type the following:
site:ptcruiserlinks.com "odometer"

for multiple words it's used like this:
site:ptcruiserlinks.com "odometer" "error"

if you want only threads with "odometer" in the thread title, you'd type
site:ptcruiserlinks.com inurl:odometer

site:ptcruiserlinks.com inurl:odometer inurl:error

if you want it to find odometer in the title and error in the text, you'd do it like this:
site:ptcruiserlinks.com inurl:odometer error
or
site:ptcruiserlinks.com error inurl:odometer

if you still don't get it, click here to see it in action
Old 06 Dec 2017, 06:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yea, that is what I figured. Not sure why the administrators chose 4 letters minimum, oh well.

I was actually using Google to search here, it is the same dance on other forums hosted by vbulletin.

FWIW, I just got back from O'whatever auto parts and their PCMs come un-flashed! Lot of good that will do.

Thanks,.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 07:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I bought a PCM from this Ebay source back in 05/17:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-PT...1X4uzW&vxp=mtr

Haven't had any problems with it.

It was $150 with a lifetime warranty for one for my NA, the Turbo PCM's can be closer to $500. Also after installing it you might need to take your PT to a dealership or high end transmission shop so that they can program in the Quick Learn for the transmission:

Handy_Cruiser and myckee like this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
157k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 07 Dec 2017 at 07:20 am.
Old 08 Dec 2017, 09:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Yup the quick learn is good. While it is something you are supposed to do, you may or may not need to. When you install the pcm and if your car is shifting normally, then the minor differences will be accommodated automatically since the computer is always learning. It will learn the new values from the trans over time. But if you notice a change in shifting then definitely get a quick learn. It shouldn't cost much for it. Any repair shop with a shop level scanner can find that option in their device. Once the car is warmed up, it only takes a few moments for them to do.

As far as whether the refurbishers are actually doing any refurbishing...who knows. But my logic says that for all the labour involved to open, clean off the sealant, remove and replace soldered on components on the board, re-seal the board and close it up, and then sell them on ebay for $150 with a lifetime warranty; it seems unlikely. It seems like a lot of time and work involved for such a small payout.

Last edited by myckee; 08 Dec 2017 at 09:31 am.
Old 08 Dec 2017, 10:53 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Yup the quick learn is good. While it is something you are supposed to do, you may or may not need to. When you install the pcm and if your car is shifting normally, then the minor differences will be accommodated automatically since the computer is always learning. It will learn the new values from the trans over time. But if you notice a change in shifting then definitely get a quick learn. It shouldn't cost much for it. Any repair shop with a shop level scanner can find that option in their device. Once the car is warmed up, it only takes a few moments for them to do.

As far as whether the refurbishers are actually doing any refurbishing...who knows. But my logic says that for all the labour involved to open, clean off the sealant, remove and replace soldered on components on the board, re-seal the board and close it up, and then sell them on ebay for $150 with a lifetime warranty; it seems unlikely. It seems like a lot of time and work involved for such a small payout.
Are there any consumer level scanners that can do this?

I know with my Abarth, I can use the Canbus cables and connect my OBD2 adapter to any of the onboard computers and access all of that. But the '03 GT I have is pre-Canbus.
#1: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth in Rosso RED (MAD FIAT)
#2: 2003 PT Cruiser GT in Boring Beige
Old 09 Dec 2017, 02:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwyne View Post
Are there any consumer level scanners that can do this?

I know with my Abarth, I can use the Canbus cables and connect my OBD2 adapter to any of the onboard computers and access all of that. But the '03 GT I have is pre-Canbus.
There may be some, but I personally am not aware of any such models. I would guess you would be looking at around $500 on ebay for a used older device that is capable.
Old 16 Dec 2017, 04:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: PCM replacement advice Follow up

OK, finally got my replacement PCM in the mail. All is good so far. Plugged in the new PCM and it started right up, with no codes. It drives and shifts fine.

I used Flagship One. I'm not endorsing them, but they do have a lifetime warranty, good price, the correct part number, and correctly programed with my VIN.

To recap, my PT went down on two cylinders. After confirming the wiring to be OK, I tested with my old school test light, the trigger signal to the coil. Good on one coil, not good on the other.
P2302 How to confirm bad PCM?