PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 Pt Gt Convertible - 5 speed Oil Cooler???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2017, 01:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 Pt Gt Convertible - 5 speed Oil Cooler???

Hi All,

Recently smelled a little coolant after parking my Gt in the driveway, pulled out and noticed a little coolant leak on driveway. Currently away at college so I took it up to my local shop and they diagnosed it as follows:

Coolant hose - # 4884303AC - $150
Coolant Return Hose - # 4884297AE - $171
Oil Cooler - # 4884242AD - $230

After some research and poking around in the SRT-4 forums, I have come to realize that the oil cooler has been updated from 4884242AC to the part # above. It looks like some people have gotten around this part in some ways. Just hoping to get some advice on what to do and whether or not this is a job I can do myself. My father has huge background in car maintenance and has plenty of equipment but little time.

Also the prices above seem extremely high compared to MOPAR etc.

Thank you!
Old 11 Dec 2017, 07:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Pt Gt Convertible - 5 speed Oil Cooler???

welcome to trying to get a shop to do the work. If it is a remote cooler, you can do that yours self, but if It is a leak, I doubt you need all 3 of those pieces, unless you're leaking from each of them. I'd put it on jack stands and look at the cooler yourself and see where the leak is coming from and do it your self.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 11 Dec 2017, 07:27 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen1026 View Post
Hi All,

Recently smelled a little coolant after parking my Gt in the driveway, pulled out and noticed a little coolant leak on driveway. Currently away at college so I took it up to my local shop and they diagnosed it as follows:

Coolant hose - # 4884303AC - $150
Coolant Return Hose - # 4884297AE - $171
Oil Cooler - # 4884242AD - $230

After some research and poking around in the SRT-4 forums, I have come to realize that the oil cooler has been updated from 4884242AC to the part # above. It looks like some people have gotten around this part in some ways. Just hoping to get some advice on what to do and whether or not this is a job I can do myself. My father has huge background in car maintenance and has plenty of equipment but little time.

Also the prices above seem extremely high compared to MOPAR etc.

Thank you!
I searched the RockAuto website for all 3 parts and they offer the genuine MOPAR parts for $239.57 total (plus shipping) vs. your shop of $551.

MOPAR 4884303AC Oil Cooler Line | RockAuto

MOPAR 4884297AE Oil Cooler Line | RockAuto

MOPAR 4884242AD Oil Cooler | RockAuto

What kind of a shop gave you those prices, dealership or other? Most shops double the parts prices as they have to provide a warranty on their labor should the part go bad.

I would check with a dealership first and verify the part numbers before ordering off RockAuto as the 2 hoses in your list, RockAuto shows them for the Gen2. But checking with your dealership, they will use the VIN and give you the correct part numbers of what you need for your PT. But IMO, for the parts you need, RockAuto seems to have very good prices for the genuine MOPAR parts.

Sometimes the RockAuto website doesn't always filter the correct parts for your vehicle, but if you have a part number, especially a MOPAR one, just enter it in their search box.

I found that out with a TIPM that my PT needed. They didn't show the correct one available for my PT, but when I searched by the part number, they offered it at a very good price.

Last edited by rckstein; 11 Dec 2017 at 07:29 pm.
Old 15 Dec 2017, 12:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well I figured there would be a mark up on price, but double is insane. It's just a random mechanic here in town with decent reviews. I verified the parts with the dealership in town, they have the lines in stock but the cooler itself they have to ship from San Antonio (also what mechanic said).

I guess I was mostly wondering if anyone has had this leak and what they did with it. Some people say they've replaced the cooler with a new one, but the original is discountinued so they had to retrofit the lines. Or they have gotten rid of the cooler altogether and gone with a bigger filter.

Thanks for replies!

Every Grandma - "That's a sweet ride!"
Old 21 Dec 2017, 01:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I guess the local shop was scamming. Dealer says it's coolant hoses costing about $350. Wish I could do myself but no jack or stands here at college :/

Every Grandma - "That's a sweet ride!"

Tags
coolant, oil cooler