Cooling fan, again....

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By soyomb
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2017, 09:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cooling fan, again....

I retired my '07 Touring Edition about a year ago with 178,000 miles on the clock...and cooling fan #5 under the hood. Now my '09 Touring Edition has just gotten cooling fan #2 installed with 40,000 miles on the clock. A new fan every 40k miles...seems about right, huh? This time I installed a Dorman...we'll see if that solves the problem (that Chrysler should have solved years ago!). Has anyone else had any luck with a cooling fan that lasts longer?
Old 14 Dec 2017, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cooling fan, again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNavyVet View Post
I retired my '07 Touring Edition about a year ago with 178,000 miles on the clock...and cooling fan #5 under the hood. Now my '09 Touring Edition has just gotten cooling fan #2 installed with 40,000 miles on the clock. A new fan every 40k miles...seems about right, huh? This time I installed a Dorman...we'll see if that solves the problem (that Chrysler should have solved years ago!). Has anyone else had any luck with a cooling fan that lasts longer?
In my opinion how long the radiator fan lasts depends on how often you use the A/C. On my Pt Cruiser I rarely use the A/C and it has 111,000 miles on it with the original radiator fan. My wife's uses her A/C all the time and she is on her third radiator fan with almost 100,000 miles. Also where you live also has a major affect on how long the radiator fan is going to last. Comparing different brand radiator fans is not going to be easy unless all of the variables are the same.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 11:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Don't have an answer to your query but if I remember Dorman fans come with a lifetime warranty so if it takes a dump you'll only be out the labor of install.
VsandFords likes this.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 02:45 pm
Banned

The original factory fan went out at 27 months, and 29,000 miles. Living in Texas, I run the a/c quite a bit in my PT.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 03:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

When i bought my '01 in March of 2014 with 93,000 miles, the fan was bad. Replaced it with a Dorman. I have 120,000 miles now with no problems. Added bonus, as soyomb stated, lifetime warranty!

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 14 Dec 2017, 03:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

If it was me I would buy the Dorman because of the lifetime warranty.

That said, I have noticed that over the past couple of months, my favourite online parts supplier, Rock Auto, has stopped selling Dorman products completely. It is just strange that they have dumped Dorman completely. I don't know what, or how much can be read into that, but it has got to be a big hit for Dorman to lose such a big customer.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
If it was me I would buy the Dorman because of the lifetime warranty.

That said, I have noticed that over the past couple of months, my favourite online parts supplier, Rock Auto, has stopped selling Dorman products completely. It is just strange that they have dumped Dorman completely. I don't know what, or how much can be read into that, but it has got to be a big hit for Dorman to lose such a big customer.
Maybe Rock Auto stopped selling Dorman products because of the constant labor costs of shipping returns and sending another Dorman product from being on lifetime warranty.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 08:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Id recommend changing the doorman out for free ever 35,000. Better than over heating, at the wrong time. I wrote to them about it. They told me 40,000 is a lot of miles. She passed my info on to someone.
Old 15 Dec 2017, 08:06 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Maybe Rock Auto stopped selling Dorman products because of the constant labor costs of shipping returns and sending another Dorman product from being on lifetime warranty.
Back in July/August Rock Auto said it will quit selling Dorman because Dorman required that they sell at the same price as everyone else (price fixing).

If you have an Autozone near you, you can get a lifetime warranty fan. The bad news is that it costs close to double the mail order price ($144). The good news is that if you replace it more than once in the remaining lifetime of the car, you come out ahead.

You could also replace just the brushes for ~$32 or $16/pair but it is a little more labor intensive because you have to disassemble the motor.
Old 15 Dec 2017, 08:37 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Back in July/August Rock Auto said it will quit selling Dorman because Dorman required that they sell at the same price as everyone else (price fixing).

If you have an Autozone near you, you can get a lifetime warranty fan. The bad news is that it costs close to double the mail order price ($144). The good news is that if you replace it more than once in the remaining lifetime of the car, you come out ahead.

You could also replace just the brushes for ~$32 or $16/pair but it is a little more labor intensive because you have to disassemble the motor.
I bought a Dorman TIPM for my PT from RockAuto, as they had the best price I could find. Most other sources that offered the same Dorman TIPM, were all pretty much the same price, the only thing that varied was the shipping charges.

Then shortly after that, another member needed a TIPM and when I went back to the RA website, they no longer carried the one I bought. Must have been about the same time that they quit carrying the Dorman line.