PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Would a Different Air Intake Improve Performance?

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2017, 12:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Would a Different Air Intake Improve Performance?

I have a 2003 base Cruiser. Would an aftermarket air-intake system improve performance? I drive daily 30min commute on the interstate at 70MPH.
Old 21 Dec 2017, 07:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Would a Different Air Intake Improve Performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFrazeur View Post
I have a 2003 base Cruiser. Would an aftermarket air-intake system improve performance? I drive daily 30min commute on the interstate at 70MPH.
On a natural aspirated engine minimal at best. Cost is a factor. The only difference would be the noise increase. I kept the stock box and filter but modified the inlet on the lower to install a 3 inch PVC pipe in the same place. The round adapter with a square flat flange I got at local Autozone for $10, the PVC elbow was $4. Look in the forum for "air box mod" and you'll see what I'm talking about. You WANT cool air from the same location in the left fender area.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by My02RedRide; 21 Dec 2017 at 10:33 am.
Old 21 Dec 2017, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I think a couple members that have a NA PT Cruiser may have other idea's about any improvement? Check with wwpptc and his modded NA and what he said about the CAI he made for his PT.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Dec 2017, 09:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I think a couple members that have a NA PT Cruiser may have other idea's about any improvement? Check with wwpptc and his modded NA and what he said about the CAI he made for his PT.
send me the link
Old 21 Dec 2017, 09:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFrazeur View Post
+1 at what My02RedRider said. The OEM air filter mod is a good one. Some, (such as CREWZIN, I believe), have reported a slight perceived increase in acceleration with this mod. To my knowledge, no one has posted any actual dyno results to confirm or refute performance gains with this mod. You will find that some folks like to say stuff like this doesn't work despite many first-hand claims that they do by the people that have actually done the mods. However, without real measurements on a dyno, no one can truthfully say one way or another.

For me, I just added a modded CAI on my 2001 Limited. It made a neat engine sound and looked nice. Here's a link:

The "Handy" Air Intake Mod

Also, Sykes tuning has a performance tune for the NA PT Cruiser. I know he offers it for the early (2001/2002) PT's, but may be able to load something similar in a 2003 thru 2005 PCM as well. You would have to call him to check. Beyond this, adding performance to an NA PT Cruiser starts getting expensive and is not really worth it since turbo PT's don't cost much more than NA PT's right now. I was able to sell my 2001 Limited and purchase a 2005 GT for only around $100 more than I got for the Limited. If you need more power than the stock NA PT offers, trading to a turbo PT is really the best and is often the least expensive option.
My02RedRide and the3dgm like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Dec 2017 at 10:34 am.
Old 21 Dec 2017, 09:47 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Short answer. . . NO! Make sure your car is in a good state of tune, air filter is clean, fluids are at the correct level then sit back and enjoy the drive.

Just my $0.02.
Old 21 Dec 2017, 11:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

on my car getting rid of the factory airbox made it come alive a bit right at 4,000 rpm. with the stock air box and a regular filter my car had a definite flat spot there which disappeared when the airbox disappeared.
recommend you take the airbox out and drive it for a day with no filter or tube and see if you like it. if you do, upgrade stuff. if not, leave it be.

i think you'd like it. ..plus it'll sound better.
dougs, Handy_Cruiser and CRUZ like this.

Last edited by rob302; 21 Dec 2017 at 11:34 am.
Old 21 Dec 2017, 11:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I am firm believer the use of a chassis Dyno to gain personal information results pertaining to upgrades if it be a single item or several changes. However the simple use of monitoring gauges can give "REAL WORLD information that will show even slight gaines if one sets up a base line that can be repeated.

The other thing is many report "BUTT DYNO" information based on the sence mostly of sound that translates to meaning more gains in power that really is not there. MPG is highly subjective because of way to many variables.
A few that can see results of many changes done to a vehicle.
ULtraGauge
Autometer D-Pic
PLX

and many many more........

First choice for many more reasons that mentioned in this response:
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

20171220_140331_resize1.jpg
the3dgm likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Dec 2017 at 02:03 pm. Reason: added picture
Old 21 Dec 2017, 12:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Capture.jpg

see the little dip in the torques? i could feel it. was probably a bigger dip on my car. intake on it's there, intake off it's gone. i had the stock intake back on for a while and it was back. i took the airbox back off it was gone again.

i could feel the difference. for sure. no dyno required. it didn't make it feel fast, but with the stock parts intact the flat spot in acceleration was noticeable.

i can't imagine anyone so bored and loose with cash that they would have a stock NA PT dyno'd just to do a back to back intake test. lol.. which is why i encourage removing the stuff and trying it.
dougs and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 21 Dec 2017, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
Attachment 26796

see the little dip in the torques? i could feel it. was probably a bigger dip on my car. intake on it's there, intake off it's gone. i had the stock intake back on for a while and it was back. i took the airbox back off it was gone again.

i could feel the difference. for sure. no dyno required. it didn't make it feel fast, but with the stock parts intact the flat spot in acceleration was noticeable.

i can't imagine anyone so bored and loose with cash that they would have a stock NA PT dyno'd just to do a back to back intake test. lol.. which is why i encourage removing the stuff and trying it.
To me, that's the point anyway. Whether it just sounds better, looks better or feels more powerful, that's the real end goal anyway for many folks when it comes to street performance for a PT Cruiser. Plus, when a lot of folks have a positive experience with a mod like this, I give those reports a lot of weight. Just another reason forums like this are great.
CRUZ likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Dec 2017 at 01:38 pm.